Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 01:33:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Heli Land
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Heli Land  (Read 17642 times)
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »

Do you remember flying/underwater (submarine) shmup levels of Super Mario Land? Do you miss them? Well, me too!

That's why I've decided to make Super Heli Land. It is being written using Allegro.pas, which is Pascal binding of popular Allegro programming library.

Currently undergoing heavy development will feature:
- Highscores (with five slots available)
- Infinite gameplay (that's why it has Heli in its name - this derives from all infinite helicopter games you can find on the web)
- Setting custom seed for world generation (for use e.g. in competitions in order to take world generation out of equation and retain only pure skill)
- Ability to reskin game (using Allegro data files - planned for 1.1, initial release won't have this option)
- Three difficulty modes: Baby Mario (Super easy, with three hitpoints - fireflower descends to shroom which descends to small mario) Marine Pop (Easy, 5 lives instead of usual 3) and Sky Pop (Hard) - each of it features AI mechanics of appropriate SML level except Baby Mario as Baby Mario doesn't star in SML. Planned for 1.1

Most of backend engine stuff is done, only things left are sound/music engine, then I will be able to implement fun stuff, game logic and AI that is.

If I won't pop onto any unexpected obstacle, I may be able to do actual build by the end of next week, maybe in a month.

You can follow current progress in following thread (more often updated than here, here I'll only push updates if something major happens, like release of game or fixing particularly nasty bug): http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?21334-Super-Heli-Land and on my online To Do list.

Following image was taken in-engine:
[img=http://i.imgur.com/N3ue4rh.png]http://It has example of chunk generated by engine.
At top-left there is shown how game "sees" chunk.
Blue pixels represent destructible blocks (not shown here as they need to be generated as separate sprites, chunk consist of two big pixel-perfectly collided sprites - one that won't harm player unless it will squish him and other for spikes which harms player).
Red pixels represent spikes.
Brown pixels represent ground and green ones represents indestructible blocks that aren't ground. I may add later on random lines of indestructible blocks with spikes on top of it to make things more interesting.

That number thing on top has no meaning - it is just test of animated sprites (spoiler: they do work).

Update: Options menu is half-done (still need bindings screen):
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:23:47 AM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:09:33 AM »

Come on, so many views and no one has anything to say about it?

Be a computer virus!

Yakyb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:40:07 AM »

60% complete?
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »

Yeah. Most of engine is done (which was 50%) and I've already started to implement game logic, namely Main Menu (first screenshot) and now I'm working on Options menu.

When it'll be done, it'll add 20% to counter - rest would be implementing actual game, i.e. AI and player control (world generation is already done).

Then it'll be 90% - remaining ten percents will be for code cleanup as I intend to release full source code of the game (though there still be probably some WTF code here to laugh on as it is my first real game, i.e. without any engine or game making software).

After completion I'll work on 1.1 which would contain all features marked as planned for 1.1.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:37:01 AM »

OK, here's the thing: Most of Options menu is finished. I will have to tweak few things yet and will be able to finally start on actual levels.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »

Updated, see OP.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »

Newsflash: I've decided that I won't implement binding changing just yet. Why? Because I want to have something playable this Sunday and making binding changing would remove necessary time to do actual gameplay (well, some of it - first public version, which I'll call SHL 0.85 won't have AI-controlled enemies).

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 03:33:50 AM »

I've finally broken up my laziness and started to work again on it. Started TGameState class, but then caught up in engine work (I can't believe I didn't implement TGameObject class! I also need to implement some list classes).

So I probably won't be able to do proper release on Sunday (there WILL be build released, but it would feature only menus Sad).

Anyway, I really cannot believe that no one is responding to this topic... I feel lonely. Is it really that no one has to say anything about this game? There were so many views and just one person replied...  Cry

Be a computer virus!

ericswheeler
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 07:34:16 AM »

I'm guessing the lack of replies correlates directly with the lack of screenshots Smiley In-game screenshots, not menu screenshots.

I also think that you're wildly overestimating your % complete. If you haven't gotten far into AI or 'game logic' stuff yet, your engine is not complete--you will quickly discover lots of things that are missing from your engine as you try to actually use it for practical purposes.

Good luck!

Super Obelisk creator! Follow me at https://twitter.com/ericswheeler
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »

Aaaaand SHL has now public Github repo: https://github.com/darkhog/SuperHeliLand! You are free to browse my TheDailyWTF-worthy code (though I'm trying to keep it clean) to your heart's content and you can even help me!

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »

Base class for game objects, TGameObject is practically done and all I need to do is to test if it works as intended, then will do descendent classes such as TPlayer and TEnemy.

Remember that you can track changes to SHL in public GitHub repository: https://github.com/darkhog/SuperHeliLand! License is "do whatever you want with code unless you want to use it in commercial project, then contact me".

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »

Some nice folks on Pascal Game Development forums spotted very serious bug that could corrupt memory. You should try using Pascal for your game dev projects, it's really fun to use!

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »

I've posted a post on my blog about my learnings from developing of this little gem. Go check it out. Now.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:11 AM »

Ok, game objects are done. There's bug that causes crash when two GOs collide, but it's being worked on.

Hopefully I'll be able to start implementing actual gameplay by next week.

Be a computer virus!

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »

Pics or it didn't happen.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »

I prefer to show only finished stuff like title screen or options menu.

And for debug room, well it's nothing interesting really. Only two Mario sprites moving around and when they collide game crashes (I am much closer to fixing that though) and DEBUG text in a corner.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »

Hah, didn't update this for quite a while, did I? Well, I have some trouble getting rid of that freaking segfault, but thanks to nice folks at PGD forums, maybe it'll be resolved soonish.

This project is certainly not cancelled and will be finished, at any and all cost. I am so determined to do this.

Be a computer virus!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic