Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026660 Posts in 41161 Topics- by 32769 Members - Latest Member: rafaelchm

July 25, 2014, 09:21:34 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsFinishedPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 165701 times)
johnki
Level 9

Invisi-wizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2013, 01:50:28 AM »

I was wondering if the warning should mention the exact mistake. I assumed it wouldn't help much since by the time you get the warning the entrant is gone and you can't check their papers anymore. But both you and Armageddon have mentioned it so I'll experiment.
Speaking from experience, in my last playthrough, I got 4 warnings on the first day. I had no idea what I did wrong. For the most part, on the first day, I thought I was supposed to approve pretty much everyone since I couldn't highlight discrepancies.

So, even if not exact, more info would be greatly appreciated.

dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2013, 02:06:34 AM »

Speaking from experience, in my last playthrough, I got 4 warnings on the first day. I had no idea what I did wrong. For the most part, on the first day, I thought I was supposed to approve pretty much everyone since I couldn't highlight discrepancies.
So, even if not exact, more info would be greatly appreciated.

Hehe ok that's good to know. This is a little scary though because the first bulletin states matter-of-factly that you should only permit Arstotzkan citizens to enter due to a security alert. Did you read the bulletin when playing?

In retrospect, people will probably miss important bulletin info no matter what so a detailed warning report seems necessary.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2013, 02:10:54 AM »

Can you give me more info about this? The inspect mode should let you highlight any two pieces of information. Did you highlight two clearly discrepant pieces of info and it didn't show the Interrogate button?
Personally I think inspect mode should get thrown out all together, and you should be able to question the person 'directly'.
Because at the moment it isn't really clear.
I had a guy who said he came to work, his entry permit said travel, but he still lacked a work permit.
I would've shunted the guy out because he said he came to work, but lacked the work permit.

The way that worked for me in inspect mode, is that I highlighted the rule saying he lacked a work permit, and the table meaning he didn't have one, but it wouldn't give it to me.
In my idea, you'd click the rule about not having a work permit, and your character would ask them about it.
"Where is your work permit?"
"What? Oh, I come for travel. Apologies."
You could then check his entry permit to see if that's what it said.

I personally only use inspect mode to double check, or to compare dates. Beyond that, I don't touch it, since I'm already inspecting everything.

johnki
Level 9

Invisi-wizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2013, 02:19:01 AM »

This is a little scary though because the first bulletin states matter-of-factly that you should only permit Arstotzkan citizens to enter due to a security alert. Did you read the bulletin when playing?
Not well enough, apparently!

I won't lie. I only scanned it the first time. Totally missed that part. That would probably be the problem.

With some other ones, though, I swear I checked everything except height. Would be nice to know if discrepant height is actually what I'm getting penalized for.

EDIT: Played again. Yep. That was the problem.

Got no discrepancies the first day then got slammed with 4 in a row the second day. Facepalm Really wondering what I missed though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:13:17 AM by johnki » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Jebus backups.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2013, 03:16:26 AM »

I played it for quite a while this morning and it was really awesome! Very nicely done. Hand Clap

There's a slight issue with the music. Sometimes it cuts off after the first beat with a weird glitchy sound. Next couple of times it may work just fine. This happens both during the intro and the "day over" screen.

Would there be any way to increase the size of the document inspection area just a tad bit? I know it's probably intentional but there's a lot workspace management just to get the document you want and it feels like an unneccesary action.

It can get a little repetive after playing for a while but I guess once the "day over" screen is fully implemented and you have to manage your earnings it would break the monotony a bit.

I'm definitely going to play it some more. This game made feel sorry for the actual immigration officers. Having to be this alert all of the time is really exhausting mentally ...

Jobastion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2013, 07:19:32 PM »

Can you give me more info about this? The inspect mode should let you highlight any two pieces of information. Did you highlight two clearly discrepant pieces of info and it didn't show the Interrogate button?
Personally I think inspect mode should get thrown out all together, and you should be able to question the person 'directly'.
Because at the moment it isn't really clear.
I had a guy who said he came to work, his entry permit said travel, but he still lacked a work permit.
I would've shunted the guy out because he said he came to work, but lacked the work permit.

The way that worked for me in inspect mode, is that I highlighted the rule saying he lacked a work permit, and the table meaning he didn't have one, but it wouldn't give it to me.
In my idea, you'd click the rule about not having a work permit, and your character would ask them about it.
"Where is your work permit?"
"What? Oh, I come for travel. Apologies."
You could then check his entry permit to see if that's what it said.

I personally only use inspect mode to double check, or to compare dates. Beyond that, I don't touch it, since I'm already inspecting everything.
For this situation, you'd pull the audio transcript, which is sorta hidden behind the microphone, then highlight the line where he says he came for work and the line on the entry  permit that says it is for travel, which will reveal the discrepancy.

Later on it may not be a bad idea to have a brief tutorial of the items that are available at the start of the game. (I missed the audio transcript the first time around)
"Rule book to right.  Regular updated.  Check each day.  Audio transcript is middle.  Keep track, many lies traitors tell to bring down Arstotzka.  Clock to left.  Time always short.  Coffee break lever at top.  No coffee breaks, do not use."
dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »

Got no discrepancies the first day then got slammed with 4 in a row the second day. Facepalm Really wondering what I missed though.

Ok. Thanks for trying it out again. Next build will list the mistake on the warning.

There's a slight issue with the music. Sometimes it cuts off after the first beat with a weird glitchy sound. Next couple of times it may work just fine. This happens both during the intro and the "day over" screen.

Damn. This was happening for me too but I thought (hoped really) it was just an issue with the VM. HaxeNME uses SDL_Mixer for audio and tbh it's a bit shit.

Would there be any way to increase the size of the document inspection area just a tad bit? I know it's probably intentional but there's a lot workspace management just to get the document you want and it feels like an unneccesary action.

If I bump up to 16:9, there'll be a lot more room for documents. Still pondering.

It can get a little repetive after playing for a while but I guess once the "day over" screen is fully implemented and you have to manage your earnings it would break the monotony a bit.

The current build is still a little barren. I'm hoping to have enough story events (plus night mode and sniping) to keep things interesting for a while.

I can see where you're coming from but the inspect mechanic is pretty set. The game needs this separate mode for the player to express their intent clearly. The fact that all errors are due to correlation (2 pieces of the same info don't match) gives a clear structure that I think is important. If you can just click on what you think is an error, there's nothing stopping you from just clicking on each piece of info in turn and waiting for the dialog to pop up. With the inspection you have to show you understand each error.

For this situation, you'd pull the audio transcript, which is sorta hidden behind the microphone, then highlight the line where he says he came for work and the line on the entry  permit that says it is for travel, which will reveal the discrepancy.

Yeah this is the way I intended it to work. But actually DustyDrake's method should've also worked. One of my goals is to have all the logical correlations work for any given error. So if they say they're coming for work, you should be able to point out a missing work pass and get them to correct their response. I'll try to get this implemented for the next build.

I'm glad to be posting these alphas as public b/c I can easily miss "logical" correlations like this.

Later on it may not be a bad idea to have a brief tutorial of the items that are available at the start of the game. (I missed the audio transcript the first time around)
"Rule book to right.  Regular updated.  Check each day.  Audio transcript is middle.  Keep track, many lies traitors tell to bring down Arstotzka.  Clock to left.  Time always short.  Coffee break lever at top.  No coffee breaks, do not use."

Good idea and brilliant text. Especially the coffee break lever is perfect. Wish I thought of it! Do you mind if I use it? Maybe I'll even issue a warning if you flip the lever.

epcc
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2013, 09:25:36 PM »

I was wondering if the warning should mention the exact mistake. I assumed it wouldn't help much since by the time you get the warning the entrant is gone and you can't check their papers anymore. But both you and Armageddon have mentioned it so I'll experiment.

Another problem was that when sometimes there was multiple disparencies, it only let me highlight one of them.

What I meant was that it let me highlight it, but said matching data, altough it broke the rules. If I remember correctly, it was someone who tried to work, but had no work permit and maybe his entry permit had no valid seal.
Playing again, I couldn't find it, but found another bug. It seems that when you get someone whose fingerprints aren't matching, there's a detain button, but it didn't work.

Armageddon
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »

I agree that there should be something between things, money management is good, but also you could do something like Hotline Miami and start out in your apartment or something and walk to work.
Jobastion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »

"Rule book to right.  Regular updated.  Check each day.  Audio transcript is middle.  Keep track, many lies traitors tell to bring down Arstotzka.  Clock to left.  Time always short.  Coffee break lever at top.  No coffee breaks, do not use."

Good idea and brilliant text. Especially the coffee break lever is perfect. Wish I thought of it! Do you mind if I use it? Maybe I'll even issue a warning if you flip the lever.
I'm glad you like it, you may use it as you please.
dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »

John Polson at Indiegames.com posted an article about Papers Please!

Awesome!  Grin

Slushy_
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »

I hope you don't mind I uploaded a video to my channel , it seems to be popular in the reddit/r/indiegaming community so far.  Beer!  (Despite me being terrible at it )

http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/17ym9q/papers_please_alpha_gameplay/

I make Indie Game preview vids  Smiley
dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »

I hope you don't mind I uploaded a video to my channel , it seems to be popular in the reddit/r/indiegaming community so far.  Beer!  (Despite me being terrible at it )
http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/17ym9q/papers_please_alpha_gameplay/

Haha, great video. Thanks Slushy! Clearly, I gotta make the game easier to play at the start.

IAmSerge
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #193 on: February 05, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »

Hi, I'm Serge; just registered.

Anyways, just wanted to say I really enjoyed the game so far!
Very impressed!  Anywhere I can just... get the one theme song for it somewhere? XD

Also, just read that you have a custom built C++ engine hanging around; I'm working on one myself, at the moment.  May I ask what it all supports and has, built into the engine?  Just curious to see where you took it!
sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2013, 11:54:36 PM »

I really like the art style. It looks soo AMIGA'ish. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic