Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:26:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions7DRL 2012: March 10th-18th
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: 7DRL 2012: March 10th-18th  (Read 21977 times)
Dragonmaw
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »

The time is almost upon us for the annual 7 Day Rogue-Like competition!

Anyone doing this? I'm gonna give it a try. With Python!
PowRTocH
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:12:31 PM »

Oh cool. Pretty bad time in the year for me, but I'll try to do this for sure. Will post shit in here when the time comes.
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:18:52 PM »

I... kinda really wanna try this. It lines up perfectly with my Spring Break. Only issue is, every time I've tried a roguelike in the past I got stuck on how to handle tiles. Why can't I solve this issue!! (I'm awful is why)

I'll probably force myself into this, though!

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
PowRTocH
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »

I always get stuck when I start the combat engine. I'm like "what do I do with this" and then I never end up doing anything. Only cuz I hate basic hitpoint systems. Might go for something unique/autistic instead. I wrote out a system a while ago but it was really hard to implement.

Theophilus
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »

I might give this a try. I'd like to see how I can manage, and maybe bring new things to the table, as someone who's never made, or even played, a roguelike.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »

Current plans for my rogue-like (assuming I get anywhere with it):

1.) Basic dungeon generation (nothing too fancy) and enemies
2.) Stats system based entirely on stats increases via actions. Use a sword? Swordsmanship, strength, and agility stats all increase. Take damage? Health, constitution, and relevant resistances increase. Etc. Probably on an XP-like system for each stat so that you don't take damage and then instantly get more max health.
3.) More involved combat system based on choosing your attacks rather than running straight into enemies. Want some reach? Get a spear or longsword. Want to swipe groups? Get an axe.
4.) Battle system based on (faked) physical modeling of weapons. A weapon's physical attributes (hilt, length, weight, material) impact your combat rolls.
5.) Stances for characters. Want to deflect more attacks and maybe get an attack of opportunity? Enter a parry stance. Want to deal extra damage? Grab that sword two-handed.

Overall I'm going to try and make a rogue-like with more of a focus on combat, especially smart melee combat, than item usage.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »

I really kind of want to try this but I don't have the coding chops, even if I did lean on libtcod.

Sooooooon

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:33:52 AM »

Tempting ..

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 05:48:41 AM »

O yeah im so gonna do it.
Maybe experimenting with XY instead XZ

Nolithius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 08:11:52 AM »

I'll be experimenting with a light party-based roguelike for this year's 7DRL challenge. I've posted some working artwork for the character portraits as well as a rough outline over at: http://www.nolithius.com/game-design/plans-for-7drl-challenge

It's worth mentioning that I was inspired by the artwork in the thread on ASCII Paint (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14588.0) from a couple of years ago to create my first 4DRL, and now 7DRL.

Best of luck to everyone who participates!
ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »

We want to participate (as we did 2011 and created Pitman Krumb), but probably with a 2-3DRL only (time will tell). It's gonna be about radioactivity and infinity. \o/

Will be my first time to try some generated dungeons.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »

I think I'm going to be too busy to do this over the next week, but I *am* going to try something a bit similar - making a roguelike in 48 hours, only with those 48 hours being spread out over the next couple of weeks or months as and when I can manage to fit it in.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »

I am going to try this year, but I am trying something pretty different. I was looking through the Roguelike themes thread we had on here a long time ago, and saw the Godzilla Roguelike. I remembered I had a bunch of graphics left over from a Kaiju game I tried to make. (one of those games where you have to step on every block? replace block with building) so I am going to dig that out, but to go with the theme of Giant monsters, its going to be you vs one other enemy. so godzilla vs Mothra style. I might add tanks, and helicopters and such, but probably after I get the one on one combat in.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 03:25:46 AM »

Thoughts about mine:

1 ) taking a more lax approach to the roguelike genre; using it as guidelines for my direction but not being strict about it
2 ) platformer with more action oriented combat, going for a balance between deliberate and hack-n-slash'y
3 ) real time
4 ) you play a lizard man and you eat bugs to power up
4b) rather than getting new equipment to power up, it's bugs.
4c) only equipment you ever have is your sword and shield
4d) may include a minimalist forging system to refine/upgrade those two equips though; depends how far I get
5 ) there will be float-y aerial combat because float-y aerial combat is cool
6 ) it will take place in a swamp setting
7 ) levels will probably be generated via prefabs unless I can come up with something else cool.
8 ) enemies may include: large bugs, salamanders, fish, birds, worms, other lizard men, and other swamp dwelling creatures.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »

IT BEGINS

Goal for today: get all the basics done (movement, basic map generation, units, etc)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »

I got Map Generation, and player movement in. Adding the enemy AI now. I was shocked how much of this code I already had lying around from previous failures.

Sakar
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »

Doing one as well. It's a bit more actiony and stuff
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »

I think I'm mostly just going to focus on art assets today so that I can code it up for the rest of the week.

Sakar
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 04:02:45 PM »

Quick vid of my progress thus far

^ That's a link ^
PowRTocH
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »

I'm using an old engine of mine, meaning I have level generation and combat and status effects and inventories. Still have a bit of work to do with equipment and AI and then I can just focus on design.......
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic