Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:13:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLow-Res Ninja FPS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Low-Res Ninja FPS  (Read 3520 times)
MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »

Heya guys!

I got back on the development of this little wolfenstein3D-like ninja-themed fps after a year... sadly last summer stuff happened that mined my game-making inspiration for quite some time... now I'm back on track, more or less.

Right now I've got the engine running, first annoying type of enemy that walks around and throws kunais at you, and some rice balls and ramen soups that restores your health.

The game is planned to play in quite a old-school way, with some addition in have in mind like magic scrolls hidden around the stages for over-powered awesomeness, and limited saves based on the difficuly level.

Still grinding around for the name.
Pics are 200%. Maybe they're a bit too pixelly, might work on the scaler to see what I can take out of it.

*blog - *tweet - *leon
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »

I absolutely love the art style, can't wait to try this out.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »

I agree with Indecom, I'm digging the style you have going on here.

I'm curious about some of the technical details. Will you have any vertical (y-axis) movement/geometry? Are you planning on lighting at all?

Edit:
Just noticed, maybe a little too much AA on the number font?

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »

Looks sleek!  The colors are lovely, looking forward to seeing more. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »

I like ninjas.  I like low-res shooters.  I like colors.  Color me interested.

Kramlack
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »

What Alec S. said, you're my hero.
MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:33:04 AM »

Thanks for the motivation guys, I appreciate it!
Updates from today!

Started 2 new types of enemies: the red ninja, which shoots shurikens which are faster than the kunais and is a bit more hard to hit since it strafes around more than the purple ninja; and the green ninja, which teleports around the room and shoots 3-way kunais. Still coding this last one.

Enemies now drops ammo when killed.

Plus I added a new item, the healing pill, which restores 50% of health and is the strongest healing item; and some new weapons, the shuriken (which is the same as the one thrown at you by the red ninja) and the repeater crossbow (Berserk ftw) which is fast and powerful but eats ammo like no tomorrow.

I'm curious about some of the technical details. Will you have any vertical (y-axis) movement/geometry? Are you planning on lighting at all?
No, I was planning to go for something Wolf3D like, no vertical movement. No plans for lighting either, maybe some fog in a dark cave stage?

Just noticed, maybe a little too much AA on the number font?
Ah, that's because it's not a pixel-perfect font. It's temporary though, may replace it in the future.

*blog - *tweet - *leon
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »

This looking great and will definitely be following Ninja

Is it all going to be indoor environments?

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »

I think outdoor scenes are going to be tricky with a raycaster. The problem is the sky. Unless you make the sky from one solid color, whenever you go near a wall you see how near and flat the sky actually is. Unless of course you do what Doom did and fill the whole game background with the sky texture and shift it left and right based on the player orientation.

And maybe you can do something with the floor texture to make it less detailed or scale up the floorboards. It gets really distorted in the distance atm.

And I know this looks funny but just a small idea to further convey who you are as a character. That ninja outfit actually does limit the visibility I think.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:55:26 PM by Eigen » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic