Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:37:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopAdventures of JCity's Workshoppin'
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Adventures of JCity's Workshoppin'  (Read 2317 times)
JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »

Hi everyone! Been lurking about Tigsorce for awhile and been reading tons of articles of game design and pixelart to try make myself a game and to get somewhere from there!

At the moment I am trying to make some characters for a small platforming game but I feel that I need some directions how to improve. So here are all my characters I am currently trying to make into pixelart!:

Bigger pic VVV
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71161047/Pictures/Improvement%20trd/castlineart.png

And here is what Ive done so far:

Not much but I am getting there..

Anyways I am trying to use DawnBringers colorpalette since I am not that good at coloring stuff.
But somehow I am unable to make it look right for some reason.
I keep insisting on continuing using the same blue colors all the time. Must be because my first sketch was blue in the first place  Droop

Would be great if I could get some pointers and critique to poke me in the right direction!  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:24:47 AM by JCity » Logged
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »

Really nice work. Your forms read well and good technique overall. I picked a character I liked, and did some color variants. I tried to stick within DB's palette, but I added a few colors as I needed them. Additionally I removed some banding, and did a little clean up here and there.

Some recommended reading: Cure's Pixel Art Tutorial: Chapter V. Creating a Palette

Keep at it!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:59:18 PM by Joshua » Logged

JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:45:49 AM »

Really nice work. Your forms read well and good technique overall. I picked a character I liked, and did some color variants. I tried to stick within DB's palette, but I added a few colors as I needed them. Additionally I removed some banding, and did a little clean up here and there.

Some recommended reading: Cure's Pixel Art Tutorial: Chapter V. Creating a Palette

Keep at it!

Oh these are great! :D I really like the green one. And yea I think I may have to add more colors as I go and use Dawnbringers palette as a base.

Also a small update:

I always seem to find ways to change my maincharacter but I think I am getting to a point where I feel like it's time to animate.
JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »

Trying to animate the maincharacter for the moment. I have been doing animations before but this time the keyframes are abit tricky to add and look good.

EDIT:
Test with "motionblur".

EDIT2:

EDIT3:

I need to stop editing this reply every hour.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:07:03 PM by JCity » Logged
lame joe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »

getting better but the animation is still not very readable. u want the the two points where the legs are furthest apart to be super clear and distinct. try making the twist of the torso more obvious. also bear in mind that the front foot is touching the ground to take the weight of the character after the other foot just propelled them forward i.e. the front foot should touch the ground as the back leg starts to come in and not when the back leg is at its furthest point.

ur sprites have a lot better form that your drawn art. i think u can see in ur sprites also some not very interesting shapes. particularly the white dude in the first pic. he doesnt look very comfortable standing.

keep going yo.
JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »

Ive decided to change the art-direction abit. I am not really happy with the old sprites so I have been experimenting abit and I feel like this looks better than before. Somehow I prefer smaller sprites, I guess because nostalgia. Also the animation is just to compare how it would look if the left eye is visible.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:47:37 PM by JCity » Logged
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »

The smaller sprites actually read a lot better.

JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 07:26:57 AM »

The smaller sprites actually read a lot better.
Thanks!  Smiley
I kinda prefer this style too compared to the old one. I plan to try use the old characters or redesign them abit to make them more interesting.
JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 04:04:31 AM »

Making some animations for the maincharacter since I got tired of her sliding around instead of running in my game. Although I feel like something is off and do not have the same quality as the original sprite...  Concerned

Updated:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:42:22 AM by JCity » Logged
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »

The updated run looks better, the posture of the run is better.
Here's a good article on run animations that might help,
PART1
PART2

JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »

Updated it abit:

Also had to change the skin so it didnt blend into the background in my game.

The updated run looks better, the posture of the run is better.
Here's a good article on run animations that might help,
PART1
PART2

Those links are great! Ive been looking for that kind of article for a long time!  Grin
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 04:12:54 PM »

Great improvement! That updated one looks fantastic

JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 09:29:45 AM »

Small update:

Working on the bandana and animating the hair which I got some trouble with.  Concerned
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 03:57:54 PM »

I love your character designs! Very zelda'ish (Which to me is the glory of character design)
JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »

I love your character designs! Very zelda'ish (Which to me is the glory of character design)
Thanks!  Smiley I am a big fan of the zelda series myself.
I borrowed some inspiration from the style they used in Windwaker since I feel almost all zelda characters in that game have some unique features which makes them memorable.
JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 05:00:41 PM »

Little conceptart of the maincharacter, even though I made her sprite before this picture. Undecided
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic