Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:25:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWitch Princess
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48
Print
Author Topic: Witch Princess  (Read 132689 times)
Conker534
« Reply #920 on: August 14, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »

Haha I don't think anyone would benefit from the source to this game, its such a mess..

I might sell the game after all, but I really don't know and I'm not really concerned with that idea. Perhaps when its all done I may think its worth something, but as of now its my first game and I don't know if I can be okay with charging people for my learning experience.

I guess it just depends on if I think it'll be cool enough.

Also I haven't really worked on it, as I've been really working on my art skills lately but Witch Princess no where near dead. I will complete it eventually. I will probably make more games after too. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:35:45 PM by Conker » Logged
qwertyhim513
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 14, 2014, 03:58:12 PM »

I've been quietly examining this project for a while, but your last comment was beautiful Cry .A dilemma you have there. If you worry about charging it, you could always have two versions. Maybe have the paid version that maybe has I don't know, a pet chicken little, to reward those who wish to support your project, while having a free version so others can experience it and maybe spread the word.Just my cup of tea dear sir. Coffee
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 15, 2014, 08:18:24 AM »

I might sell the game after all, but I really don't know and I'm not really concerned with that idea. Perhaps when its all done I may think its worth something, but as of now its my first game and I don't know if I can be okay with charging people for my learning experience.
Fez is Fish first game. he learn stuff by making Fez, and went on making 2(3?) other game while working on Fez. Fez might not be his 1st released game, but it's the first to start.
Gunpoint is Tom Francis first.

edit:
i'm not saying that they make the game without prior experience with it, but you know, just sayin.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 15, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »

Learn to charge people is also a learning experience (i don't have it) sell it to learn!

mike_w
Level 0

Hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #924 on: August 15, 2014, 08:49:26 AM »

Haha I don't think anyone would benefit from the source to this game, its such a mess..

I guess it just depends on if I think it'll be cool enough.

Also I haven't really worked on it, as I've been really working on my art skills lately but Witch Princess no where near dead. I will complete it eventually. I will probably make more games after too. Smiley

Every single game from a triple-A game with a multi-million dollar budget to yours to the crappy pong clone I wrote like 10 years ago was a learning experience. By making stuff you learn things. The most difficult thing about making a game is finishing it, and I think any game that's been finished by someone is worth charging for. Even if it's only a buck, but also it's probably worth way more. Don't sell yourself short!

Conker534
« Reply #925 on: August 15, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

Hm, maybe you're all onto something. Thanks everyone. Tongue
Conker534
« Reply #926 on: September 23, 2014, 08:31:10 AM »

honestly its been a long time since i started this project and i haven't gotten anywhere with it.

i dont want to say its dead, but im officially not working on it for now. its quite a mess to work with. for example i didn't learn about scripts in game maker until i was deep into development, and my inventory system was over 300 lines of code or something.

i haven't made a game in so long because of this burden, and thats what it is right now. i know for a fact i will come back to this game but i dont really know when, its kinda a childhood dream for me to make a harvest moon like.

i'm sorry if i let anyone down but i want to make games again, and i can't do it anymore with witch princess. one day witch princess will be completed but today is not this day.

thank you so much for the support! you're posts kept me going this far, and i learned so much from this project. hopefully you will enjoy my new projects, which will hopefully be smaller and more focuses around one mechanic, not 5 or something lol..

thank you everyone!
danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #927 on: September 23, 2014, 09:18:54 AM »

You know your limits and it sounds like you have a good plan. I haven't been following development but it is clear you've put a lot of work into this. I hope you achieve the level of programming you need to tackle Witch Princess again.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #928 on: September 23, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »

Hope you find something you can work with effectively - I know GM's language is rather primitive and, from what I remember, awkward, even if you get a grasp on it. You might want to look into something more friendly, like Lua + Love2D, MonkeyX, Python + PyGame/PySDL2/PySFML/Pyglet, or even ActionScript and Flixel/FlashPunk.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: September 23, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »

It sounds like this game is really holding you back. Maybe just drop it and work on something fun again. Smiley

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: September 23, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »

aww man, i know the feeling of dropping something that has been in dev for a long time, though mine is no longer than yours.

lets look forward for your next project i say. (make a harvest moon-like short arcade game  Well, hello there!)

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #931 on: September 23, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »

ITERATE! Take what you've learned, refine it. Redesign it - see where you can cut fat out and keep it punchy. Believe me, I know the pain.

Go PLAY some Harvest Moon. Really scrap it down and find what elements of the game you find REALLY appealing, and focus on that part without all of the extraneous grind tacked on. Maybe it's the interpersonal elements? Maybe it's the space management? Really find how to mainstream this project, and go with that.

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #932 on: September 23, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »

Maybe you could try removing all the parts that don't interest you one bit. Take some time to re-imagine the game without those parts influencing your thoughts, and then adapt it with your new ideas. Sometimes you just have to discover something new and interesting about it that you didn't notice before because things were preventing you from seeing them.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #933 on: October 02, 2014, 03:08:59 AM »

Ah sorry to hear this :/ Good luck man!

Also 300 lines for an inventory system is nothing honestly Smiley

ink.inc
« Reply #934 on: October 14, 2014, 10:00:38 PM »

rip
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 17, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »

Enjoy doing other things Conker! I'm sure you learned A LOT from this project!
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #936 on: October 26, 2014, 04:23:52 AM »

did conkur delete his acc? how will i follow his new gams?

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #937 on: November 25, 2014, 07:12:24 AM »

Yeah looks like he deleted his account and is only on twitter now https://twitter.com/Conker534/

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #938 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »

Sad. This thread makes me sad. I am sad.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Donutttt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 25, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »

Just found this log, real shame to see that it's not in development anymore. Harvest Moon was a favourite of mine. I've been working on a game for the last few months which is also inspired by Harvest Moon. In my game though there is less focus on story and characters, more focus on farming, weather, and plant dynamics. I plan to do a devlog for it when it's presentable, maybe people will be interested.

Maybe this will get picked up again, I'm interested to see how it progresses.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic