Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:13:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 778953 times)
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:59:10 AM »

Delver is a project I've been working on to combine the mechanics of games like Ultima Underworld with the depth and replayability of a roguelike.

Now on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/249630
Or watch a video:

Next up
Combat revamp
More dungeon features and special events
UI overhaul

Official Site

Never run a Java Jar file before? If you have Java installed you should be able to double click on it to run it, otherwise right click and see if 'Open with Java' or 'Jar Launcher' is an option.

Check it out on the Android market!

Delver Wiki
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:21:19 AM by Interrupt » Logged
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:19:25 PM »

I re-exported the project with different settings and cut the size by half, I believe I was including way more with the JAR than I really needed.

Probably also time for me to find some hosting space for my site instead of being cheap and doing it myself.
SiENcE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »

I played the demo. It really reminds me of Ultima Underworld, one of my fav. games. The Water, the abysses.

Nice work! I'm looking forward

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »

Well this looks like a big ol' pile of delicious crack to me! Downloading! Smiley Smiley Smiley

EDIT: Played it now. Wow. It's like you reached into my brain and made the game I've always wanted to me. I mean obviously it's early days, but criminy! It's got all the ingredients!

I shan't nitpick just yet (other than to say it's a bit blimmin' dark!), I shall just watch this project with utterly rapt interest.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:21:59 PM by DrDerekDoctors » Logged

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »

I shan't nitpick just yet (other than to say it's a bit blimmin' dark!), I shall just watch this project with utterly rapt interest.

Yeah the darkness is a problem on some monitors, will need a gamma slider eventually. I'd also like dynamic lighting if I can swing it and have it work on Android so that the player can carry a torch around and to make fancy spell-slinging effects.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »

The reason I remember this is because I also just heard "Notch" released the source code to his Ludum Dare entry. I presume this builds upon said code?
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »

Looking great so far, like what you have. Great atmosphere and visuals work really well.

Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »

The reason I remember this is because I also just heard "Notch" released the source code to his Ludum Dare entry. I presume this builds upon said code?

The initial version of this engine was me watching the saved livestream of Notch writing the Prelude of the Chambered raycaster after the fact and going "Hey, I could do that". It took me alot longer than it took him, and that was with the benefit of being able to follow along. Since then I've ditched that software raycaster in favor of OpenGL.

I did shamelessly steal his AABB collision algorithm, one of the neat tricks I learned from his Livestream.
vlaube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 02:03:32 AM »

I love the style, can't wait to play it.

Finished: Working on:
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »

Playing around with lighting color schemes and dynamic lights today.

Original: no player light, dark blueish ambient

Original + Player torch

Player torch, no ambient light

I like the cold look of the original, but the warmer torch and no ambient version is appealing as well.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »

This looks really cool - but I can't seem to play it.  Clicking on that link just takes me to a blank page called 'Shhhh' and it doesn't seem to be loading anything.  It's just Java, right?  So I shouldn't need any special plugins or anything?

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
deathtotheweird
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »

not working for me either, same issues as above. firefox 10 is that matters
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »

Yeah, just java. I've seen that on one of my own computers, seems to be a bug in LibGdx running the LwJgl applet on some computers where it runs clean but doesn't render anything. As a workaround I could put up a download link to the runnable Jar file.
schipman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »

Ultima Underworld is by far my favorite RPG of all time- and combining it with a roguelike is gonna be awesome!
Good luck with this project!

@scottychips on Twitter
http://www.schipman-design.com
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 09:56:02 PM »

Hmm, I played it a bit. Was there anything else to do except stabbing those thieves and throwing skulls? Also, what does those brown rat(?) things do? I couldn't hit them and it seemed as if they slow me down or something. But that might be just my impression.

Master of all trades.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 12:48:13 AM »

I downloaded it and gave it a go. It's pretty fun so far. I really like the atmosphere, and the lighting you've done has helped a lot with that.

I did however run into a bug where an enemy hit me when my back was close to a wall. I got stuck in the wall and couldn't move (I could also see through the wall/clipped through it).

Keep it up! Smiley

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »

Hi
Tested a bit; my mouse don't work, don't know if you handle it yet but it's painful keyboard-only. Anyway, it seems quite nice, but maybe you could use the lights more (for example make some dynmaic lights, on monsters or so) as it seems it's the main feature you're working on.

Technically speaking, I don't really get how lights light around, the area does not seems round, but there is not shadow either... I'm confused.

By the way I also played the other version http://www.intrrpt.com/projects/crawl.html, that seems different (more monsters ?) and it's really hard !!

Good luck!

Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 09:53:26 AM »

Hmm, I played it a bit. Was there anything else to do except stabbing those thieves and throwing skulls? Also, what does those brown rat(?) things do? I couldn't hit them and it seemed as if they slow me down or something. But that might be just my impression.

Right now there's not much to do besides making it to the third floor, where that maze is. I think that maze level will be where things start being randomly generated, and the first two floors will be static tutorial areas.

The rats are a test of non-hostile critters, they're basically decorative. Thought it would be nice to have small bugs and things crawling around.

Technically speaking, I don't really get how lights light around, the area does not seems round, but there is not shadow either... I'm confused.

Since my levels are at a basic level 2d grids like in any roguelike, I can use common techniques like line of site to have the lights light up the world on a per tile basis.  I didn't like the hard edges between tiles, so I've just blended them by increasing the lightmap resolution by 4 and using those per tile vertex.

That other version is the first software raycast iteration, back then before you could knock enemies back. Need to find a balance, right now combat feels too easy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:34:23 PM by Interrupt » Logged
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »

Updated the OP with a download link to a runnable version instead of the problematic applet.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:35:05 PM by Interrupt » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »

Dem 3d sprites.
Very cool, keep it up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic