Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:20:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 112366 times)
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »

Pretty nice color and simple style.. Bar Shelf and bar perspective looks little bit weird?

Haha, it took me a couple days but I finally saw what you mean today. Tony is going to fix it.

Nothing super exciting to report, been working on getting items in for GDC Demo, tweaking player movement, collisions, and just generally starting to polish stuff. Most of the boring stuff is programmed now, so just need to focus on the dungeon and enemies for a couple weeks while Tony finishes up the surface graphics.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »

Spent the last few hours finally implementing spikes! Tony got me the graphics quite a while ago, but I had a million other things to do first.

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2013, 06:44:20 AM »

Oooh, spikes. Lots of questions for this:

How dangerous are they?
  • Barely hurt?
  • Heavy damage?
  • Instant death?

Can we hurt them?
  • Static tile?
  • Can be broken?
  • Destroys projectiles?
  • Collectible resource?

Do they bother enemies?
  • Ignores enemies?
  • Less damage to them?
  • Provides cover?

All I can come up with right now.
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »

I saw you did a livestream earlier. I sadly missed it so I hope you do another soon. Those spikes look good but they do feel like they aren't too dangerous looking. Maybe they need to be pointer?

I took that idea and edited the middle section some (hope you don't mind). I think it helps make them stand out but does take a little bit of the depth away from it. Just a thought.

Those are some good questions Linkshot. I'm curious too. Smiley

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »

Oooh, spikes. Lots of questions for this:

How dangerous are they?
  • Barely hurt?
  • Heavy damage?
  • Instant death?

Can we hurt them?
  • Static tile?
  • Can be broken?
  • Destroys projectiles?
  • Collectible resource?

Do they bother enemies?
  • Ignores enemies?
  • Less damage to them?
  • Provides cover?

All I can come up with right now.

Wow! Lots of questions :D

They only affect the player right now, and no they're not insta-death. I think people would kill me for that :D They take a good chunk of your health, then you gotta do your best to jump out! I'll give some thought to other stuff, I haven't really had a chance to brainstorm much.

I saw you did a livestream earlier. I sadly missed it so I hope you do another soon. Those spikes look good but they do feel like they aren't too dangerous looking. Maybe they need to be pointer?

I took that idea and edited the middle section some (hope you don't mind). I think it helps make them stand out but does take a little bit of the depth away from it. Just a thought.

Yea, I've been doing live streams on and off. Just watch your twitter feed, I'll probably do one again here soon.

Thanks for the feedback on the spikes, I'll talk to Tony about it. They need adjusted anyway with how the collisions lined up, wasn't super happy with it.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: February 14, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »

Checking in again! It's been a few days since my last update, but I didn't have too much to show. Had a lot of menu work to do like implementing scrolling, confirm boxes, and all that boring stuff. I think I finished up the bulk of it though, so I've started to move on to content.

The last few days I've spent on adding fountains (hp, mp, or full rejuvenation with cure), status effects (poisoned, 50% extra experience, 50% extra fortune, protection, temp stat buffs like strength, etc.), and lastly shrines you can pray at to receive status effects. I also added Strength Potions, Antidote for curing poisoning, and some other cool little stuff.

I'm either working on traps or enemies next, haven't decided which yet :D Here's a rough shot with temp graphics showing all that stuff I was talking about:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:57:27 AM by DiscordGames » Logged
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »

Today I worked on Altars. It's a little different than standard rogue-likes.. I think? Instead of placing corpses, I thought it would be cool to drop items out of your inventory as a sacrifice. The dropped item is destroyed, and you get a corresponding permanent stat bonus depending on its value. I won't give away too much though on exactly how works :D Altars are one time use only, so you must choose wisely!

I'm planning on making pressure plates for triggering traps next!
[bk]door.maus
Level 0

Remember what the dormouse said: feed your head.

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 14, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »

I just sat here and read through the thread. Amazing work! There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said. I can't wait to see more Smiley.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »

A couple of announcements to make!

First off, the very talented pixel artist Glauber Kotaki is helping us reach our deadlines with the GDC demo! He did a couple cool things as a test, including the innkeeper:

Also of note, we have new forums up! Stop by and say hi at http://discordgames.com/forums

I've been working hard on traps, improving item drops, etc. This week I'm switching over to enemies, so we'll have some cool stuff to show off soon :D
editmode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »

Just wanted to say it looks great, love the cool palette and wintry, cold feel to it all.

BTW, what is the font you're using for item names in the Inventory? Looks similar to one used in various games by Square.

UFO Dad coming soon!
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »

Just wanted to say it looks great, love the cool palette and wintry, cold feel to it all.

BTW, what is the font you're using for item names in the Inventory? Looks similar to one used in various games by Square.

Thanks!

Yea, a lot of the fonts that small actually all look about the same since the pixel count is so incredibly limited. All the fonts in the game are by Craig Kroeger, and the one you are talking about in particular is Uni 05_53.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »

Hey everyone -- I'm still alive! Been a crazy week working on the player a lot, tweaking stuff. We've got in a whole new animation set I can't wait to show off, but until then, Glauber did a new take on the blacksmith!

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2013, 02:08:41 AM »

Those clouds seem really jerky..

Vovosunt
Level 0

Lolcat

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2013, 06:16:50 AM »

Those clouds seem really jerky..

Slow per-pixel movement...
Not really much of a choice there. It's either that or horrible alialising/texture smoothing issues.

Cheetah
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2013, 08:59:25 PM »

Thoughts on the animation:
1) Make the clouds move even slower, maybe this will make it look less jerky.
2) The idle animation seems a bit fast, as if he is winded already. If he is calm he should pause a bit and the end of his inhale and exhale.
3) Bigger sparks and a bit of bright lighting on the anvil and Smith from the strike will really add some life to this action.
4) One more frame of animation for the hammer recoil might look good so that it has more weight. Right now it is just half way up and all the way, something in between to slow it all down.
5) I love this snow effect I could watch it all day, do you have a description somewhere on how you achieved this?
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »

Thoughts on the animation:
1) Make the clouds move even slower, maybe this will make it look less jerky.
2) The idle animation seems a bit fast, as if he is winded already. If he is calm he should pause a bit and the end of his inhale and exhale.
3) Bigger sparks and a bit of bright lighting on the anvil and Smith from the strike will really add some life to this action.
4) One more frame of animation for the hammer recoil might look good so that it has more weight. Right now it is just half way up and all the way, something in between to slow it all down.
5) I love this snow effect I could watch it all day, do you have a description somewhere on how you achieved this?

Thanks for the feedback! The clouds and snow are both affected by wind that slowly changes directions and intensity over time. So basically if the snow is coming down straight then the clouds are barely moving in the backdrop. I will try tweaking it some more, but this is one of those times where per pixel movement kinda sucks :D

I haven't written anywhere about the snow effect yet. It's kinda funny cause I fought with it for the longest time, and watched cheesy flash ones to try and figure it out. Basically there's 3 layers of depth to it, and they all operate on same principle but farther back layers just move slower and are more transparent.

When a flake is reset, it's given a random base fall speed, and will be in action until it lands on the ground. A random "updraft" value is added onto the the fall speed each frame to make it look a little more realistic and not fall exactly in line with every flake around it. For horizontal movement, the major factor is obviously wind speed (just a value ranging from -x to x). But on it's own that's a little boring, so I added a randomization vector to it as well, just adding or subtracting tiny increments each frame. The sides of camera are wrapped, so if it goes off left side it comes back on right. Hope that makes some sense!
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »

Dude it's just a snowflake oh my god
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »

Dude it's just a snowflake oh my god

Hey, I'm allowed to obsess over every single pixel :D (just ask Tony)
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »

It's okay I probably would have done the same. Be thankful you only have one pixel to work with so you couldn't make a snowflake generator.
Cheetah
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »

Wow I have been following and appreciating the work on this project, but now I have even more respect for it. Sounds like an ingenious snow generation effect. Final suggestion on the clouds would to just move them with parallax movement when the player walks, and then just randomly change their starting position every time the player leaves and returns to the overworld. Leaving it is probably fine too, but right now it really distracts from the beauty of the rest of the pixel art and animations.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic