Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:52:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBarbarium (Post-apocalyptic action platformer)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Barbarium (Post-apocalyptic action platformer)  (Read 18268 times)
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:15:42 AM »

Barbarium is an action platformer, about fighting with laserguns and swords, drinking beer and eating manly, all while saving babes.

FULL VERSION IS OUT!
Finally got the game to a point where I can say that it's just about DONE! Bugs here and there should naturally still rise up, but that's how the cookie crumbles. Inform me if you find any.

Browser version:
http://tinyurl.com/c8sem4f

Standalone version (much better performance on older computers):
http://tinyurl.com/bnpgow4

Changelog:
 -Added all the levels and bosses
 -Added cheat codes that are unlocked after completing the game
 -Changed the tileset for the first area
 -The bad guys can now shoot the barrels also.
 -Added the ending that changes according to the amount of stuff you were able to collect.
 -Fixed numerous bugs.

Here's a trailer:

And some screens:

Gameplay Objective?

-Fight enemies using your shield and weapons, gaining more points that unlock more pathways.
-Collect scrapmetal and treasures that affect the ending.
-Save the babes.

Tools?

I use Stencyl to make the game. It allows me to focus on the gameplay and all that fun stuff very quickly. It's a powerful tool when you get into it.
You should also know that I have never coded before. I have literally zero programming experience. But that wont stop me from making games! And this is my first one.
I do everything myself. Graphics, behaviours, sounds, etc... Ofcourse I get a little help from my friends when I get stuck.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:05:29 AM by Hypnohustla » Logged

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »

really good name, thinking of them is hard sometimes, smiley takes his hat off to you sir  Gentleman

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
bugninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:41:42 AM »

I like the start.  It brought back some SNES memories.

I got stuck on level 2, couldn't make the jump but could see there was something below me.  I like how the signs give me more information and especially that the second sign told me I could change my controls Smiley  Maybe I missed a sign, I'll have to check.

I felt like your main character lacked some of the great pixel-art detail that the backgrounds had.  He seems flat compared to them, but it's somewhat moot when you realize you are a barbarian with a laser, which is cool.

Wizards, shrapnel, barbarians, in the desert, lasers.  It's kind of all over the place, but at the same time, it really felt interesting.  I wish I could think outside the box like that sometimes.

Other than getting stuck on level 2, I felt the controls were solid, and I didn't come across any bugs personally.

Ben McGaughey of Seltice Systems LLC | Indie Game Developer<br />Popular Titles: 9 Iron Ninja, Scorched Monster, Fun-Putt Mini Golf, Touch Pool 2D<br />I'm on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/benmchttp://www.twitter.com/benmc
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »

Really like your logo title  Smiley

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »

Love it - the graphics style is nice and the gameplay was pleasantly reminiscent of the original Duke Nukem.  A couple of minor criticisms, though:

- The default controls feel weirdly set out, mainly because the shield button is nowhere near any of the other keys.  If your weapons are K and L, any reason why shield couldn't be J or something?
- It's not particularly clear where you're meant to be going or what you're supposed to be doing, but I guess that's just because you haven't really added in the story bits yet?
- I ended up getting stuck down in the hole with the Graboid-esque boss monster - after a while he stopped coming out of the walls (although the sound still played as if he was) - not sure if this was a bug or whether I managed to kill him somehow without realising it.  Either way, I was stuck down in that pit and couldn't find a way out.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:56:14 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Paul J:
I tried some different control schemes before but they didnt feel right. Maybe I should take another look.
And I'm also looking into making a map for the game. But its starting to look like more than I can handle.
The boss bug is a known one, fixing it ASAP. Also you are the first one that noticed it being a Graboid!

bugninja:
I'm not sure what jump you are talking about? When I started that game, the player had more detail. It didn't feel right. But as you said, when you are a barbarian with a laser, it doesn't matter.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:52:31 AM »

Screenshot of the new enviroment! Thoughts?

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 02:55:44 AM »

I'm not sure about the grey around the bright green of the foliage - but apart from that it looks nice!
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 05:15:16 AM »

I've played it and I've enjoyed it. Though, It's tough sometimes.

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »

Played and I think it should have a sprint button in like the mario games

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »

Interesting heart hud I guess I'd call it! The dead peeps in the windows are also awesome.
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:45:32 AM »

I'm not sure about the grey around the bright green of the foliage - but apart from that it looks nice!

You are absolutely right. I had a feeling that something was a bit off. Thanks for a good pointer.

It originally had a sprint function. It didn't feel right. It made calculating the jumps harder and if I did it now, I would have to redesign most of the levels. But maybe I will look into it...

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 07:24:36 AM »

Looks really cool.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 08:07:26 AM »

You are absolutely right. I had a feeling that something was a bit off. Thanks for a good pointer.

It originally had a sprint function. It didn't feel right. It made calculating the jumps harder and if I did it now, I would have to redesign most of the levels. But maybe I will look into it...

Maybe just for the first level Shrug

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 08:15:22 AM »

I see what you mean! The long desert walk is supposed to establish the setting and also act as a title and credit screen. But it is still under work as you can see.  Smiley

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »

I like what you have so far, especially the enemy design and environments. I didn't feel the need for a sprint key.

Some suggestions that aren't terribly important:

-Have the down key act as the shield button and stop the player while it's out. Use shift for looking down, or scrap it all together. If the player needs to go down a pit, have some nuts leading down to communicate it's safe. The less buttons the better.

-The characters in the game all look very grey. I think they could use a saturation boost.I loved the nice yellows/browns/greens of the first level's environment.

Keep up the good work  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 09:21:18 AM »

I think it would 8e pretty cool if you had the credits at the beginning so people could have something to look at and get more familiar with the developer  Smiley

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 02:39:30 AM »

I like what you have so far, especially the enemy design and environments. I didn't feel the need for a sprint key.

Some suggestions that aren't terribly important:

-Have the down key act as the shield button and stop the player while it's out. Use shift for looking down, or scrap it all together. If the player needs to go down a pit, have some nuts leading down to communicate it's safe. The less buttons the better.

-The characters in the game all look very grey. I think they could use a saturation boost.I loved the nice yellows/browns/greens of the first level's environment.

Keep up the good work  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I have to test your shield suggestion. I agree that it needs somekind of handicap. I was thinking about making it drain your points when you use it but maybe it wouldn't be fair. Thanks for the great suggestion!

I think it would 8e pretty cool if you had the credits at the beginning so people could have something to look at and get more familiar with the developer  Smiley

My thoughts exactly!

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »

Working on the ice rune for the sword. A blatant Metroid ripoff. Gentleman

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 04:14:29 AM »

Just tried it out.  It's pretty fun once you get used to the controls, but I agree with other feedback that says there's too many buttons.  Like someone else suggested, move shield to S.

I'd also suggest changing the part where it says 'Press S to see below you'.  There's not much of an indication that tiny sliver of open space when you press S is navigateable by backtracking.  Consider moving the sign closer to the part where you have to jump down, and block off the passage where you can't really go anywhere.

The giant robot that tells you 'you can't pass' feels like a forced and out-of-place way to keep the player out of a new area.  I'm a giant barbarian, why can't I just fight the damn thing?  Why do I have to listen to this hunk of crap? :p

The little jumping guy is kind of annoying in that when he appears it's difficult to avoid taking damage, unless you know he's going to appear and have your shield out already.  Also I managed to get one of them stuck between a platform and solid wall.

Overall it just feels too easy with infinite checkpoint respawns and enemies that don't come back even if you respawn.  Also, I think you know this, but the instant respawn needs to change so there's some sort of death animation and "You fucked up, press enter to continue" type message.

Not a big fan of 'Ice sword'.  I'd rather you keep fantasy-ish elements like that out of it, since it kind of clashes with the post-apocalyptic theme.  Maybe a freeze raygun would fit better.  Sci-fi yes, fantasy no.

Also, the jump sound effect needs to be manlier.  Make it much deeper in pitch. lol
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic