Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:29:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 782851 times)
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2320 on: May 16, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »

Add some crazy monster that has a small chance to spawn in a locked room.
Make it super tough and dangerous and people will be terrified of opening doors Evil

ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: May 16, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »

A Beholder!

Delver is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Smiley
maximusprime
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: May 16, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »

I had this amazing idea to make your game unique and interesting. The current dungeon is the an ancient building to which no one knows the origin and has remained shut for 100s of years. You are the ruler of a small town when the doors to the dungeon open spewing forth disease, darkness and chaos. Your advisers believe it marks the end of existence and the only way to stop the evil is to venture forth into the dungeon. You heroically battle your way through but inevitably die. However dungeon accepts your sacrifice and seals away the evil again only to reopen 10 years later and the task of sacrifice now rests on your heir. My idea is to have the current dungeon the starting dungeon but also the most difficult and to have a chance before venturing in the player must complete quests and lesser dungeons though out the over world to level themselves up and get the best equipment. I also think it would be a good idea to have permanent stat increases at the end of these lesser dungeons so you could say find a book that teaches you and your ancestors a forgotten combat technique improving your damage. Other ideas could be a magical potion or a shrine that gives you a blessing. I've got a story that makes sense of all of this and I could write it for you if you want but I'm afraid you'll have to wait a few weeks until I finish may exams. Other than that please tell me what you think of the idea and thanks for the great game. 
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: May 17, 2013, 06:47:26 AM »

How about have doors scattered around that need to be broken, and spawn something behind you every time you hit it, and they have goodies inside? These will be Wooden Doors.

Then there can be Iron Doors that require the Orb in your inventory to open, and they'll give you something special that you can add to a collection in the main menu, saying what it is and how many times you've looted it.
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: May 17, 2013, 10:57:07 AM »

And they could give you special starting powerups for every game.  Just a little something that you could always have.  Maybe +1 damage or +2 health.

Smiley
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: May 17, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »

Well here goes the Yogcast

Suedeash
Level 0

That guy.

View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: May 17, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »

Well here goes the Yogcast
Oh boy. First, it was Notch. Now, it's them. We're going to notice somewhat of a fluctuation in interest here, which is a good thing, I guess.
Suedeash
Level 0

That guy.

View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: May 17, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »

Also, here's the DL for the Dungeoneer .JAR I have. If Chad asks, I'll take this down, but I personally think it's an interesting insight into the progression of the game. For example, you couldn't look vertically. I know, we've come so far...  *sniff*
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkrdd6es8lyspxd/dungeoneer.jar
Also, if you don't want to waste your space with some obscure prototype, then watch my gameplay video. I would appreciate the views, y'know... xD

Harkulka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: May 17, 2013, 09:03:29 PM »

I love this game so much, even in this current stage. Is there a way to make it full screen? Or is that still in the workings? I am going to keep a close eye on this, it's something I feel has great potential.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2329 on: May 17, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »

I love this game so much, even in this current stage. Is there a way to make it full screen? Or is that still in the workings? I am going to keep a close eye on this, it's something I feel has great potential.

It's in now, can toggle fullscreen with the 'F' key

Also, here's the DL for the Dungeoneer .JAR I have. If Chad asks, I'll take this down, but I personally think it's an interesting insight into the progression of the game. For example, you couldn't look vertically. I know, we've come so far...  *sniff*
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkrdd6es8lyspxd/dungeoneer.jar
Also, if you don't want to waste your space with some obscure prototype, then watch my gameplay video. I would appreciate the views, y'know... xD

Man, I remember that build. So long ago.
Harkulka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 17, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »

It's in now, can toggle fullscreen with the 'F' key

Thanks! =D

I was playing it on my pc and it worked great, I then moved out to the lounge room to play it on my laptop, and the tool tips for items in your inventory weren't working properly. The ac, damage and effects of items weren't showing, and any armor/jewellery I had equipped didn't show anything, not the names or the effects. Is there a fix for this?
aetherX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: May 18, 2013, 12:17:42 AM »

I made an account here just to say how awesome I think this game is! I just bought it and I think it will really become a huge something.

I have yet to finish the game because I kinda suck, but I just wanted to say this.

Please never stop :c
Harkulka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: May 18, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »

I made an account here just to say how awesome I think this game is! I just bought it and I think it will really become a huge something.

I did the same =P

But i finished it! I enjoyed it a lot, can't wait to see what other kinds of content will be put into it.

I'll be waiting with excited enthusiasm. =]
Zoju
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: May 18, 2013, 01:53:38 AM »

I remember some talk about classes, is that still a possibility?

I think classes could come with the kind of flat bonuses that make you change your strategy. Since all of these bonuses are positive, the monsters would have to be harder to keep the challenge.

Warrior: You benefit 20% more AC from metal armor and you do 20% more damage with swords.
Wizard: You benefit 50% more Magic Damage Reduction from robes. You have a 20% chance to recover a charge from a wand after firing it.
Ranger: Even if you hit an enemy with it, you have a 20% chance to find the arrow you shot. You do 20% more damage with bows.
Rogue: You have a 20% chance to do double damage with daggers.

There could also be a Wanderer class that has no specific bonuses, just gets all-around better stats a little bit, so you can do whatever you want, like it is now.

For this, I also made robes a possibility, a light, low-AC armor type that gives mostly Magic Damage Reduction (from the floating eyes and enemy wizards, for example) and maybe bonuses to magic damage from scrolls and wands. Maybe there could be different colors of them, only giving bonuses to certain types of damage (lightning only, fire only, etc.)

I think it could be fun. If nothing else, it could work as a mod.

PS:. I found out that there is a reticle, but you have to charge your ranged weapon to see them. That makes aiming a little easier on Android, I'll just have to get used to it.
Harkulka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: May 18, 2013, 04:10:48 AM »

I remember some talk about classes, is that still a possibility?

I think classes could come with the kind of flat bonuses that make you change your strategy. Since all of these bonuses are positive, the monsters would have to be harder to keep the challenge.

Warrior: You benefit 20% more AC from metal armor and you do 20% more damage with swords.
Wizard: You benefit 50% more Magic Damage Reduction from robes. You have a 20% chance to recover a charge from a wand after firing it.
Ranger: Even if you hit an enemy with it, you have a 20% chance to find the arrow you shot. You do 20% more damage with bows.
Rogue: You have a 20% chance to do double damage with daggers.

There could also be a Wanderer class that has no specific bonuses, just gets all-around better stats a little bit, so you can do whatever you want, like it is now.

For this, I also made robes a possibility, a light, low-AC armor type that gives mostly Magic Damage Reduction (from the floating eyes and enemy wizards, for example) and maybe bonuses to magic damage from scrolls and wands. Maybe there could be different colors of them, only giving bonuses to certain types of damage (lightning only, fire only, etc.)

I don't know about the classes, why gain bonuses? Maybe some have better base hp then others, but it would be better to say, have different skill sets, or just be proficient with different weapons. And, if you want to talk about different types of armor, each armor would have varying different amounts of magic resist/ac (getting more resistance/ac at higher levels), and the different types just give varying different amounts of ac in total, robes would be the least, then to say leather, etc., and magic resistance would be a "magical" effect, meaning, depending on the quality and "level" of an item, the more total magic resistance it could have, but robes could have the same magic resist as chain mail. If you wanted to get even more sophisticated, you could say the more magic resist an item has, the lower ac bonus it has, so you either need to find a balence, or plan accordingly to what foes you think you are going to face.

Also, antidote potions and potion identifying (through magic or use) would be really nice, instead of trying to remember what each potion does, and accidently quaffing a poisen potion instead of a healing potion mid combat >.<

Either way, still plenty of development time to work all these things out. Keep up the good work, Interrupt! =D (I voted for you)
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 18, 2013, 04:38:58 AM »

Before we have any bow classes we need to rebalance the bows.
Harkulka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: May 18, 2013, 05:45:57 AM »

I would like to make a point that, it does say "See from the eyes of a rogue". I dare say "Classes" may not be involved, rather just different styles of playing a rogue.
Zoju
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 18, 2013, 06:25:16 AM »

I don't think "rogue" in this case means the fantasy character archetype "rogue".

Harkulka, I explained why I chose bonuses instead of restrictions: This way you are not choosing a set of pointless rules, just a new playstyle, because depending on your class, different playstyles could be more beneficial to play.

I don't agree with the way you'd handle armor. In my system, you could be a wizard who wants to maximize his damage; then you have to wear robes and be careful about getting into melee range with things, or you could wear regular armor to be a bit more durable, but do less damage, maybe mix it up with a little melee. You have MUCH more freedom this way than you would with the traditional "restricting what you can use by class" way. I don't think this is what this game is about.
This game is more about utilizing everything you have at your disposal.
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 18, 2013, 06:32:15 AM »

I don't think "rogue" in this case means the fantasy character archetype "rogue".

Harkulka, I explained why I chose bonuses instead of restrictions: This way you are not choosing a set of pointless rules, just a new playstyle, because depending on your class, different playstyles could be more beneficial to play.

I don't agree with the way you'd handle armor. In my system, you could be a wizard who wants to maximize his damage; then you have to wear robes and be careful about getting into melee range with things, or you could wear regular armor to be a bit more durable, but do less damage, maybe mix it up with a little melee. You have MUCH more freedom this way than you would with the traditional "restricting what you can use by class" way. I don't think this is what this game is about.
This game is more about utilizing everything you have at your disposal.

Thank you.  This is a perfect example of how the game should be.  Rather than restrictions it should be bonuses.  Maybe there could be different skills that could be learned.

Smiley
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: May 18, 2013, 06:34:46 AM »

You guys are all using "should" in the place of "I want it to". Just pointing that out.

I think the armor system is fine right now outside of the possibility of granting no bonus at all. In terms of combat, I'd like to have more control over throwing an item so I can use junk as a one-use projectile.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic