Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:06:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMailstorm Express
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mailstorm Express  (Read 3061 times)
MarioG
Level 0

Sound Designer fo sho'!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2012, 06:54:58 AM »

Hello everyone!
My name is Mario, and I'm here to show you guys our upcoming game called Mailstorm Express!

Short description
Mailstorm Express is a game created by a small Swedish game studio called Coastalbyte (www.coastalbyte.com), and it is developed using Unity for both Android/iOS phones and tablets!

In Mailstorm Express, you play as a mailman whose only mission is to collect and deliver letters to the people on the sea! However, as you certainly know, the sea is filled with dangerous stuff, so you better use that touch-screen in order to steer from harms way!

How the game works
You travel the sea by going from right to left, avoiding traps, mines, spikes, rocks and other dangers all while trying to pick up letters scattered around.
In order to get points, you have to stop by a harbor and unload all your letters. The more letters you unload, the higher multiplier you get on your score! But keep this in mind; if you get hit by one of the hazards floating around, you lose ALL your carried letters! And if you get hit three times, it's Game Over!

Blocks!
The world of Mailstorm Express is built around a "block" system, which means that as soon as you're about to leave your current block, the game randomly picks one of the premade ones and spawns it behind the current block, completely seamless!

This way, we can add more content as we please!

Anyway!
This was just a quick description of Mailstorm Express! We will continue working and we'll drop by here occasionally and post some updates on how things are going! If you got any questions or feedback, please feel free to post! :D

Cheers!

I make video games!
Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:01:02 AM »

Currently we're working on hammering out the controls to make them feel as smooth as we can. I've made a couple of different ways of controlling the ship which will undergo some play testing and see which one is working best.

Meanwhile in the sound corner of the room Mario is working on a song for the main menu. I'll get him to post it here once it done.

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:12:01 AM »

This looks pretty cool, very lovely style. How fast does the ship go? Can you make it go faster or slow down?

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:59:17 AM »

I saw this few days ago but I didn't have to reply and then I forgot. It looks really nice and "Block system" sounds great because of all different maps you can get.

Any chance that it will be released for the PC?

MarioG
Level 0

Sound Designer fo sho'!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:53:27 AM »

Yo!
We're experimenting with some different speed functions, but we haven't set anything in stone yet! We'll keep you updated here, though! Also, due to the controls we're using, it would be difficult to port it to PC ^^;

We will post a gameplay video as soon as we can, so you guys can see it in motion!

Oh, and on a completely different note, here's a music sample I did yesterday. It's made mostly with sound effects from the game ^^

http://snd.sc/yWyBc3

Cheers!  Gentleman

I make video games!
Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 02:44:04 AM »

We've added a new obstacle, the spike trap.

Other than that most of my time has been spent fixing bugs.

In the meanwhile have some screenshots:

Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:04:54 AM »

Working on a new menu system. Our last one wasn't well suited for touchscreens and smartphone screens.

Edit:
Made a gif of it.

It's a bit speed up'd
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:35:27 AM by Momeka_ » Logged

Chris Pavia
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »

Visually the menu looks interesting, but from a UX perspective it's not the best because you're putting the onus on the user to know what all menu options are available to them but are offscreen, or that you can swipe to other options at all (even worse for a new player). Then if you later add another menu option (like adding new features/etc through a content update), it seems like the user would almost have to find it by accident.

This could be mitigated (but not eliminated) by putting a touchable visual cue on either side of the screen (like an arrow or something) indicating that there are more items available, and having the menus wrap-around.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »

Agree with Chris, like the idea of the menu but think it'll be confusing if you don't know how to navigate it. The visual cues would definitely complete it and bring it further together for usability for the player.

Games looking nice  Smiley

Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:27:28 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Chris and Franky. I will most def add some visual cues and see how it looks and if it clears things up.

Work on the game have slowed down a bit since we took a consult job.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic