Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:20:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRamBros [All American Co-Op Shooter] - Demo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: RamBros [All American Co-Op Shooter] - Demo  (Read 74404 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »

RamBros Devlog

FOR THE GODS OF WAR AND USA!

RamBros is a 1 or 2 player pixel shooter with light story elements about kicking ass in the name of FREEDOM and the greatest country in the galaxy - the USA YEEE HAW!!  Enforce freedom and stabilize foreign governments at gunpoint, with bullets.  Best thing since the Second Amendment.

Devlog Updates?

This will be updated several times a week.

Free or Pay?

Base game free!   $5 for storymode/scoreboard/OST/minor extras.      

contact?

[email protected]

Screenshots!

Videos! (Latest First) (Going to start just posting links, the images are getting over the top)

IN GUNS AND GOD WE TRUST!

Thank you to RamSteelwood for your service to your country naming this fine ALL AMERICAN creation.

OLD STUFF/ORIGINAL POST:

So thought id track my progress over the next week or 3 of a little flash/app 2 player shooter im working on solo now, I started about a week ago now and I thought id hold out a little to make sure I was actually going to put some effort into finishing it, so here is what I got so far... [Ignore the music, its just some old tunes from one of my older games that I had lying around- hopefully someone out there can help me with some chiptune music.]

Next things to be done are more levels, two player (hence the god awful name), and hunting down someone who can rock some sweet chiptune music.  The game started as a sort of homage to megaman, then bionic commando n metal slug all mashed into one, with a little bit of meat boy and the jumper series, but its kinda evolved over the last few days.  The game basically boils down to time power-fucking really short levels with a high chance of death (I edited most of the deaths out of the video- but you will be dying alot), each level will last 10-20 seconds or so with any luck.

Ill post the first few levels as a demo pretty soon, just want to get 2 player/xbox controller support/main menu stuff sorted before that, hopefully in a few days.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:04:10 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:49:30 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked LOVE.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »

Evil
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »

Sweet glad you guys are liking it, Im doing the into screen and map screen today, ill put another video up in a few hours after I duck out for a bit, speaking of that... Ill be away all of next week but when I am around Ill do my best to update the thread with new video/screenshots/progress until the games done, hopefully every day or every second day...

Now I just need to figure out how to map controls in MMF2 without breaking everything  Cheesy

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:12:43 AM »

Menu work today, and started the intro screen and map screen, kinda want to borrow fairly heavily from bionic commando and metal slug for these parts, as usual music and sfx are temporary, with exception to a few sound effects on the opener, hopefully can find someone to do a better voice over of the title  Cheesy

Two player and controls are basic but working as you can see at the end of the video, tomorrow its nailing down all the weapon specific stuff and setting the keyboard/joypad/xbox controller stuff up so people don't have to share keyboards if they don't want to.

Name is kinda growing on me, in a really bad cheesy way.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 05:20:23 AM »

Nice job with the menu and map select, it's looking awesome. Love the weapon outlines also, looking really good.

Siro
Level 0

Knowledge brings fear - Futurama

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:57:32 AM »

I really like this! Looking forward to play it... Smiley
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 11:12:01 PM »

Cheers guys, got the key mapping working all good now, though I cant seem to figure out how to get xbox support for flash in MMF, so flash might have to ship without rumble and all that.  Now its onto weapon collection + weapon specifics and the places where weapons are collected, towns.

Im planning 7 weapons, and a whole heap of similar misc items that are pretty much a straight borrow from bionic commando (flares and such), to save cluster-fucking this post with images and videos, ill be putting all the specific stuff (concepts, individual art, etc) up on my newly created blog http://farmergnome.blogspot.com/.  So weapons time, onwards, Ill post a video tonight here once they are all working, and hopefully with a crude-ish town scene.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »

New update, towns working, weapons working, fucking finally.  Ignore the key input screen, still working on that, that and the town looks a bit shitty at this stage.  Today Ill tidy up those screens in addition to doing a dogfighting minigame for when you go over the enemies on the map, bionic commando style.  Ill put some of the sprites up on my blog today, especially the f-14 once its done  Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:50:40 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:15:33 PM »

Todays update, was kinda delayed due to me thinking I wanted to do the SOPA gamedev ludum dare jam, but then decided not to, so spending ages on youtube watching SOPA related stuff chipped into my dev time  Cheesy

Heres the update:

Ill put up a video tonight hopefully with some 2 player dogfighting gameplay, fingers crossed.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 07:32:19 PM »

Heh, cool. So if one player gets in the ship and not the other, what happens? Also, is this 2P only, will a CPU player fill in for the second player, or neither?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:35:18 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »

This just keeps getting better and better. Dogfighting is looking great  Kiss

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »

Wow, just wow. I love the art and the aerial gameplay looks like it will be great.

Don't change the style either if you were considering it, I love the shadows.

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:52:22 PM »

Heh, cool. So if one player gets in the ship and not the other, what happens? Also, is this 2P only, will a CPU player fill in for the second player, or neither?

Basically if you ever played bionic commando on the map screen there are roaming (Trucks from memory) enemies, once you collide with them you go into a minigame screen, similar here except gonna rock some topgun action, players will just spawn in planes in the sky.  I was considering doing a CPU fill in, but im gonna leave it out of the first version, since it may get anoying for some players as my ability to code AI isn't the greatest.

Don't change the style either if you were considering it, I love the shadows.

I think the shadows are here to stay, its actually a awesome pixel shader from the MMF2 forums, I cant remember the name of the guy who did it but its awesome.

Another quick edit:  I was thinking about adding a 2 hit system similar to super ghosts and goblins, to make it a little more forgiving, probably play with this tonight.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:18:17 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »

Another video update today, menus are almost as cleaned up as they need to be, ive added a short little video of some of the menus and dogfighting minigame, still needs a bit of graphical work.  Found a musician also so thats good news, today Ill be smashing around some enemy fighter plane sprites, and hopefully do something with the towns because they are kinda dull at the moment.

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

Aerial combat seems to be shaping up and the overall project seems to be pulling together.

How long do you think development is going to take?

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »

Another 2 weeks, but ive got a bit of a holiday in the middle, so another 3 weeks I reckon.  Ill put up something playableish soon though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:44:10 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »

Tonight's progress, or lack of, is the revised intro screen.  Man I wasted so much time on this one tonight, I have new found respect for those epic early 90s code animated intros.  So apart from losing almost an entire day to trying to nail the arcadey intro thing, Im still not all that happy with it, I think ill come back to it another day as there is more important gameplay stuff to sort out.

quick edit: I figured out what to do with towns also, they are gonna kinda be like a rampage level where you just go and shoot a whole heap of off duty enemy patrols, its pretty fun.

Hopefully I should be able to start pulling out all the temp contra music pretty soon and putting some original stuff in, it looks like it will be after my holiday at this rate, so a week or so, but I will have to start temping some of the sounds in pretty soon I think.

I also tested out the mmf2 flash exporter if anyone is using mmf2, it actually works pretty nicely, might give the IOS exporter a shot soon see how much trouble it is to get this running also...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:18:02 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »

Sorry you wasted your time yesterday but it was defietely worth it, looks great! Grin

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »

This looks so frickin sweet.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic