Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:57:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio"1-bit" Pokemon Music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "1-bit" Pokemon Music  (Read 3847 times)
Biggerfish
« on: September 30, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »

Read

Basically, I am going to compose 8 monophonic themes for the gym leaders of pokemon g/s/c. I'm still deciding on how to do it (whether to use FL studio, famitracker or something else) so any input on that would be appreciated. This is inspired by the fact that it's a challenge and some cool thing Tristan Perich did that I saw on that chiptune documentary that was posted here a while ago. There's also the thread (increpare's I think) with monophonic tunes (that I need to get around to listening to) that might have influenced this decision.

This thread is now about Monophonic Pokemon music, I will be posting updates, wish me luck and give advice please!
increpare
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 07:08:24 AM »

Ah, cool idea.  In terms of tools for doing monophonic stuff...I guess you can use anything.  That said, I found it to be rather easily doable with both PXTone and also with tracker software. 

I would recommend you away from the stuff I did in my thread (which was rather experimental and practicey) and towards the music I did for my compo entry which are a bit more musical (if you download the windows version, the tracker files should be in the XM directory).

I haven't played pokemon g/s/c.  When you say you're going to compose themes, do you mean you're going to try and do monophonic transcriptions?

Anyway, do keep us updated on your progress Smiley

Also: "The 1-bit part of it comes in as I will be only using 1 instrument that plays 1 note at a time for all 8 pieces." <- Isn't technically true...the one-bit thing usually refers to the bitrate; I think with 1-bit music you're essentially restricted to working with square waves of a fixed amplitude, and can only use a limited range of notes.  Don't hold me to that though; I'm not too well versed on issues of bitrate and sound quality.
Biggerfish
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:23:02 AM »

The 1-bit is more of a "catchline" (is that the right word) that I 'borrowed' from that album I linked to. It's more just monophonic music. I plan to make the themes original, I honestly don't recall if the gym leaders bgm are the same in g/s/c or not, but either way, it will be my own take on it.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:44:44 AM »

Also: "The 1-bit part of it comes in as I will be only using 1 instrument that plays 1 note at a time for all 8 pieces." <- Isn't technically true...the one-bit thing usually refers to the bitrate; I think with 1-bit music you're essentially restricted to working with square waves of a fixed amplitude, and can only use a limited range of notes.  Don't hold me to that though; I'm not too well versed on issues of bitrate and sound quality.

Almost exactly correct. 1-bit sound can only ever be on or off, making it a square wave by default, but the pitch of the sound is controlled by the frequency that the wave changes from on to off, and as such can only be limited by the sample rate; the number of times per second that you say what state the wave is in.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »

awesome. i don't know why people hate the Pokemon music, I always loved it.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:52:33 AM »

I also like Pokémon's music! G/S/C had probably the best soundtrack, also. I shall be keeping an ear on this!

Edited for idiotic spelling.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:28:29 PM by Synnah » Logged

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic