Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:05:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDUCK GAME! Ridiculously Fast Platformer Deathmatch™
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DUCK GAME! Ridiculously Fast Platformer Deathmatch™  (Read 7554 times)
superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »

Now that the trailer is out, I'm FINALLY allowed to talk about the game I've been working on for the past year! Duck Game is a 2-4 player deathmatch game with fast twitch gameplay and a huge arsenal of weird weapons.

How does it work?
All kills are one shot kills, if you so much as meet the same pixel as a bullet, you're out of the match. Every weapon is different, and some have very specific use cases. It's a bad idea to pick up a weapon you've never used in the heat of battle, as every weapon has quirks and you're likely to mess up under pressure. Most weapons cannot be reloaded, and ones that can take some time to reload.

Some weapons are pretty basic.

Basic Projectile Weapons

Pistol, Medium range weapon, fairly good bullet travel velocity. You get 9 bullets, and no weirdness.

Then we move into weapons with a bit of a trick to them. The magnum, fairly long range, really fast bullet travel. The perk is that magnum bullets will pierce weak materials, like wood crates and doors. The problem, is the magnum has a lot of vertical kick, so if you try shooting it rapidly, you're bound to shoot the ceiling instead of your target. Also, only 6 bullets to play with.

On the other hand, weapons can operate very differently from the pistol or the magnum.

Fire Weapons

If you don't know how to use them, fire weapons are bad news. Fire sticks to things, it spreads quickly, and makes ducks freak out and run around. They vary quite a bit in how they're used, ranging from lighting things with matches, to lighting a roman candle and hucking it blindly. You have a moment after you're lit to try and light your opponent on fire. Fires can be put out with a fire extinguisher, but really who just carries one of those around.

Melee Weapons

Swords are a great way to end things quickly, up close and personal. A normal swing gets the head, or you can get down for a block or a jab. You can even block bullets, so it's not such a bad choice in a gun fight. It takes a bit to knock off pieces of armour, so a fully armoured duck with a sword is a force to be reckoned with.

The Rest

The mind control ray. The waves travel quite slowly, and the ray has very low range. If you manage to hit someone, you can take control of them for a short period of time. This is great if you're close to something to kill them with, or playing a 2 player match. What's not so great, is you can't move while mind controlling, so you're left vulnerable.

The chaingun. One hell of a heavy gun, really hard to lug around. It's slow, it takes time to spin up, and the range is only decent. But, you get a hundred bullets, so you're not going to run out of ammo. Pair it up with a jetpack and move forward like a wall of death.

Giant Death Ray. Damn, does it ever take a long time to charge up, so make sure your opponent is ready to patiently wait in its path. When it does fire though, it unleashes an inescapable beam of death two ducks tall, across the entire screen. Pretty hard to dodge if you're not paying attention.

Plus, dozens more weapons that will not be mentioned here, but may be mentioned later on in the dev log!

When Is It Coming Out?
The initial release will be in April, but I will be working to add new content pretty often after that date!

What Am I Working On Adding?

Before release in April, I want a few new weapons, a dozen new levels, and a ton of polish. After release, I'd like to release more features. The game is local multiplayer only right now, but I would love to add single player challenges and story missions if I can. Also, online multi player would be hella awesome and I'm working on systems to support it.

And, if you don't want to watch the trailer:
An Action Shot

Pardon the hat glitching through the floor :/

Huge GIF of an entire round
http://www.wonthelp.info/wholeround.gif

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:58:22 PM by superjoebob » Logged
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »

Looks fantastic! I'm not usually a fan of this kind of local multiplayer game but I really like the look of this. I also enjoyed the term "two ducks tall" and the use of "a duck" as a unit of measurement.

superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »

Thanks dude! Duck is a standard unit of measurement, equalling approximately 1.5 crates!

Going to start posting weapon bios here, lets start with something simple:

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 06:29:18 PM »

It looks like you're setting the camera based on the center of mass, is that right? How are you working the camera to make sure and have all ducks in it?

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »

I've always dreamed of being a duck and killing other ducks. Also, I love the art and the SSB style arenas.

superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:21:33 PM »

The calculation for the camera doesn't actually use the average of all duck positions. What it does, is cycle through the ducks, and create a rectangle that surrounds them all. Then, it's adjusted to make sure that the edges are within the level boundaries, and a border is added to make sure ducks don't get too close to the edge. Then the current camera size and location is interpolated to match. It gets the job done, but I'd like to tweak it to better account for fast movements.

@Thomas Finch
Thanks! Ethereal looks great btw, the art is beautiful. I hope to draw like that one day Smiley
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »

You could make the camera instead focus on the spot center between all ducks maybe. Your current way looks good too though. Also, thank you! Smiley

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »

Cool thanks

Praterade
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »

Man this looks so good, everything about this really appeals to me for some reason haha. This going to be ouya only? Any plans for destructible terrain on the maps?

superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 04:48:12 AM »

I want to make it available on other platforms, but it's going to be OUYA exclusive for a while. As for destructable terrain, I had shooting holes in walls working but it adds a lot of complexity to game play, and would take a lot of work to make elegant. So probably not!

Also
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:51 AM »

looks awesome! kinda reminds me of outfoxies a little bit... you should take a look at that, it handles changing levels and destructible terrain really well.

also, WOO LOCAL MULTIPLAYER!

YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:00:12 AM »

Having watched updates on Twitter, looks great! Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Seems like exactly right kind of game for OUYA, smart of them if they approached you about it.
Keep it up!

superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »

@jonbro Certainly going to play outfoxies, haven't seen it before but it looks right up my alley! Also HELL YEAH LOCAL MULTIPLAYER! Not nearly enough local multiplayer in existence, its a real shame.

@Yellow thanks for the kind words dude, really excited about playing Spelunky online :D

Update land, more gun infos!

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »

Looking good! I like the camera movement! Just a sidenote... about the death animation, try this: Maybe make an animation frame for the cadavers being airborne?! Could look cool, like having them more like a ball while they are still falling and then switch to the final 'dead' frame when they touch the floor. Might look cool. Peace!

superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »

That's an awesome idea, I'm gonna try something like that!
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »

Net gun offers some cool options too, you might net someone up, someone then kills you and throws netted duck to their doom for the kill. Nice work, awesome Ideas in this game.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 02:48:49 AM »

Thanks knifeySpoonie! Getting killed with the net gun hurts, it's a slow painful death to have to watch someone toss you down Tongue

ALSO!! If any of you are at GDC, Duck Game is gonna be on the TV's at the OUYA booth today, 10-2, and tomorrow all day! So if you're around and have a sec, it would be awesome to play a game of it with you.
superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 05:52:30 PM »

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic