Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:14:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Thin Silence (formerly Proof) - out now!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: The Thin Silence (formerly Proof) - out now!!!  (Read 50095 times)
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »

Ben is on holidays this week, so there isn't too much I can show you (most of the stuff I am working on is secret Well, hello there!). Here are some of the things we've been doing the past couple of weeks:

New Cutscenes:

New Art:

And Some Sketches so you can see how we think:

They're all linked to larger versions, if that's not very clear. Hopefully, when Ben is back next week, we can show you some of the other stuff we've been working on! We might even have a limited alpha release sometime soon  Waaagh! Who, Me?

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »

Working on some cutscenes  Well, hello there! #SSS

ToyTree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »

Hello! We talked a while ago about music, and I thought I'd just say hi. I know you guys already have that covered, but you mentioned getting in touch when I finished the EP I was working on. Here it is! How have you been? Excuse the redundancy of the email I sent..

toytree.bandcamp.com

Twitter          Homepage          Soundcloud
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »

Wow.  The atmosphere in this is stunning.

Hand Money Left Crazy Hand Money Right
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2014, 03:57:13 AM »

Wow.  The atmosphere in this is stunning.

Hand Money Left Crazy Hand Money Right

You are too kind!

Hello! We talked a while ago about music, and I thought I'd just say hi. I know you guys already have that covered, but you mentioned getting in touch when I finished the EP I was working on. Here it is! How have you been? Excuse the redundancy of the email I sent..

toytree.bandcamp.com

Hey, good to hear you finish it! Those tracks are really good  Hand Metal Left No No NO Hand Metal Right

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:15 PM »

I thought I'd give you a little outline of how we do some of the design and development of the game.

Usually, we start out with a long discussion about what we need to work on next. We try to have an ongoing list of features to implement and things to work on, but we regularly revisit this (not deviating from an overarching plan, because it might not be perfect but you'll waste too much time rethinking it continually). From this we develop a shared vision of a few things: what part of the game we are working on next, what is the environment/setting, what is the mood (and how this is displayed graphically, verbally, through actions etc.), what features are needed (graphics, gameplay, story).

From this we then prototype. For me, this means dot points of ideas, sketches, a checklist or a plan. These don't need to be good, you just need something on paper to prompt you and to solidify your ideas.
A small group of huts

A path along a cliff-face

These pictures often inspire new ideas; items, elements or visuals that would improve this basic sketch:

From here, we can start to design actual assets for the game, which goes on for sometime:

To be continued!

Lastly, I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their continued support and interest! You guys are amazing  Smiley

(we got up to 17th the other day)

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2014, 03:57:41 AM »

Et Voila!

Magic. Wizard This isn't a finished product, but that is a summary of how we make the magic happen. Hope you've enjoyed it!

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »

And the magic continues. We are nailing down the aesthetic for this area slowly:

More soon!  Wink

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2014, 08:52:42 PM »

The background color looks really bad. It looks like something made out of Paint. Maybe add more contrast with the foreground, or make it darker or something?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2014, 09:40:22 PM »

Agree with ImpMaster here, maybe even a slight texture could help? The other assets are looking really nice but they're washed out by the background. Definitely needs a change.
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2014, 04:06:58 AM »

I agree as well. The brown is really overwhelming.

Agree with ImpMaster here, maybe even a slight texture could help? The other assets are looking really nice but they're washed out by the background. Definitely needs a change.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2014, 10:33:35 PM »

Quote from: Everyone
Brown is the worst.

Thanks for the feedback Smiley is something more like this better?

We can try a texture, it is just a bit more difficult. The individuals cliffs are actually single images, over a colour backdrop (very lazy), so it will just take a little tinkering to make it work with texture.

The latter parts of the game (and development) have outstripped the earlier, so we have been revisiting the first area of the game.
Some new assets for the caves area (click for larger versions)

Many  rocks:

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »

I think this looks great, it's going to be big!

I especially like the lighting effects shown on the first page, something that is often forgotten amongst indie composers these days.

Good luck - I am sure it will be great, I will play it.

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »

We have started the last cutscenes!  Waaagh!  This will be a huge step when they are all done. There are currently 3 or 4 short scenes and a couple of longer ones to do, but there is a lot of asset overlap between them, so they are coming together as a group rather than separately.

Character design is hard sometimes though (click to enlarge):

There were some problems with one scene intially:
...but we fixed it.

Here is a static screenshot (click to enlarge):

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2014, 05:20:18 AM »

Just a couple of things for now. We are improving some of the earlier game assets, finishing a couple of cutscenes (secret late game ones though, sorry!) and starting some of the big special levels that will be throughout the game:
Planning new area II assets:

Half-Finished Three Frame Waterfall Animation

And in-game:

Watch this space.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50:48 PM »

We're still here Smiley Here's a little something we've been working on, a new mechanic. These are going to be boulders, wheels and rocks you can kick around. At the moment, they're just circles, or perhaps tiny moons.

Early days:

Almost there...

Here is Gfycat video of the new mechanic (the gif is too big):
http://gfycat.com/FlashyPlumpCavy
Sorry about the breakpoint; there is a bug where the player disappears when kicking in one direction...
You can see the ability to climb the boulders, as well as kicking them.

We have the first seven or so levels planned now, after having to redesign them all. It feels a lot closer to finishing now, although in reality there is still a lot to do...

Uykered
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28:30 AM »

Nice, looking good. Reminds me a little of Mirage.
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2014, 11:58:08 PM »

Nice, looking good. Reminds me a little of Mirage.

Thanks! Yeah its a bit of a similar vibe.

Here is another look at how the boulders interact with each other:

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2014, 06:51:19 AM »

Those lights work beautifully and I adore your small notebook design sketches!

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2014, 02:11:17 AM »

We had a bug-fixing day and there were some big ones! Fortunately, the Left-facing Ghost Player bug that we have been fighting against for a few weeks now has been resolved! (Turns out, we had too many animation frames for the existing spritemap system to deal with... Whoops!) The gif is from halfway through the debugging, when our first solution made things a lot worse... It took a while to even find the player...

Thanks to everyone for their support! We apparently got to rank 45, but I missed it. Its awesome to see people are interested in the game, and the feedback has been really encouraging. You guys are the best!

More to come soon!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:19:21 AM by zigzag » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic