Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 04:00:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLoihe lausumahan (v0.1)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Loihe lausumahan (v0.1)  (Read 3189 times)
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »

Though I wasn't able to finish my 7DRL in time, I'll take it easy and finish it without stressing about the challenge. It has promising gameplay, but still lacks AI, content, an usable GUI and all of those other features that I realized I wasn't going to be able to just half-ass through. I started a bit late and wasn't able to manage my remaining time properly, but I became too attached to it to throw it away.

My goal right from the start was to make something experimental and unique but ultimately interesting to play, with roguelike tropes. I'm not sure if it'll qualify as a roguelike for most people, but it has the sort of danger and depth that will appeal to roguelike fans.

The game revolves around telepathy, spell casting, and psychology. Around the hex-based game board is a "tag cloud" of words which can be taken and combined into spells. The words are generated from creatures' minds and accessible to all creatures. Essentially, it's the combined public space of your egos.

Based on spell components, the ego space can be subdivided into subspaces, psychological defenses that creatures can associate with. Spells in the global space affect all defenses and sub-defenses, but defenses give protection to associated creatures and lifespan to spell components and effects. There is no variable for health in the game, but the telepathically weakest creatures in a space have their psyches destroyed when that space can't provide sufficient spell components for its telepaths. Power is based on a fluctuating hierarchy rather than raw numbers.

Interactions with enemies change their attunement in the cavern, bumping them down in the summon queue, from which the topmost object is summoned to an explored tile. The goal is to survive by manipulating the thoughts of creatures, the telepathic space, and the summon queue until you're able to face the boss.

I'm pretty tired so I think I'll be off to bed now. I'll get you something playable ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:25:19 AM by sublinimal » Logged
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »

...I didn't understand any of that

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:59:13 AM »

I'm a bit confused as to how to read the playfield. Why is the one part of the one hex a reddish color?

Anyways, it does sound interesting.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »

Sublinimal what about finishing one of your games? I get all excited when you announce things but be very disappointed when you don't finish them...
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 02:34:43 AM »

I'm a bit confused as to how to read the playfield. Why is the one part of the one hex a reddish color?

Usability is an issue, it's one of the bigger challenges for me with this project. The special-colored tile is just the cursor, though, as the game is mouse-controlled.

Sublinimal what about finishing one of your games? I get all excited when you announce things but be very disappointed when you don't finish them...

My sporadic release cycle's been bothering me too, which is why I'm working on One Game a Month's schedule this year. For me, it's about releasing once per month, not necessarily about making games within 30 days like most people interpret it. This game's for March, the other projects in my signature are started "early" because I'm trying to be realistic about their scopes and deadlines. (Note that Control Room failed because it wasn't good enough, not because of bad time management.)
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:23:57 AM »

Well, here's the prototype I've got. It has the framework right, and even some promising behaviour, but it's more like a toy than a game right now. A few obvious graphics bugs, and some objects do nothing when interacted with.

I feel sick thinking of having to explain it, but looks like my fingers are already typing.

Quickstart
You're the "@" sign, and always go first; click on the words on the left to make spells, then on a hex to move there and end your turn. The right side of the screen holds spells that creatures have casted. Everything affects the current "head space" that creatures are in (which you can tell by the color-coding; creatures and words in your current space use blinking characters).

A spell beginning with the word "aet" transports the caster into one of those spaces, designated by the second word. If there is none, the caster returns to the global space. If the designated space doesn't exist yet, it's created. This word is common and generated by Crawlers ("k"). The beauty of subspaces is that they're essentially psychological defenses: words inside don't vanish after turns, and you're protected from the butterfly effects of having everything affecting everyone. Remember, you don't target individual creatures in this game (apart from yourself on some occasions), you have to think of enemies as groups.

Beholders ("b") generate "midrikki" that obligates everyone in a space to successfully cast a spell on that turn, otherwise they'll die. Exhausting the word cloud in one's space seals the deal for the next in line.

"Ekson" is created by Angels ("a") and can be used to ban the words specified by it. Thus, it can't be casted individually (that simply skips a turn). When someone casts a spell beginning with a banned word, the spell is discarded - a way to remove words from a space.

"Ison" results when a creature dies. You can think of it as the idea of the creature that still lingers in the cavern's telepathic memory. However, since words in the global space vanish after every turn, the only way to currently use it in your spells is to destroy monsters inside subspaces. It changes the type of the words generated by creatures within a space.

There's also two queues. The left one just shows the order in which creatures act. This is decided during the spell casting phase: the more words one uses in a spell, the later they'll go next turn. The right queue shows what creatures are summoned as the tiles marked with a question mark are explored (the topmost one is next). Bump into enemies to drop them down in the queue. You can do this regardless of whether you're in the same space, as the game board is a distinct location. However, summoned creatures are automatically associated with your current space.

Skip comments with right-click, restart with R. There isn't a win condition yet as the boss is inactive, just play around with things based on the feedback you get.

What's next:
-Needs more content
    -Mainly, more words that allow you to manipulate the flow of the game better
    -Like using their spells against themselves in creative ways
    -Or changing the summon queue by using actual spells, not walking into monsters
-The player shouldn't get special treatment
-Some form of AI, right now everyone just combines spells randomly (which can have fun results, though)
-The words of casted spells should be drawn next to each other
-Code cleanup
-Halibut
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:58:17 AM by sublinimal » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic