Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:51:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsOddBrawlz [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: OddBrawlz [FINISHED]  (Read 6717 times)
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »

Complete!

READ BELOW BEFORE CLICKING THIS LINK: http://davekov.com/oddbrawlz/

Turned out as some sort of half boxing game, half Tomagotchi.

Controls:
You'll see a grid over your OddBrawlz Opponent. Use the Numpad to punch in the corresponding grid spaces when you see a weak point. If you don't have a Numpad, or if you're a leftie, use QWE, ASD, & ZXC. (Always provide for the south paws.)

NOTE: this is my first go-round with Construct 2, and the finished game seems to take ages to load on first playthrough. Not sure why that is, the finished game is less than 3 megs. But it has been giving me massive grief on that end, and throws a lot of Unresponsive Script messages at me. Wait it out. Also, you can download for offline play, erm, apparently.

Cheers.

-----[original post follows]-----

Making a small-ish boxing game as a crash-course in Construct 2. Will hopefully have some graphics to show next week. Core mechanic is working, in that "boy, I'm going to gut this and rebuild it tomorrow" way.

Will have a name at some point, but that point is not now!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:06:59 PM by Peevish » Logged
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:40:19 AM »

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:24:30 PM »

Complete! Adjusting title post with relevant info.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »

this anim doesn't look like the way real boxers punch at all, but it looks nice for street fighting.

I always wanted to play a game like that anyway, I'll give it a try.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »

Sorry, I don't get the controls at all. but I think I scored a few points?

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:30:56 AM »

At first, I had a lot of trouble playing because :
1 - I don't have a numpad
2 - I got an azerty keyboard (of course I was able to switch it to qwerty, but at first, it was even difficult to know if it was switched or not)

Then...I had a lot of fun and beat that opponent's ass!

This really is a great idea, and I LOVE the animations! But I think the game has two major flaws (which is only one in fact)
- It's pretty hard to get at first
- Then, when we eventually get it, it became quite easy because there only 3 or 4 different attacks from the opponent.
So...the problem is difficulty : too hard for too long, then too easy too quick ^^. The really challenging moment is in fact, pretty short.

As I said, I had a great fun anyway and I'm really impressed! Now I hope you want to push it further, and create a difficulty curve, which slower moves at first, and more different attacks in the end Smiley

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »

Hey all, thanks for the feedback! I'm noticing in the machines I've tested on that the numpad doesn't actually work, and I realize the coding mistake I made there, so stick to the letter buttons.

I wrote up a post-mortem, primarily discussing the virtues and drawbacks of using Construct 2, over here: http://innuendostudios.com/2012/12/07/oddbrawlz-post-mortem/

tl;dr - can see myself using happily Construct for prototyping for a loooooooong time, can't see myself every spending $120 on the full version.
QCPolmer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 08:23:36 PM »

The rotoscoping in this game looks great.

I was wondering, why not use mouse controls?

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »

This is a great concept and I can see it being a fun time waster on phones/tablets. At the moment though the limited(3) combos means that it is far too easy. You only need four keys, x, c, s, and q, to play, and I quickly racked up 200 points with barely a scratch on me in no time. Add in a shedload more combos and port to mobiles and I think you might have a mini-hit on your hands. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic