Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:55:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBrogue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Brogue  (Read 16560 times)
Yougiedeggs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »

I hope Pender removes leveling ASAP, as leveling is the only thing that encourages killing enemies. It doesn't fit into the freeform design of Brogue, and would be much better without it.

EDIT: Someone on the Brogue forums was complaining that monkeys weren't interesting, just annoying. For one, I think in keeping with the roguelike tradition of interacting mechanics, allied monkeys should be able to steal from your enemies, giving you what they steal. What they would steal, I dunno, but it could make monkeys worthwhile to try and keep alive.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:45:20 PM by Yougiedeggs » Logged
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2012, 05:57:30 AM »

Someone on the Brogue forums was complaining that monkeys weren't interesting, just annoying. For one, I think in keeping with the roguelike tradition of interacting mechanics, allied monkeys should be able to steal from your enemies, giving you what they steal. What they would steal, I dunno, but it could make monkeys worthwhile to try and keep alive.

I was totally disappointed the first time I got a monkey ally and he didn't try to steal stuff.  Some of the enemies do actually have items (only Ogre Shamans and Goblin Conjurers in my experience, probably Dar Priestesses as well at least), so I'd love for monkeys to try to steal from them.

I have a decent game going now, I have a +8 Spear of Speed which gives me a 70% chance of getting an extra turn upon a hit. That combined with an Ogre buddy and a +4 stave of haste has been working well.  On level 10 with 6 healing potions, 3 detect magics, and a host of other potions.  Feeling pretty good about this run.
iffi
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2012, 02:36:46 AM »

I was shredding through all my enemies like they were nothing with my +5 war axe, and got down to level 11 (second-best run so far). Then I stepped on a pressure plate that released paralyzing gas, and spectral blades took down all my health while I was paralyzed. Angry
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2012, 05:58:39 AM »

So yeah. Good playing still leading to circumstancial instadeath. To that I really question:

Is it just "the Rogue thing?" Or does the game - and perhaps even the entire genre as a whole - suffer from some degree of tremendous imbalance? There is absolutely zero margin of error allowed in pretty much any runthrough. I can understand maybe two mistakes made in quick succession leading to demise, but it seems like the first misstep the player makes beyond the 5th story leads to a near-certain game-ending scenario.

Although the stuff like the door keys and natural balance of environmental factors and stuff that *will* appear - and within your reach, no less - to deal with those obstacles is so enticing to replay!

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2012, 06:03:21 AM »

So yeah. Good playing still leading to circumstancial instadeath. To that I really question:

Is it just "the Rogue thing?" Or does the game - and perhaps even the entire genre as a whole - suffer from some degree of tremendous imbalance? There is absolutely zero margin of error allowed in pretty much any runthrough. I can understand maybe two mistakes made in quick succession leading to demise, but it seems like the first misstep the player makes beyond the 5th story leads to a near-certain game-ending scenario.

Although the stuff like the door keys and natural balance of environmental factors and stuff that *will* appear - and within your reach, no less - to deal with those obstacles is so enticing to replay!

I don't think the margins are quite that bad.  
1) Not checking for traps isn't good playing (although I think the searching mechanism is a bit busted right now.  I think that it should have a definite radius and it should 100% of the time find everything inside of the radius.  There have been tons of times where I know where a door is, but the game insists I need to search 10 times for it to find it)
2) I regularly make mistakes below level 5 and it typically isn't my downfall.  I mean, I've started fights with Jellies in open areas, accidentally hit acid slimes (have to be careful with spears and axes), etc. and still recovered and gotten to level 18-19.

EDIT:
Not Brogue specific, but I was talking to someone yesterday and they said, "I think Roguelikes would be a great fit on Facebook.  They have so many natural places for monetization."  Now, let's all shudder.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2012, 06:12:26 AM »

My habit is usually "move a space, hit search, move a space, hit search." If a place is really open (like 6 spaces or more), I'll alternate diagonals in movement. So going right is like "move up-right, search, move down-right, search." I also love Rings of Awareness, since they double as doing that too.

I could understand having a 2-space 100%-find radius, followed by a chancey area.

st33d
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2012, 06:36:05 AM »

EDIT:
Not Brogue specific, but I was talking to someone yesterday and they said, "I think Roguelikes would be a great fit on Facebook.  They have so many natural places for monetization."  Now, let's all shudder.

Did you tell them about the permadeath?

A hilarious fate for virtual monies.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:32 AM »

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/816/brogueuntoldriches.png

Cash money money cash. Here is my first victorious character. Go, me!

Now I have to see if I can win without actually going enchant-crazy with a ring of regeneration. I want to try a wisdom build next. Of course, that means I'll have to keep restarting until I actually get a ring of wisdom.

Things I learned during this run:
Don't mess with dragons, seriously. You will die if they sneeze on you. If you see a dragon, cast discord or entrancement on them and hope that someone else will deal with them for you.
On that note, the staff of entrancement was surprisingly effective. It lets you put distance between yourself and a dangerous monster, giving you precious time to breathe. It can also be used to make monsters walk into lava and die instantly.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:29:40 AM by Nillo » Logged

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
iffi
« Reply #88 on: February 29, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »

EDIT:
Yesterday I was also thinking about something like that. Pay real money to revive your character from "permadeath"!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 29, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »

EDIT:
as long as the current open source/freeware driven roguelike scene continues to exist i couldnt care less.
Uykered
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2012, 11:48:48 PM »

Yesterday I was also thinking about something like that. Pay real money to revive your character from "permadeath"!

This has already been done in arcades, you can pay to revive ("continue") and ruin the game.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2012, 12:36:28 AM »

why hasn't someone made an ultimate roguelike auto-updater library yet.

every single time I go to play any rogeulike, I find I have an older version and have to redownload it.

first world problem #999394
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2012, 04:05:15 AM »

EDIT:
as long as the current open source/freeware driven roguelike scene continues to exist i couldnt care less.

Oh, certainly.  I think it's the dumbest idea in the world for multiple reasons, but whatever idiots can have dreams too.

Had a good game going last night.  Got to level 20, a first for me, and felt invincible.  I had +11 staff of conjuration, a +3 ring of wisdom, and 7 Troll bodyguards.  I was going along, and my Trolls decided to go fight elsewhere.  I didn't think anything of it, since that happens a fair amount.  I then ran into them, a dar priestess, dar blademaster, and dar battlemage and the Trolls were all discordant.  The priestess kept the blademaster and battlemage hasted up, me slowed, and the battlemage kept dispelling my swords almost as fast as I could make them.  I finally ran out of charges and promptly died.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »

After numerous failed attempts to try a novel or unique strategy, I have come to the conclusion that the ring of regeneration is the only item worth anything.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »

brogue is so pretty that it makes me sad that it's not a better roguelike

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »

EDIT:

Oh, certainly.  I think it's the dumbest idea in the world for multiple reasons, but whatever idiots can have dreams too.
I agree with the someone you were talking to. I'd love to make a roguelike with mass appeal and $$$ potential, and I don't really see the downside as long as it doesn't somehow cause traditional rls to stop being or something (which I doubt it would). Am I an idiot for thinking these things?

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »

i'd say that's more evil than stupid

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »

A Facebook Roguelike? Me likey. Centered around monetization? Ya killed it. You do realize you can make advertising revenue from the core concept, rather than selling food/potions for FB credits.

Then again, go ahead and do that too; just don't design it to be impossible without doing so. People that put real cash into that crap deserve to be parted with it.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »

There's a Brogue contest this weekend: http://brogue.createforumhosting.com/weekend-contest-t274.html

To enter the contest, first make sure you have the latest version of Brogue (1.6.2).
Hold Control and press the New Game button. It will ask you to enter a game seed. Write the following number: 1297757
You only get one chance. When the game is over, save your recording and your score. Do not share information about your game until after the contest ends on Monday, March 5th at 12:00 AM EST.

iffi
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »

Well that told me that there's yet another new version of Brogue (1.6.2). Among the changes:
"Rings of regeneration have been nerfed at high enchantment levels, so that they will never permit full regeneration in less than two to three turns."
I say it's about time.

Interesting how you can use a custom seed now...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic