Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:03:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsforma.8 [New video, new images, revamped first post!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: forma.8 [New video, new images, revamped first post!]  (Read 25582 times)
Skyrise
Level 0

Newbie indie dev

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:59:35 AM »

UPDATE 02/04/2015

We're not dead... yet!
Still working on the game aiming to release it as soon as possible on a HUGE ammount of platforms (PS4 / Vita / Wii U / Xbox One / Steam / iOS).

We've started a dev diary and you can find the first entry right here:

http://blog.mixedbag.it/post/140812304538/forma8-dev-diary-1-scenes-composition

UPDATE 02/07/2015

Hey there... we're still alive (and kicking!).

Our last update was from almost a year ago, when we announced that forma.8 was going multiplatform.

After launching Futuridium EP Deluxe on PS4 and PSVita last year, we re-started working full time on forma.8. One of our intention is to finally be more open about the development process and share more updates. We still don't have a release date for now, and we don't want to share one 'till we are 100% sure about it.
We already shared a couple of release dates and missed them all, so next time it'll be the 'good one'. Smiley

Right now we are undergoing a small redesign of the game, raising the bar. We don't want to alter the look and feel of forma.8, but add more details, effects and animations, with the intention to give more 'life' to the forma.8 world.

Here are a sneak peek at a couple of redesigned areas:

Oh, and as a bonus, here's a look at the Wii U port, something we got up and running this week!
(it was quite easy, thanks Unity!)

forma.8 is now a larger scope product, and it's scheduled to launch on: PS4, PSVita, WiiU, Mac, PC, Linux and iOS.

Here is an old trailer, if you want to see it in motion. Lots of things changed since then, but it still gives an idea...

http://www.forma8.net/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:48:02 AM by Skyrise » Logged

Cofounder of MixedBag
Twitter:@MixedBagGames
Launched: Futuridium EP Deluxe for PS4 / PSVita
Working on: forma.8
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:38:50 AM »

Really interested to see this in motion.

Skyrise
Level 0

Newbie indie dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:38:12 AM »

Really interested to see this in motion.

Thank you!
We hope to be able to show the first video by the end of the week. Smiley

Cofounder of MixedBag
Mnemonic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:50:08 AM »

Looks great, nice teaser image! i will follow this

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:37 AM »

This does look great.  Gives me a Booloid (http://messhof.com/booloid/) vibe... but this looks better imo Smiley

Skyrise
Level 0

Newbie indie dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »

Hello again!

Just a quick update on the project: we're working on the particle system now. We are using particles heavily to add lots of detail and interactive elements in the scene.

As you can see in the new screens, we have lots of aliens, glowing plants around. We don't want to spoil too much for now, but they are an integral part of the story of the game and an important gameplay element.

Hope to have a movie of the game out on YouTube for monday!

Cofounder of MixedBag
Skyrise
Level 0

Newbie indie dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »

Wow, forma.8 just got featured on Toucharcade homepage! Smiley

http://toucharcade.com/2012/06/04/e3-mixed-bag-announces-forma-8-an-old-school-action-adventure/

I am in LA at E3 right now, if some other indie game developer is there and wants to try the game and have a chat, we're in booth OFMR4101 in the West Hall, just near the big Microsoft booth. Just drop by and ask about Mauro Fanelli. Smiley

Cofounder of MixedBag
mauz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:30:38 AM »

Hi guys,
I would like to add more to this devlog, and I will do it near in the future, sharing some of the backstage work for Forma.8.
For now we are still on the little "e3 promotion tour", so we don't have a proper video trailer for the game, but the guys from apple'n'apps were kind enough to put this gameplay video online:

Chomps
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 03:47:13 AM »

Hi guys I love the art style! Congrats on getting featured on Touch Arcade. I look forward to more updates Smiley
Bryant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »

So beautiful Smiley How are you finding Ragespline and Ragetools?

Skyrise
Level 0

Newbie indie dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »

Thank you so much! Hope to share a lot more after the E3 rush!

I love RageSpline and RageTools, awesome extensions to Unity. They really help our art pipeline, it's so fast! All levels are drawn in Illustrator and then imported in game with minimum efforts. Wink

Cofounder of MixedBag
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »

ahhh i love the look of this!  Hand Money Left Hand Money Left take it

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »

Oh my lordy lord, this is beautiful. My Word!

mauz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 03:06:39 AM »

Hello everyone.
Lots of problems -not directly related to the development of the game- has stopped a bit our work on forma.8 (and this devlog), but we are back, and we hope to speed up the process and complete this game as soon as possible.

We have changed lot of things from the demo, the game and the aesthetics are now much more consistent, and everything seem sto be improving for the best. :D

Soon we will open up a testflight for testing the demo, hope some of you will like to try it.

Here is a new image of the actual demo map, because a picture is worth a thousand words. Wink

sorry for compression and gigantism.

Skyrise
Level 0

Newbie indie dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »

forma.8 devlog - new edition - chapter 01

Introduction and geeky stuff

Hi guys!
My pal Andrea (mauz, who wrote the post above) has already posted the revised map for our intro zone. If you compare it to our previous screenshots you can see they are similiar but a lot of works went in the color choice and in some little details, so everything is a lot more coherent than before.

We've worked a lot on the project in the last few months, and we promise we'll share a lot with the community and have a more active devlog starting... now. Smiley

We'll share a more screenshots and movie soon, but first I want to give you some technical data (geeky stuff!). As I said in the first post, we are using the Unity engine to develop the game. It was our first choice for a couple of reasons:
1) I'm using the engine since its first incarnation as an OSX only editor, in 2005, so I know it pretty well.
2) I'm not a great programmer, and Unity is simple as hell to use. Doing our own engine was out of question.
3) It's fast, really fast for prototyping.
4) It's artists friendly.
5) It supports a ton of platforms. forma.8 is born as an iOS project, but if everythings goes well (finger crossed) we'll port the game on every platform we can work on (PC/Mac is a given obviously!).

I know I'm talking a lot about Unity, but I fell that without Unity we would have never been able to work on a project like forma.8 by ourselves. Anyway, back to technical data... our target was iOS, from 3GS/iPad 1, and since we are hardcore gamer at heart, after some positive tests on the platform, we set in stones some features that we wanted at all costs in the game:

- 60fps!
- A very good control system!!
- 60fps!!
- Lots of stuff on screen! Moving!!!
- Pretty graphics! Particles! Yay!
- SixtyFPS!
- Lots of physics interaction!!!!
- ...and did we mention 60fps? Who, Me?

The CPU is not a big problem, it's a bit weak on the 3GS but plenty fast for physics/moving a lot of 2D object on iPhone4+/iPad+. In fact we were pretty amazed on what you can pull off with that little ARM chip. Unity and Physx, while optimized more for 3D, are really fast. Probably a custom implementation with Box2D could be faster, but we are satisfied with the results and... I'm not good enough to try to put another physics engine in Unity. Tongue
The real problem is in the GPU: fillrate on the first iPad is simply horrible. You can throw around a lot of polygons, but just use a bunch of big alpha object on screen and you're screwed. Problem is: some of the shader we used relied on alpha to do a sort of fake antialiasing on the splines to smooth everything out. We pondered about it a lot, we tested different solutions, but in the end we decided that 60-constant-fps were just too important for the game so we just revised the graphics on the first gen iPad to eliminate the fake (and costly) antialiasing solution. And, since the PowerVR is amazing in doing hardware antialiasing, simply added 2XAA on the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 and 8XAA on iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4S and PC/Mac build of the game.
With full antialiasing on the graphics is a lot more pleasant, but on the first iPad it's jaggy. We tried to avoid this, but the GPU is really underpowered fillrate wise and with our graphics style it's impossible to avoid. At least we tried, but in the end we feel that a stable frame rate and a more coherent visual impact is a lot more important.

Two screenshots from the game, on iPad 1 with no AA and on iPad 3 at full retina resolution with AA 8X enabled:

iPad 1, no AA:

iPad 3, retina resolution, AA8X:

Sorry, I know the images are really big, but I wanted to show how the game looks at the original resolution/AA on the devices. Those are alpha screens, but there is another effect that we added after pondering a lot about it. Just let us know what you think!

Cofounder of MixedBag
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »

yeh i cant wait to play this on my ipad3. i'll put my hand up for testing. Smiley

Skyrise
Level 0

Newbie indie dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 02:48:41 AM »

yeh i cant wait to play this on my ipad3. i'll put my hand up for testing. Smiley

You are first in line! Smiley
We hope to have the new playable demo (totally revised from our E3 demo) soon, I'll contact you via PM so I can add you to the testflight group!

Congrats on moonman, it's amazing!

Cofounder of MixedBag
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »

iPhone 4 user here!   I'd love to test this. It looks absolutely gorgeous.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »

You are first in line! Smiley
We hope to have the new playable demo (totally revised from our E3 demo) soon, I'll contact you via PM so I can add you to the testflight group!

Congrats on moonman, it's amazing!

haha sweetness, thx!

Skyrise
Level 0

Newbie indie dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 03:14:20 AM »

iPhone 4 user here!   I'd love to test this. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Sure, and thank you. Smiley

The game is best played on an iPad but the control system works very well on iPhone/iPod touch too, only everithing is smaller in game. Smiley
On iPhone 4 we are supporting AA2X and full retina. I'll add a couple of screenshots of the game running on iPhone later.

Cofounder of MixedBag
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic