Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:18:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCosmic Mechanic
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cosmic Mechanic  (Read 6944 times)
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:31 AM »

Hello!

I'm gimblll (http://twitter.com/gimblll) and since it's been exactly 1 year (according to my SVN log) since I started my current project, I thought I'd post something about it finally.

My game's called Cosmic Mechanic and it's for iPad (at first, other platforms depending on interest). It's about building cool gadjets and vehicles to traverse the various scenarios.

There's no real story present in the game, but the premise is that the protagonist crash lands on a remote planet and must build vehicles out of random scrap material to find a way to get back home through the mysterious portals that are in each levels.

It has 4 gameplay modes in levels. 'Puzzle' is normal "get to the goal"-mode, 'Time' is a time attack, 'Jump' is a mode where you have to get the furthest before hitting ground and 'Collect' is a a mode where there are 100 collectibles sprinkled around the level and you have to go collect them all. Each mode has their own levels (total of about 50).

Story so far:

I've always wanted to do some kind of a construction game ever since I played Bridge Builder ages ago. Eventually through the years the idea kind of solidified on building rocket ships that fly from ground to space. Then about two years ago I built the first prototype in a few months in Flash, but later decided to abandon it for other projects as it didn't really give much promise beyond a few seconds of fun. (And in retrospect I'm glad I didn't pursue that avenue too much, as that has now been done much better by Kerbal Space Program.)

So after finishing a few smaller projects that turned out better, it was time to decide my next project again and I still just couldn't let the idea go. And thus project codename 'Space Engineer' was born! Smiley

This time I tried to forget flying from ground to space, and concentrate just building different space ships in zero gravity. But unfortunately that failed miserably too. I just couldn't find the fun in it, and controlling the vehicles was way too difficult. And if I cheated with the physics to make it feel better, it lost the feeling of space completely and turned into something really confusing. So just on a whim I decided to put gravity on and add wheels, and bang, the game suddenly became fun in a day after few months of despair! It wasn't very "space engineer" any more, but so what, it was a better game.

And that's the game I've been building ever since. Build gadgets and get to the goal. It's been really hard to balance all the ideas I have for the game, and still keeping it in a form that I can actually finish as a solo project with limited time, but I think the set I've ended up with now is pretty good.

It was never supposed to take this long to make this game, but the game this eventually turned into after prototyping kind of required it and it got a bit out of hand. But I'm really happy with what I have right now, so no regrets. Best indie game I've made by far. Smiley

I'd say it's about 90% complete currently. I wanted to make this small devlog so I can see if there's any interest in the game and maybe get some more motivation for the final polish push to get this thing finished already! Smiley

Anyway, there it is.

Screenshots: I hope my coder art doesn't make your eyes bleed Smiley

Time attack mode in progress.

Rocket powered thing breaking up amid chaos.

A desert themed level with slippery ice too.

Here's the screen where you edit your vehicles.

This is the controls edit screen where you can wire up your parts to different buttons and select which direction should motor arms turn, or the the wheels roll, etc. Or you can just leave it at automatic, where the game will setup the controls for you.

Earlier sneak peek images.

http://screenshotsaturday.com/user/gimblll.html

Tech and stats:

All art, code and levels are done by the not so talented me and the sound design is done by my very talented musician brother.

Statistics for version (15. February, 2013)

- 481 commits
- 307 source files (excluding external libs)
- 45035 lines of C++ code (excluding external libs)
- 217 pngs
- 62 sound files
- 89 levels (of which about 50 will be in the final game)

External libs used: Lua, Box2D, JsonCPP, LodePNG, GLEW
Tools used: Visual Studio Express, XCode, Sublime Text 2, Photshop CS5, Wacom Intuos4, Paint.NET, Audacity, TimelineFX, Python+PIL, Cygwin, and some I forget now

Why custom C++ and not Unity or at least Marmelade or something I hear you ask? Well, the best answer I can give you is that I'm a bit stupid that way... Smiley

Altough I'm developing this for iPad, my engine works on PC too (and I mainly develop on a PC) just as well so I might eventually release this on PC too if there's any interest. The controls would need a lot of work though, as it's tailored for touch screen right now.

I also made a custom in-game level editor.

Things still todo: (15. February, 2013)

- graphics for title screen, icon, more effects etc.
- sound design is still unfinished
- lots and lots of testing, I'm pretty sure some of the levels are not very fun right now, but I need more testers and feedback
- improve player learning path (I hate tutorials, so I'm afraid I might slip on the too difficult to figure out territory here, but we'll see how it turns out)
- GameCenter support for iOS (achievements / leaderboards)
- I would love to do some story panels, but I doubt I have time as my drawings take ages to do and it would be a lot of work...
- optimization (I haven't tested it yet on the older iPads, I doubt it runs fast enough )
- bug fixes and lots of little polish items

Things still todo: (27. March, 2013)

Done! Submitted to Apple for review.

Done and in App Store: (3. April, 2013)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id606118389
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:21:49 AM by gimblll » Logged

x70x
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »

Wow, I'm really loving the art style. Looks adorable. I've really enjoyed playing Bad Piggies but I felt like the construction mechanics in that game are too restricted by the grid-style building. These seems much more free-form and reminds me a bit of Incredipede. Would love to help you test the game if it runs on an original iPad.
koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »

The game looks very interesting! I think, the world needs more good construction games Kiss And the whole development story is fun to read )

But I really think that the machine parts need some redesign. Looking at the screenshots, I can't stop thinking about an astronaut kidnapped by a psychopathic woman, who broke his legs and locked in a chicken coop. Now, the astronaut is building a cart to escape, this is his last chance... No No NO Creepy. Maybe, it's just me, though...

EDIT:
I don't know, make the parts more sci-fi looking and shiny (made of metal or plastic), and say that the spaceship crashed on a planet, but there was a construction kit to make vehicles.. So, you use that kit to explore the planet, collect materials, and rebuild your spaceship.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:12:06 PM by koiwai » Logged

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »

Devlog update: Drew title screen today. Turned out ok, I'm not that happy with it but it'll do.

Wow, I'm really loving the art style. Looks adorable. I've really enjoyed playing Bad Piggies but I felt like the construction mechanics in that game are too restricted by the grid-style building. These seems much more free-form and reminds me a bit of Incredipede. Would love to help you test the game if it runs on an original iPad.

Thanks! I don't yet know if I can get it to work on the original iPad, but I'll try to find out soon when I get one on loan from work. I hope I do! I'd be happy to let you test it once I find out if it runs on it.

I was quite depressed when I first saw Bad Piggies trailer come out. Seemed like they had the exact same game, but of course with much higher production values. Fortunately when I played it, I noticed that their approach was quite different in the end. I hope to give the player much more control in how your machine works, whereas Bad Piggies feels a bit hard to figure out what will happen if something is changed. And I hope my levels provide more variety. Bad Piggies seems it's pretty much what Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts had, transformed to 2D and streamlined a lot. And yeah, Incredipede (and Fantastic Contraption) are quite similar too. I found Incredipede quite hard to play and figure out the mechanics (only played the demo), but it's a very interesting game.

But I really think that the machine parts need some redesign. Looking at the screenshots, I can't stop thinking about an astronaut kidnapped by a psychopathic woman, who broke his legs and locked in a chicken coop. Now, the astronaut is building a cart to escape, this is his last chance... No No NO Creepy. Maybe, it's just me, though...

Hehe, maybe that can be the new background story. Smiley I imagine that my little guy has really short feet (as hands too) and is sitting down, so there's not much room needed below it. The chicken coop with the bright colored carpeting is like that on purpose. Smiley I've always loved the idea of a spaceship made out of wood, so it's been wooden from the beginning. The parts are a not that good, I agree, but it's the best I could do and I doubt I'll revisit them anymore. And yeah, I wouldn't like it if it was all sci-fi and shiny. It's supposed to be playful and not so serious. (but still not cartoony or a joke)

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »

Progress since last update:
- Code optimizations, fixed a few stupid cases that took most of the CPU time. Also finally got iPad 1 on loan here so I can see if it runs on it soon.
- Got the first sound drop, the game sounds a bit better now but there's still some work to do.
- Added volume settings to the settings menu.
- Some level select menu work to make it more user friendly.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:47:48 PM »

Wohoo! After a series of optimisations, iPad 1 performance is good. Amusingly the level select menu performs the worst, but I think it's good enough. I had to switch it to use a simplified shader though. The GPU on iPad 1 is really horrible.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 02:02:15 AM »

I've been very busy at work, so not much progress this week.

- Started Game Center integration
- Modified a few levels after tester feedback
- Tweaked goal animations and effects

If there's anyone with an iPad and wants to test this game, I could use a few more testers at this point.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »

Drew an icon for the game.

Also been tweaking the user interface a bit and adding missing particle effects here and there.

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »

I love these kind of games!  Keep up the good work!
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:30:20 AM »

Thanks wccrawford!

Updates since last time:
- Tuned Collect mode levels a lot to make more sense, they were so overly difficult and badly designed that even I couldn't pass them anymore
- Game Center integration is done now
- Pinch zooming to map mode
- More decoration to levels, effects here and there, polish and bug fixes

It's looking pretty good now. A bunch of polish things left to do. I'm mainly waiting for some new sounds and music from my brother and then I'll probably wrap things up pretty fast. I'd say two or three weeks and it's done and submit to Apple time.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 06:55:10 AM »

I've been mostly just tweaking and polishing things. No new features to mention. Just waiting for one more music track and then it's pretty much done.

Today I put together a small gameplay video:

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »

Whoo, go little rocket car!  ...  Ahhhh.

It's looking awesome!

iPad only?  Sadly, I don't have an iPad.  Just an Android tablet.
3leggedegg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »

This game looks quite silly (in a great way)! And I can't wait to play it!  Congrats on the progress so far.  You are in the home stretch, so keep up the good work.
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »

Thanks guys!

Yes it's iPad only for now. I have a PC build too, but it would need work on the controls as the controls rely a lot on having multitouch available. Android port would be a possiblity, my engine is pretty portable, but I don't have the hardware or the money to get one. I'll wait and see how the iPad version does first and then consider if it's worth porting to anything.

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »

This looks really cute and that door teleporter thing animation looks awesome.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:00:51 PM »

Wohoo! It's done! Took a while to get all the sounds in shape, but it's ok now. And it's submitted to Apple for review. If all goes well, it's in the App Store next week!

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »

It's finally in App Store! Yay! Smiley

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id606118389

I also made a new thread for the game to the Announcement section: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32604.0

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic