Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:06:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMisshoni - Pre-alpha Win / Linux Demo Out
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Misshoni - Pre-alpha Win / Linux Demo Out  (Read 19544 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »

Thanks. That meter sounds interesting, but I doubt I can implement it within the month. Maybe I'll consider it when I really 'make' the game.

I added co-op head-jumping. It's working alright. Not perfect, but alright. I think I'll want the player who gets jumped on to kind of 'faceplant' on the way back to the ground, as though they can't do anything else. Although, I have an idea for a puzzle based around this - I have to kind of think it through. It's also looking like some puzzles will require a sentient partner (unless I build the AI in to help you through them, though I won't be able to do that before the demo).

poe
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »

Thanks. That meter sounds interesting, but I doubt I can implement it within the month. Maybe I'll consider it when I really 'make' the game.

I added co-op head-jumping. It's working alright. Not perfect, but alright. I think I'll want the player who gets jumped on to kind of 'faceplant' on the way back to the ground, as though they can't do anything else. Although, I have an idea for a puzzle based around this - I have to kind of think it through. It's also looking like some puzzles will require a sentient partner (unless I build the AI in to help you through them, though I won't be able to do that before the demo).

Maybe a button to swap between which character you control? Could help for when you die too, I would hate to have my life in the hands of an AI
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 11:20:59 PM »

@poe - The button could be a good idea, particularly when you die... I'll have to think about it. The upside is obvious - when you die, you can control yourself as you try to save your life. On the other hand, it could be interesting if your partner could get to you in time. Or it could just go to "GAME OVER" and make you reload from a previous save point. Whichever.

So I built up the AI to be a lot more combatant, and decided to simplify how it works. It can now take down an enemy by itself, jumping and shooting. It should be able to do so without sustaining too much damage... :S I had a GIF for this, but I don't want to keep posting GIFs with the same background. Tongue

Anyway, tomorrow's plan is to implement the second enemy, port over some of the lighting code from Soldier Of (if I can), and build up the world a bit more (hopefully).

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 04:10:41 AM »

Huh, that sounds like an interesting mechanic. But then, why wouldn't you ever be friendly? Also, it would kind of turn your partner into a pet - like you constantly have to watch her, or else she'll let you die later. But it might be worth it.

Nah, you're taking it too literally. It can be as simple or complex as you want.

Example:
Program her the way you already want. That's the baseline. Now when the player watches out for her, say beyond the degree that is expected, then the meter goes up a touch. If he does the opposite then it goes down.

The impact of the meter can be scaled however you want. Say a full meter means the partner is 30% more likely to choose maneuvers that directly protect the player.

To avoid "mothering" you can set it so the worst possible state of the meter only makes the partner mildly less helpful. Maybe she's just as good of a fighter but less responsive to the player's lead. Just by adjusting variables you can create whatever experience you want.

If you are already building AI, then this sort of feature is an easy thing to add and play around with. But those are just my ideas.

Added bonus: the player will be more aware of his partner. When players play co-op, that practice will transfer with them, likely creating a more cooperative experience.

Little touches like so go a long way to humanize an AI. Sometimes a little fluctuation in behaviour does wonders in the player's imagination.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »

I see what you mean now. That would be an interesting mechanic, for sure. Maybe I'll try messing about with the variables to add more personality.

------------ 6 Days Remaining (or so) ------------

So today, I didn't do everything that I aimed to do yesterday, but I did get some stuff done. I started on a website of my very own, surprisingly. I have the home page, which is currently just talking about Misshoni. It would be better to have separate sections for each game that I'm working on instead, but I'm just happy that I've gotten this far. Once it's finished, I'll post the link to the site.

The new enemy Stomp has been implemented. He jumps up into the air, and tries to land on you. He also shoots power waves up from the ground, so you have to be careful when dodging. The animation's large because it's zoomed in, by the way. Also, I disabled the partner AI because it took him out too quickly. :p

Finally, I (kind of) polished another song that I made earlier for Misshoni. It's called Wind Cell. It comes in a bit loud (warning headphone users), and it repeats too much, but I like the feel of it.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 12:10:05 AM »

Those trees really bother the hell out of me, especially the one on the dirt patch.
It looks like it should be in front of everything.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 12:17:59 AM »

Yeah, fade 'em.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 02:12:58 AM »

For me, the camera movement feels dizzying. Perhaps a smooth movement would be better instead of discrete steps. It's especially notiacble at the end of the animation when the chacter comes to a stop and the camera catches up and settles down - it looks like it's moving in a zig-zag (right > down > right > down ..) instead of a straight diagonal line.

About the tune. I like it. I'm usually not bothered by repetition in background music, so I don't think that's a problem. What bothers me is the weird souding low percussion thump. I think it's too noticeable and there's some pitch sliding going on which doesn't quite fit. If it's drum thing, the pitch shouldn't change. I think that's what out of tune toms sound like Smiley

The graphics are awesome but I agree with others on that the tree is too detailed compared to other things.

Keep it up, it's all looking mighty fiiiiine! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:41 AM »

The music has a more haunting, mature, retro quality (than other retro tunes). I can see a good soundtrack forming, assuming proper balance with other tracks around core experience.
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 03:05:31 AM »

I highly love this.

SolarLune I follow you from BlenderArtists.com about two years ago and I saw you have a good talent for pixel art and 8 bit music too. I hope you get very far with this.
Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2012, 09:59:14 AM »

Wannabe game designer? Your past wannabe and full fledged amateur nearing pro.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 11:06:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've moved the tree forward, and also lowered the volume of the kick drum on the music.

@devMidgard - Hah, thanks.
@Nu-Type - I wish. :p

So, I'm pretty much done. I didn't get nearly enough done gameplay and world-building wise, and I don't really have much more steam to continue. I'm not going to add much more - maybe the music and some sounds, and flesh out the area I've got a bit. I don't have a lot of time remaining, and I miss Soldier Of, so maybe I'll end it early (before Wednesday) and get a demo out.

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 03:06:23 AM »

You know, for a 1 month, 1 person project, this is really good! So excellent job! Looking forward to the demo.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »

wanting to test so bad  Shocked

is there a chance of it?  Waaagh!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »

Your game is looking awesome(the visuals especially) so far - Keep up the great work  Hand Thumbs Up Right
I'm also a bit curious to know where your game takes place Tongue

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »

You're a cool guy, and you make cool stuff.

I'm glad you exist.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »

one day left of october, go go go gogogogogogogogogo!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »

@zede05 - Hah, thanks.
@Connor - Yes, tomorrow evening, in fact.
@Code_Assassin - Thanks. It takes place in an alien land, far away from Earth.
@cynicalsandal - Thanks a lot.
@eigenbom - YESSSSSSSSSSS.

- NEXT TO FINAL DAY -

Yeaaaaaah... So, I didn't really work on this until pretty much right now, 11:41 PM on the day before the last day. Trying to create a simple map to test out for the demo. Also want to implement a flying enemy, instant death, a basic message system (where you can examine things) - the basic stuff so that you can get a feel for playing. Instant death will mean restarting the game. Crazy

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 11:07:11 PM »

I like 99% of this game and 1% i didn't like was the is dizzy camera.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2012, 07:48:34 AM »

Okay, so I've worked a bit on the level layout. Wanted to add some other things, but I think I'll focus on sounds and music next. Implemented doors, as well - pressing down makes you go through them, regardless of which player does it. In the full version, you'll have to be near each other.

The 'TEXT' window is the beginning of a dialog system, if I can get it to work.

That jagginess at the corners is because I'm using interpolation and large images now.

@beetleking22 - Thanks. The camera's jaggy movement is fixed.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic