Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 01:50:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)[POLL] What C++/C IDE are you using? [WINDOWS]
Poll
Question: What C++ IDE are you using?
Visual Studio C++ 2012/2013 - 31 (36.9%)
Visual Studio C++ 2010 - 16 (19%)
Older Visual Studio C++ - 7 (8.3%)
NetBeans - 1 (1.2%)
Code::Blocks - 8 (9.5%)
Eclipse with CDT - 4 (4.8%)
Dev-C++ - 0 (0%)
Text Editor + command line - 9 (10.7%)
QtCreator - 5 (6%)
Something else - 3 (3.6%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [POLL] What C++/C IDE are you using? [WINDOWS]  (Read 4685 times)
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:56:47 AM »

Hey there.

I thought that it might be a nice idea to gather such data. Here goes the poll.

( I need it for personal-statistics, I hope nobody sees that inappropriate )

This poll contains only IDEs that are able to run on windows, but if you are using one of these and are on Mac/Linux, don't hesitate to vote, too. (If you would keep on using the same IDE on Windows  Tongue)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:17:41 AM by kamac » Logged

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:38:18 AM »

maybe should be a checkbox thingy. For school and work I have to use Eclipse, Netbeans, KDevelop, Sublime Text2, and QtCreator.

Personally if given the choice and it being a viable option I'll always go with Visual Studio . I'll go with Sublime Text if it's a language that doesn't benefit as much from an IDE (say web development or scripting).

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:09:38 AM »

So lacking Xcode lol

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:14:03 AM »

maybe should be a checkbox thingy. For school and work I have to use Eclipse, Netbeans, KDevelop, Sublime Text2, and QtCreator.

Personally if given the choice and it being a viable option I'll always go with Visual Studio . I'll go with Sublime Text if it's a language that doesn't benefit as much from an IDE (say web development or scripting).

I would just like people to check what they like using the most.

So lacking Xcode lol

I thought Xcode doesn't run on windows?
This poll contains only IDEs that are able to run on windows

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:55 AM »

Started with Borland, moved to Dev-C++ (which was cool didn't have the crappy, buggy feel of Borland). Then my professor got me to use Visual Studio.

Now I just use Notepad++ or Sublime Text because that's what the cool kids in college used.

(ok, not exactly C++, but C is close enough)

I don't see why people would use Eclipse for C++, unless you're coding something huge. The overhead of learning it and blood pressure spikes isn't worth the time saved, unless you're messing with coding an OS or something.
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:22:43 AM »

So lacking Xcode lol

I thought Xcode doesn't run on windows?
This poll contains only IDEs that are able to run on windows
So much fail in reading comprehension, I blame early AM and lack of caffeine... Sorry Smiley

Anyways VS is the only worthy Windows IDE.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:51:08 AM »

I would just like people to check what they like using the most.

oh the title of the thread said "what are you using". I use eclipse but I dont like it at all.

Also of course, you aren't cool if you dont use Sublime Text. It's the fedora of coding environments.

Thomas Hiatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »

I use Sublime Text for writing code and I compile it with G++.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:24:21 PM »

VS2012, recently tried vs2013 for my game project because I desesperatly needed variadic templates to simplify a lot the code and usage of several constructs. I was pleased with the switch that was smoother than I thought.

However I would love to use clang on all platforms, with VS on windows.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 01:01:22 PM »

I use VS2010 for C++, mainly because I use its VB.NET/C# version at work so it's an environment I'm used to.  I have also used Eclipse and Netbeans although only for Java - since I don't like them that much compared to VS I've not actually tried using them for C++.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »

I use OSX as my main OS but I had to install Parallels to build C++ apps in Visual Studio, it is just *that* better.
XCode really doesn't come close, and VS2013 manages to be significantly better than VS2012 that was already the best one, and finally has semi-full C++11 support.

I second that the best would be to use clang+LLVM on VS, though... MSVC isn't the strong point of VS, I'm basically using it only because with Visual Assist X it's the only IDE that actually feels like they made it to help you make something instead of to inflict you a subtle but cruel sadic torture.
I used Eclipse today, whyyyyyyyy

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »

Vim, if that counts.

What would John Carmack do?
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:26:44 PM »

For the people wanting Clang with Visual Studio the LLVM project recently released an alpha
http://blog.llvm.org/2013/09/a-path-forward-for-llvm-toolchain-on.html
agoacher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 02:02:07 AM »

I use VS2012 at work for .Net development and Mono stuff (I love that I can do android and iOS from Visual Studio now :D ).

My boss and I are both working on small graphics engines in c++ as a bit of fun and he's using Visual Studio 2013 because it apparently has nicer support for C++/11.  I use eclipse because I am writing NDK stuff and I want to try and break away from Visual Studio for a bit to see if I can learn more without all the bells and whistles I rely on day to day.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 04:41:05 AM »

For the people wanting Clang with Visual Studio the LLVM project recently released an alpha
http://blog.llvm.org/2013/09/a-path-forward-for-llvm-toolchain-on.html

Yeah I installed it but it don't seem to work well with everything in VS.

Kekskiller
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 04:47:32 AM »

Gedit + drop-down console on Linux. It's just great to press F1 for a terminal overlay, UP for the last command and ENTER to confirm it. More like a mode switch, very nice to handle. And if I need multiple instances/outputs I just use Terminator.
kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 05:59:25 AM »

By the way, since this topic was touched - what are the main adventages of using clang which produces LLVM code (right?), over gcc / g++?

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 06:14:56 AM »

1. Build time (some recent tests I've read talk again about 2x faster than gcc)
2. It's implementing C++ features faster than GCC (even if GCC implementation speed went very high since clang became popular) - few days ago they reached full implementation of C++14 that should be finally voted only next year (this very week they are fixing details).
3. Error reporting : gcc added better error reporting when clang was first release to match it, but clang/llvm continue adding tools to check other kind of errors, while gcc don't get as fast;
4. Debugger: apparently their debugger lldb is far better than gdb, even if it's not totally stable if I'm correct;
5. Static Analysis: provided with in clang/llvm suite.

On more technical side, it seems that Clang produce code similar to GCC but sometime better in some cases, so it depends really on the code you have. However Clang is built in a way that makes devs makes it better quickly, so it's basically a bet on the tool that gets faster to the ideal features more than anything else. Long term bet.

Also, for some people/companies, gcc's license is quite bothering.

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »

Then if it's this superior, why MSVC doesn't come with it, instead of it's own compiler? And why I don't hear about people using clang in favor of gcc/mingw? WTF

Kekskiller
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »

Well, it's widespread and you get can it everywhere in whatever combination. And MSVC is simply something M$ can screw on it's own - no depencies, no stuff they don't have to care about. On thing less to worry on their way to "acquired taste". They don't really care for what's best, they care about what they want to serve. Superiosity isn't always a part of this.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic