Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:39:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Punchball!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Punchball!  (Read 6991 times)
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »

I promised the backers on SportsFriends' Kickstarter page that I would donate a local multiplayer game, so here's me starting development on it!

Here's the first mock-up! The final game will probably look quite different from this!

• The game's named PunchBall for now, but I might change it to something more... punchy later on!
  • Take boxing and soccer, blend them up together nicely, toss in a handful of absurd fun and you've got PunchBall!
  • Here's what we have in mind for now: The game's played only with two buttons per player. There's a player selected at all times, with a little colored circle underneath. The first button lets you switch to another character. When a player is selected, an arrow spins him/her 360 degrees - pressing the second button will have that character dash in the direction the arrow is currently pointing, fist forward! I'll mock this up soon, we'll see if it works!
  • The game's all about punching. Punch the ball to propel it forward - you never catch or throw the ball, you just punch it! I was thinking the game's slogan would be "You can ONLY use your FISTS!"
  • I'm not sure yet, but punching another player will probably damage him in some way. Maybe it should break parts of the direction circle under a player, meaning that player will be weaker when dashing in the broken directions?
  • The game's gonna be either 1vs1, or 2vs2, local multiplayer! I can't wait to try this out with a bunch of my friends!
  • I'm keeping an open mind about gameplay - we'll start prototyping it soon, and we'll play around with the mechanics, the number of players, the size of the field, and so on, until it feels just right!
  • I'm working on this with Technobeanie and Seventysevian, the same dudes who are coding Greedy Piggy Chase!
  • I'll be adding a crowd, trainers, lights, and other cool stuff around the field/ring!
  • I'm hoping to get a few different teams in there, and player variety too, guys and gals, maybe some special characters too!

I'll also do some more work on the pixel art, please leave comments and help me out, it's my first real try at doing a game in pixels!

Gentleman
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:50:27 PM by Dom2D » Logged

thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »

Sound like a fun and interesting concept. Keep up the good work man.
Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »

You could have the ref be worth points to punch, but hard to destroy/make dead. Like maybe a zombie ref that rises from the dead every time he's destroyed. Something fun like that. You seem to have some nice ideas to start with so I'll be watching.
egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:17:49 PM »

Jajajajaja, the image make me laugh. It´s a great original idea, I love it. And as always, i love your graphic style @dom2d.
Suscribed!

antoniodamala
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »

This is gonna be crazy ass fun hahaha.  Hand Any Key Hand Joystick

Also the slogan should be something in the lines: "PUNCHING BALLS TO VICTORY" or at least has something with hitting balls just for the sake of ambiguity.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »

Work in progress. Tons of work to do on the characters... Notice the punching guy is slightly larger than the others, I think that's where I'm going - bigger, chunkier dudes.

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »

This game is basically begging for realistic sweat simulation. Corny Laugh

But nice work so far, you should post a video!

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »

Can't wait for it, love dem hot-seat for 2 players games  Kiss

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »

It's almost finished!

egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 10:16:11 PM »

That´s good news man! (as always).
I want to play this, u know, I love your style (and projects).

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 10:41:59 PM »

very nice Smiley

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »

The first thing that pops into my head when I see this is the old NES Ice Hockey game. Such a simple concept, and so fun. Looks like a really great project, and I can't wait to see it done Smiley

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »

Lovely concept - kind of like a post-apocalyptic game of Subbuteo... Can't wait to see how it plays.

siskavard
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 03:29:37 PM »

Cool!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 12:04:58 AM »

This seems really fun! My only question is: Does it work? Can you like, actually get a player to a position where you want him?

Oh, and another question, how do the currently not-controlled players move? Do they just kind of litter about, or is there some AI going on?

Maybe you could even make an opponent AI for this game, it shouldn't be too complicated. Say that the red players are the AI - then all they need to do is semi-randomly select a player to control, and check whether that player is to the left or to the right of the ball. If he's to the right of the ball he should just go for it trying to punch it leftwards. If he's to the left of the ball the AI could either pick another player, or make him approach the ball in a semi-circle, so he's getting to it from the right side.

Anyway, really like this thing, and the art is cool too!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic