Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:54:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesMacarena of the Missing [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Macarena of the Missing [FINISHED]  (Read 86941 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:52:34 AM »

Macarena of the Missing
A bootleg demake of Limbo of the Lost

Trigger Warning: transphobia

Download (32 megs)
Mirror 1
(Thanks to Rob Fearon of Retro Remakes for his generous file hosting.)

You are Admiral Horatio Nelson, the hero of the Battle of Trafalgar. After being tragically shot in battle, your soul finds its way to the ethereal dimension of Macarena, where you must settle an old score between Fate and Destiny.

Controls:
Left click: Move/Interact/Interrupt (when cursor shows rude gesture)
Double-click on arrows to fast-travel.
Right click: Look
Escape: Bring up save/load menu in-game
M: Toggle overworld music in-game

Features:
* Excessively long conversations with NPCs such as the plumber Minestrone or the muscle-bound gun maniac Dick Fallout.
* The innovative TalkToTheHandTM dialog interruption system.
* A single voice actor.
* Music courtesy of an old three octave Yamaha non-midi keyboard
* Item based inventory puzzles that skirt the edge of reason.
* Extreme pixellated closeups.
* Suspiciously familiar background art, music, and characters

Backgrounds:
sergiocornaga - Chess, Hell, Moon
Noyb - All the crappy looking ones

Game Screenshots courtesy of:
FriendlyRhinoceros - Double Fault!
Robson - Debrysis
Oddbob - Dance of the Slightly Misplaced (many)
Pishtaco - S.T.A.C.K.E.R.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:13:45 PM by Noyb » Logged

Oddbob
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 05:12:03 AM »

All seems to be working fine here. I got me a 1&3 for good luck.

Also: Fantastic title.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 05:49:02 AM »

Also: Fantastic title.
Thanks. Smiley

I updated the engine (link still in first post) to include a point-and-click walking system plus multiple rooms. There are no new interaction types or voiceovers, although I added a few background items for Horatio Nelson to comment on.

I'm probably not going to implement pathfinding, but I'm still thinking about whether I want the sprite to walk near objects to use them or not. I'm also not sure if the room transitions might be a bit too jarring at the moment. Once I tidy up the movement, then it's on to the save/load feature then making the game proper (although I have the major puzzles and items already planned in a doc). I appreciate any feedback before I get too far along.

The backgrounds in the engine are temporary, being shameless rips from Nintendo screenshots. While thematically appropriate, it's not quite allowed. Would anyone be willing to help make backgrounds or let me borrow some from one of your games? The viewable area is 320x175 pixels.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:05:17 PM »

The viewable area is 320x175 pixels.
Just resize them for your needs Smiley
Well, I don't want to just steal them without asking. Cool

The engine now supports object walking behaviors. When clicking on an object you can use it immediately, use it after walking as close as you can even if you are not touching it, or only use it if you are touching it depending on how I set it up. The updated download is in the first post. This should conclude the feature part of the engine, apart from a save/load system.

Again, I'd appreciate comments on the engine before I go on to the scary, scary task of starting the game itself. Luckily, I've got some puzzle ideas lined up that are possibly even more evil (but hopefully more logical) than putting a sleeping man to sleep with his own snot or using gold teeth as railroad rivets (both actual puzzles from Limbo of the Lost, I kid you not.)

I'm still looking for artists for backgrounds (320 x 175, mostly bootlegs of old NES games), sprites (16x32, mostly single direction standing plus front-view talking, although the main character sprite and a few others would need walking animations and a few special ones), and inventory items (32x32, plus whatever the in-world representation would be). All would be minimal color, though they don't have to conform to any retro palletes or anything. If not, I'd love it if you'd let me "rip" a background from your own game, keeping in theme. Smiley

Edit: Heck, if anyone just feels like contributing a single sprite or two, it'd probably help the game when the art styles change wildly.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:49:51 PM by Noyb » Logged

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:47:22 PM »

Do you hear voices?
I hear voices. (2mb, character voice tests.)

Working on the conversations. Like Limbo of the Lost, they will be long, they will be uninteractive, they will be painful, they will all be voiced by the same person, they will all end with you getting an item. Unlike Limbo of the Lost they will thankfully be skippable, with a button that allows Admiral Horatio Nelson to interrupt the conversation at any point to demand the requisite item.

Friendly Rhinoceros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:07:55 PM »

I really like this idea.  I haven't had time to try out the engine, but if I do I'll be sure to post some impressions.

Just wanted to say you can feel free to use art from Double Fault!, my tennis game.  It doesn't follow any specific palette, but it has an 8bit feel to it.  Here's a screen, or you can download it and take your own.  The .zip's media folder also has sprite sheets for both players (just hitting the ball) and the rest of the art as well, if you want just the court or something.  Use as much or as little as you want!

I'll also dig up the walk cycle from King of Public Transit, if you want, but it's probably way too big compared to the rest of the art.  Might be good for a giant?

Good luck with this!  It looks like it's shaping up to be a fun little game with a very bootleggish feel.  It'll be great if it's anywhere near as funny as Apophenia Smiley

Edit: I got to play the demo this morning.  Horatio got stuck in the corner by the 6 on the Metroid screen, but that was before I realized there was no pathfinding.  After that the movement worked fine for me.  I thought the voices and lip animations were spot-on.

One thing I didn't like: I don't know if hiding the cursor during conversations is customary for this sort of game, but I found it to be really disorienting.  I don't know if you're going for that, but if you aren't, I would prefer the cursor to always be visible.

I hope you're able to finish this, because after playing I'm looking forward to it.  Keep up the good work and great voice acting!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:55:16 AM by FriendlyRhinoceros » Logged
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »

Just wanted to say you can feel free to use art from Double Fault!, my tennis game.  It doesn't follow any specific palette, but it has an 8bit feel to it.  Here's a screen, or you can download it and take your own.  The .zip's media folder also has sprite sheets for both players (just hitting the ball) and the rest of the art as well, if you want just the court or something.  Use as much or as little as you want!
Awesome. Thanks! Smiley

Edit: I got to play the demo this morning.  Horatio got stuck in the corner by the 6 on the Metroid screen, but that was before I realized there was no pathfinding.  After that the movement worked fine for me.  I thought the voices and lip animations were spot-on.

One thing I didn't like: I don't know if hiding the cursor during conversations is customary for this sort of game, but I found it to be really disorienting.  I don't know if you're going for that, but if you aren't, I would prefer the cursor to always be visible.

I hope you're able to finish this, because after playing I'm looking forward to it.  Keep up the good work and great voice acting!
Yeah, I probably should make some kind of custom cursor that dims out when you can't interact instead of just hiding the cursor. Thanks for the kind words.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 11:22:38 AM »

I combined 2 certain items and after that, I was stumped.

I am probably too dumb for this.

The voice acting, concept and writing were awesome though.

Let me think... yup, you're an idiot. =>  :D
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 05:13:52 PM »

Thanks! I'm pretty sure though a Lost Vikings fan isn't too dumb for anything this game will throw at you. Gentleman
But yeah, that's the limit of the interactivity in the engine. More a proof-of-concept than anything, although that should cover the features I'm planning.

Almost done writing the absurdly long main dialogues (13 pages so far). Then comes a hopefully simple save/load and then the game proper. Still not sure if I'll be able to produce this much art myself, and I've got no idea what to do about music, but I'll hopefully have something to show by the deadline.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 07:56:22 AM »

Cheesy save/load menu featuring a familiar skull? Check!

Finally got saving and loading to work. Next up is implementing the puzzle logic, then recording all the dialogue, and then somehow generating/begging for all the art and music to hopefully replace my awful programmer art. WTF

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »

Puzzles are go.

Got the three major multi-step puzzles finished and coded, which took my beta testers about an hour to figure out with minimal prodding. Conversations are not yet recorded, and the rooms all have a terrible monochrome background. I guess you're all tired of me begging, but I'd still love to printscreen steal borrow backgrounds from any of the bootlegs.

PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 06:04:45 AM »

Puzzles are go.

Got the three major multi-step puzzles finished and coded, which took my beta testers about an hour to figure out with minimal prodding. Conversations are not yet recorded, and the rooms all have a terrible monochrome background. I guess you're all tired of me begging, but I'd still love to printscreen steal borrow backgrounds from any of the bootlegs.
Give me some time to finish up The Black And White Plane and I'll PM you some shots. I take it you want just the background?
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:42:47 AM »

Give me some time to finish up The Black And White Plane and I'll PM you some shots. I take it you want just the background?
Awesome! Thanks. Backgrounds are fine. Smiley

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 06:15:39 PM »

Screen with FriendlyRhinoceros's tennis background and a new cursor.

Been slowly chugging away at the game. The gameplay itself is complete, but I still have art, sound, and dialogue to do, not to mention an intro and ending. I have been focusing mostly on the conversations recently. I've recorded dialogue for five of the characters so far, which comes out to a crazy 295 lines and 20 megabytes (!) of OGG files. Anyone know a better compression system than Audacity's basic OGG files, or what's a good bitrate to downsample speech?

Edit: Okay, Audacity's default 96,000 Hz is pretty costly. Going to try and find a way to automate downsampling these when I'm done. (And yes, I'll back them up first.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:42:28 PM by Noyb » Logged

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »

Finished a big commitment this month, so I actually have free time to finish up the last mad dash. Got all but two of the main dialogues voiced totaling to a whopping 479 voiced lines so far. And that's not even counting the as yet uncreated intro and ending, as well as all the look/use comments. Found the batch conversion tool in audacity, so hopefully the final version will have a slightly more reasonable filesize with compressed voice. Got a long week ahead of me. Tired

I also did a bit of work on the sprites, just so they weren't five-second crappy modifications of my Mario sprite. You can see the new ones here, if you don't mind having the characters spoiled before the final version. I'm not too happy with some of them, although they're mostly better than those with that ubiquitous mustache.

Great idea! You're very welcome to use the screenshots from Dysaster - although they're all in ascii! Roll Eyes
Awesome. The more absurd the better.  :D

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 02:19:37 AM »

You're welcome to anything from S.T.A.C.K.E.R., if you can find anything usable there.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:39 PM »

Background by Oddbob

Background by Pishtaco

Background by Robson

Started implementing some of the donated backgrounds I received. Thanks to all who donated! Special props to Oddbob for letting me use the backgrounds for his sadly abandoned demake. Still have some rooms missing backgrounds, but it's shaping up great.

I also finished recording the last of the main in-game conversations, bringing the dialogue total up to a crazy 650 lines. And if that sounds like too much to endure, you're able to rudely interrupt the characters' rants for nearly all of the conversations. I still have quite a bit of work to do, including creating an intro and an ending, voicing them, adding in hotspots to the new backgrounds, voicing them, and polishing up some of the talking and puzzle solution animations.

Oh, and I have no idea what I'm going to do for music at the moment. Anyone up for making something? (I'm thinking something melancholy and atmospheric with the occasional few bars from a recognizable tune for the game itself) If all else fails, then I guess I can use classical music midis or something.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »

Finally added in the introduction today, including a straightforward room escape puzzle. Next up is the endgame, then going back and recording all the stray pieces of dialogue, then trying to see how I can fill in the gaps in the backgrounds, sounds, and music. I'm almost positive I'll have something to release, since the game is playable from the beginning to just before the end at the moment. Anyone able to beta test later this week?

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 07:52:26 PM »

Finished recording dialogues and programming in the ending tonight, so the game is now playable from beginning to end, albeit in a rough state: missing half its backgrounds, all the extraneous recorded comments on items, all sound effects, and a few animations.

I'm still looking for more backgrounds and beta testers. Let me know if you're interested. Due credit will be given. Smiley

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 02:04:14 AM »

Are you saying you recorded voice acting for 650 lines of dialogue? By yourself? That is chest-hurtingly awesome.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic