Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:13:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBrogue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Brogue  (Read 16557 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »

No sympathy for the guy who didn't bother to check his surroundings.  Shrug

iffi
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »

Man, what's all this nonsense.
I just use everything to identify it.
Scroll? Read it. Probably die from the effects.
Potion? Ditto.
Staff? Shoot it at an enemy.
Ring? PUT IT ON.
This is why I suck :c
Haha, that's what I do as well. I sometimes even zap staves at myself...

btw: theres at least one popular roguelike (IVAN namely) without any item identification stuff.
I'm pretty sure that DoomRL also doesn't have any item identification stuff. It's quite simple for a roguelike in many other ways as well.

Monkeys gangbanged me and stole all my junk.
That feeling when they've stolen your darts...

Edit: I just got rid of a bunch of enemies around me by quaffing a potion of levitation and then a potion of descent. Discovering techniques like this is why I like roguelikes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:37:49 PM by iffi » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 06:41:51 AM »

i just had a phenomenal run. i was on level 10 with 2 ogre followers, a wand of polymorph and a ring of transference +5. both my armor (banded mail) and my weapon (sword) were protected against acid. i also had all the important potions and scrolls identified.

and then the game froze.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 06:53:27 AM »

I have yet to ascend, but my best runs so far have been:

Level 19 -- I had a +8 spear of quietus, protected, and some sort of decent but not great armor (I think it was +2 banded armor).  Things were going awesomely, until I was going down a hallway and 2 revenants surrounded me and destroyed me (I had found no offensive staffs and a wand of slowing wasn't going to do anything).

Level 18 -- I had a +10 Staff of Conjuration, 2 Trolls, a Naga, and 2 Dar Blademasters.  Things were going swimmingly until a pixie discorded up everyone. I tried to use my Conjuration to get some distance from them, but the Blademasters wound up destroying me.
Ashkin
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »

Oh man, Rings of Clairyvoyance (I CAN SPELL GOOD LOL) are great.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »

stealth rings are p nice too. i always enjoy playing stealthy characters in roguelikes
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »

Stealth, Clairvoyance, and Awareness are the best general use rings.  They are pretty much always useful, no questions asked.  The other rings are all useful, but either only in specific builds (wisdom and transference) or leveled up (regeneration [which typically isn't worth it]).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »

btw: have you guys heard the roguelike radio interview with brian walker, the author of brogue? it's pretty cool to listen to while playing the game. one thing that struck me as interesting are his plans to maybe eventually abandon leveling in the future.

http://roguelikeradio.blogspot.com/2011/10/interview-brian-walker-aka-pender.html
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »

I would totally be down for abandoning leveling.  He's essentially shunted most of the leveling into the enchantment scrolls and strength potions, so I could totally see it disappearing.
iffi
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »

I'm not sure what leveling even does in Brogue, so I could see it happening without much issue.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 02:32:37 PM »

Yeah this game is pretty much amazing. It's so simple and intuitive yet challenging that I can see it being enjoyable for just about anyone.

On my first run I found a Transference ring and enchanted it until it restored something like 60% of my damage to health per hit. I had a spear equipped too so I was totally slaughtering stuff. Unfortunately, I had not yet figured out that picking up keys from altars basically means instant death for most characters.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »

I'm not sure what leveling even does in Brogue, so I could see it happening without much issue.
leveling increases health. i think that's it.

and yeah i really like the way character building works with the enchantment scrolls. a prime example of clever streamlining that doesn't sacrifice depth imo.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »

To my knowledge leveling does the following:
1) Increases health (I don't know at what rate)
2) Increases strength by 1 every 2 levels

So, if leveling was removed, strength requirements would have to be lessened marginally (or more potions provided) and health/damage would have to scale differently.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 05:22:16 PM »

leveling does definitely not increase strength. only potions do.
Yougiedeggs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »

Unless things have changed, I remember leveling having an effect on percent chance to hit.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 06:56:03 PM »

How often do the best Brogue players win? I know in Nethack you can win like 80-90% of games if you're good enough, but I'm sure that involves using a lot of boring exploits, like pudding farming or polypiling.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »

The farthest I ever made it was like level 6 spectral blades and jellies do me in.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »

How often do the best Brogue players win? I know in Nethack you can win like 80-90% of games if you're good enough, but I'm sure that involves using a lot of boring exploits, like pudding farming or polypiling.

Roughly equal to Spelunky's win ratio, IIRC. Wink

That's not a BAD thing, either.

Ashkin
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 10:45:11 PM »

Made it to level 13 now due to a bizarre series of mishaps.
The weirdest part was when I got stuck in a spider's web, so I decided to use one of my two (soon to be three) firebolt staffs to zap the jerk. Naturally, the spiderwebs got set on fire (it was my first time seeing a spider okay) and I was burning. So I stumbled two steps away and fell into a trapdoor.
I fell one level below into shallow water, extinguishing the fire. Then I wandered around the next level a little bit, before falling into another trapdoor. I fell through, and into a pit in the next level, going down two levels from one trapdoor. Landed on the next floor, STILL alive (probably due to my +5 unknown runic chainmail, whatever that means). Then I was chased by a salamander and a wraith. I was running down a one-way area and some swamp gas came into view with a zombie in it.
Didn't really have the choice to go down there because the salamander would blow us all to kingdom come, so instead I got backed against some lava, being attacked by a zombie, a salamander and a wraith.
I died like a hero. Puking and on fire.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 01:01:06 AM »

I got thinking; why in a roguelike have I never seen an enemy bigger than 1x1?(one symbol)(maybe I just haven't played the right ones, of course)
Does Brogue have any supra-large enemies?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic