Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:36:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnodyne - Android version available now
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Anodyne - Android version available now  (Read 136430 times)
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »

2021 - anodyne 1 is now on ps4, xbox one, switch, and win/mac. It's also on android/ios still (somehow..)
Also the sequel, anodyne 2, came out in 2019 and is on win/mac/linux and all consoles.
--

android version out, i am done.

this devlog is done

In Anodyne, you explore and fight your way through nature, urban and abstract themed areas in the human Young's subconscious, evoked by a 16-bit-era visual style and a moody, dream-like soundtrack.

BUY IT FOR iOS
Hi TIGSource.

BUY IT ON STEAM FOR ON SALE

Anodyne is available viaour store, Desura, and eventually GamersGate.

You can also buy the soundtrack for a small fee.

Melos Han-Tani(me) and Marina Kittaka made Anodyne. This devlog spans from two months into development, to meeting Marina, to finishing and releasing the game.

I primarily worked on programming and audio, Marina on dialogue and artwork. In terms of splitting up the game design, I did most of the dungeon design, outside-dungeon level design was a largely collaborative process. Marina and I worked together on the game's themes, he created the story to, in conjunction with world design and aesthetics, convey those themes.

Greenlight | Twitter | Facebook | Tumblr | IndieDB

Release Trailer

----

Some little posts on Anodyne and related things
Porting Anodyne to Android
On the place of games in society, my fascination of game music and potential for games to convey experiences
Making a flash game work cross-platform with Adobe AIR
Some discussion of getting maps and sprites into Anodyne from the map editor
Blog post on structure and scale in dungeon design
blog post on the game structure, health, and dungeon design

---

HISTORY

I started working on Anodyne in early March 2012  (see :

), worked on it sporadically till June 2012 when I met Marina . Then worked a lot more till my internship was done, then worked a ton more till school started. Then we worked anyways and then finished the game in late January and released on Desura/GG/our site on Feb. 4th. Recently we got greenlit so we'll be on steam soon.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:05:45 AM by melos han-tani » Logged

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:09:02 AM »

THIS IS OLD AND FOR HISTORY THE NEWEST STUFF UNSURPRISINGLY IS AT THE END OF THE TOPIC

A few of the things finished  in the past day or so:

A new area, a beach/shore. This was fun to make and it will be fun to improve upon the tileset (especially the shoreline). There's also a new song and some wave noises going on. What will be here? It's a surprise!

Exciting things here include:
-kinda-scriptable glow/lighting effects,
-animated tiles!

Piles of dust. Well, they're not piles of dust yet, they're just movable black squares. But you sweep them up with your broom and then place them down elsewhere. To you know, block stuff that may be harmful...

Exciting things here include:
-Changing a protected property to public to get something to do my bidding! How wrong!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:36:16 AM by seagaia » Logged

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
senorbarborito
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »

hi seagaia,

so far I like:
-no bs story to start with, drops me straight into the action
-music and general feel, particularly in the temple: intriguing and unsettling

I didn't like:
-graphics in the road area after the temple look abit barren

I wanted this to be more in-depth but I couldn't get past the traffic cone thing in the room with the blocks and the holes :/

there's quite a few bugs in the collision detection, would you like me to go through those?

all in all, it looks like it could become a pretty cool game but I'd be scared to even consider the sheer quantity of content needed for this kind of game!

-señor
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »

@Señor
hey, thanks:

Glad you like the lack of introduction and the aesthetics. I don't have a story, and I don't plan to make one. I just want the player to explore...in some fashions, linearly (dungeons) and in others, more freely (the areas that aren't constrained by dungeon structure)

I didn't like:
-graphics in the road area after the temple look abit barren

Yes, that tileset is very weak and it's not polished yet. This is due to a rush job on my part to make something interactive people could look at/play. The game, as you probably noticed, is *completely* lacking in any tutorial whatsoever. Notably, the response time for pushing a block is a bit high and that map does not make it obvious you are supposed to push it. Even making it past that, the user would probably get stuck figuring out how to equip the thing they find in a treasure box - I intend to introduce the menu/equipping at that point.

there's quite a few bugs in the collision detection, would you like me to go through those? Absolutely, if you have the time. I can't catch all of them myself, and of course the earlier, the better.

all in all, it looks like it could become a pretty cool game but I'd be scared to even consider the sheer quantity of content needed for this kind of game!

Yes, a lot! But, it seemed like the next step after finishing my previous game, in terms of scale. When I break everything down into little modules, it's not as daunting. I'm trying to keep the game scale small though, just a few solid dungeons and a few exploratory areas.

senorbarborito
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »

ok!

so the only real problem I had was when I tried to go back from the road to the temple.  if you go back into the temple without keeping the down key held down, you get kicked back into the road area.

then I came across a few times where I was able to slip my way between blocks, the typical collision stuff which only happens at certain angles and situations.  kinda hard to describe, but this happened around the blocks which are placed on the road area straight after the entrance from the temple.

I still couldn't push any blocks or the traffic cone :/

good luck with this! Smiley
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:51:06 PM »

ok!

so the only real problem I had was when I tried to go back from the road to the temple.  if you go back into the temple without keeping the down key held down, you get kicked back into the road area.

then I came across a few times where I was able to slip my way between blocks, the typical collision stuff which only happens at certain angles and situations.  kinda hard to describe, but this happened around the blocks which are placed on the road area straight after the entrance from the temple.

I still couldn't push any blocks or the traffic cone :/

good luck with this! Smiley

Ah, okay. I know the source of most of those (sloppy invisible door placement), hopefully i can pin down the others. The traffic cones act as gates that are triggered by certain events (blocks pushed, enemies dying) Will make those initial puzzles more obvious/responsive, thanks for the feedback.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »

Ha, interesting. I liked the gameplay, though the scanlines feel a bit awkward (makes me rethink using scanlines on one of my own projects, as well, heh). Maybe you could use a pixellation shader, or render it at 1x, then scale it up? I don't know, just some suggestions to get a 'retro' kind of feel.

The music was pretty good, though it didn't evoke a particularly 'scary' or 'weird' feeling.

I liked the combat pretty well - it was pretty similar to the GBC Zeldas. It felt nice and solid.

Also, I found the Flixel logo. Little guy was hanging out a couple screens up and one left.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »

Update!!!

Music/sound
I slaved over a few sound effects, and have polished up a few of the tracks.

graphics
Not too much new here, just some more spritesheets and added/changed a tileset a bit.

game design/programming

Some new things that serve as elements of the first dungeon
1. "Shieldy" enemies. These only die from the back, but also die from the laser bullets (yellow squares here). You can push them up, left, or right by hitting them. They also activate switches when over them. Some of them move.

2. Dust. I have since changed the color of the tileset and the contrast of the dust so it is visible, but these gadgets interact with your broom - they're basically moveable. You hit them, they disappear and you can attack again to place them. Currently, their only function is to block laser bullets (yellow squares).

3. The "pew lasers" (as I call them), currently red squares, shoot bullets at a certain rate. These hurt you and hurt certain enemies, but are blocked by dust.

Those elements, I think, make for a few interesting and easy puzzles in the first dungeon, which a partial in-map-editor implementation is below:

DAME is awesome! Tile matrices are magical and awesome too!

Ha, interesting. I liked the gameplay, though the scanlines feel a bit awkward (makes me rethink using scanlines on one of my own projects, as well, heh). Maybe you could use a pixellation shader, or render it at 1x, then scale it up? I don't know, just some suggestions to get a 'retro' kind of feel.

The music was pretty good, though it didn't evoke a particularly 'scary' or 'weird' feeling.

I liked the combat pretty well - it was pretty similar to the GBC Zeldas. It felt nice and solid.

Also, I found the Flixel logo. Little guy was hanging out a couple screens up and one left.

there was a picture here

Thanks for the feedback.

What is pixellation shader in general and in the context of AS3? I only have a basic familiarity with vertex and fragment shaders in relation to opengl. I did make a more pixel-y overlay thing though. It might not be dark enough but the effect is subtle and not as awkward as those lines. You can kind of see it in an above picture.

Interesting how you found the logo. I'm fairly sure it's because you walked outside of where I've defined the map so there's some unknown behavior with loading things, and some sprite must have not loaded a graphic - an unexpected easter egg of sorts!. Which does bring into mind, I could make some weird/devious easter egg/puzzles if I took advantage of how the map loading changes when you go out of bounds o___o

As for music, I am working on it. I think it fits most of the areas, but it may not convey the mood yet. I think I need to work on other aspects to convey a scary/weird feeling. There are gameplay elements that are creepy that are not there yet that will hopefully help with that...soon!

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »

Update:

I am working on a version that will be demo-able and not something mostly broken like the one I have posted above.

In it will include:

-The tutorial dungeon
-Dungeon #1
-A handful of exploreable areas.
-Some subtle way of tracking progress that may or may not be obvious.
-UI with the save system (which is implemented but you can't access it yet)

In the past week, I've mostly accomplished:

-Finishing up the first boss. It was surprisingly more work than I had anticipated.
-Working on the first dungeon
   -Interactions with dust, which block lasers
   -Adding sound effects for various hits/what not
-Drawing more of a tileset for a beach area
-Polishing up songs, throwing away ones, working on new ones...furiously!
-Coding up some enemy behavior.

I hope to have something more playable to show soon! As well as some screenshots (there are no "new and interesting" screenshots, I'd say...most of it you have to play to experience)

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »

Working on a title screen. Mechanics of it in place. Thinking of visual effects to use. Feedback would be nice for this title. I'm thinking of drawing in a person standing in the doorway with their shadow casted, and then some colorful things coming out of the shadow o_o

Finished up more beach animated tiles, worked a bit on the tileset. Still needs a lot of work but looks okay I think.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:53:31 PM by seagaia » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »

Nice sand. The center grass tiles looks a little weird - I think there shouldn't be as many dark 'blades', and they should be more sparse. The edge tiles are nice, though.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »

Nice sand. The center grass tiles looks a little weird - I think there shouldn't be as many dark 'blades', and they should be more sparse. The edge tiles are nice, though.

Yeah, those are still really janky. It was sort of fun doing the animated tiles and trying to make them seamless from one tile to the next. You can still really see the grid, though, on the edges.

-----

devlog stuff:

More work on first dungeon. Layout more or less done, I want to tweak the boss sfx and audio a bit...then add a small sequence in the room after the boss. Or something.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »

When in doubt of what has changed, check the commit logs...

Music: Not much here. I may have touched up songs, but from reaper's running time count I didn't work much
Sound: Added a handful of sound effects, of which you cannot see Sad
Art: I worked a bit on the street tileset, I want to continue to add little decorations to give it some...dimension, I guess

Game: Added an enemy, the ever-present and annoying bat.

The first dungeon is finished, but now I have to tweak the enemies because hitboxes don't feel right all the time.

I have thought of what constitutes a rough sense of gauging progress, finally. Not 100% how to represent it yet, but there's a menu screen.

Also, this:

was a badly needed "Set your own controls" thing. I've been thinking of ways to as-smooth-as-I-can integrate controls customization into the game...namely, the very first area will be  moving, with a message to set controls if the current movement is undesirable - and setting the four other inputs will come later, since I don't want to throw it at them all at once. I've found this to be a tough design point, as I don't want to kill the intro flow of the game, but you can only uh, do so much with limited controls.

In any case, progress.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »

That's look cool Smiley I love the feeling of the game Smiley

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 09:00:17 PM »

thanks dood

quick preloader intro title placeholderish stuff

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »

So, we grow closer to the demo. Need some screen transitions and a few more things and songs and should be good to go. I think! Hopefully by the end of this weekend.

A gif of this would be cool, but here's this. Turned out to be simpler than I had though.

wg/funstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »

Hello fellow flixeler, I think I recognize your avatar from the flixel forums!

Looking good, any chance of an updated playable version? Seems you've come quite far since the first one posted.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »

Hello fellow flixeler, I think I recognize your avatar from the flixel forums!

Looking good, any chance of an updated playable version? Seems you've come quite far since the first one posted.

Hello!! +1 flixel .

Yes, as soon as I get home I'm going to get to work on getting a new playable version. Things that it (already) includes are

- Short short intro area which is really just a way to allow the player to set their controls in a not totally-intrusive way (we'll see what people think)
- Tutorial dungeon
- 1st dungeon (or maybe the 2nd, it might be a little hard)
- Two "explore" areas.
- music/sfx (oh boy)
- title screen, menu, save system!

so it should be playable! soon!

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »

Woo-hoo, bug-fixing and a bunch of tweaks later and I have a working demo build.

Play it here!

The features are in the first post, but to re-iterate:

-A tutorial dungeon and a full dungeon
-Two small explorable areas
-music, sound!
-save system.

I'm creating a feedback thread too: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26664

Bonus! Ambient-ish song for a later area:

http://soundcloud.com/seagaia/thedrawerrealm-intra
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:53:45 PM by seagaia » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 06:46:24 PM »

I was hesitant that Yume Nikki and Zelda wouldn't go together. This actually seems like it will make it work, though I'm afraid late-game will lose its appeal if you get loaded with powerful weapons that make the creatures feel powerless.

I like that the introduction is extremely brief and you are given control almost immediately.

Is it normal for the player to be able to hold the broom extended? It seems to make most combat trivial, especially the circling bats.

The introduction actually is pretty good. It made it really clear right away how things work, though I recognized the Zelda: Link's Awakening vibe with the cracked floors so that might have helped.

On the screen left of the first locked door I killed the monsters and found the key, but then managed to sweep it off to the left where I couldn't grab it. It didn't respawn when I left the room and returned, but I could just walk through the lock so I think I didn't need it?

The part with the shadowy guy following me was actually pretty creepy.

I liked the contrast of the beach environment to the spooky temple. You ought to emphasize those kinds of sudden contrast more as the game progresses.

I found the hidden guy leaning against the wall near the temple entrance. The left wall in that room is not solid, so you can walk through it and enter a wall.

The dungeon was okay, but typical Zelda fare. It was actually the low point of the demo because it didn't really feel special. It needs some kind of theme that is more interesting than just "Temple". Maybe have some bizarre statues depicting people with too many limbs, or holes in the floor that blink at you like they're eyes. It feels like the starting six hearts is about right.

The boss was kind of forgettable. I did like the part where he makes a big shockwave you have to block.

You're off to a great start! I hope you see this through to the end.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic