Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:54:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHIRO'S ESCAPE: Devolver, Big Indie Pitch 1st place!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: HIRO'S ESCAPE: Devolver, Big Indie Pitch 1st place!  (Read 6365 times)
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »

Help Hiro sneak past Yamana clan soldiers and reunite with his scattered family!

PLAY DEMO: Hiro's Escape on itch.io

hirosescape.com

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Hiro's Escape is a stealthy, Gameboy-like about a Japanese refugee whose family is scattered by the Yamana Clan during the Onin War in feudal Japan. Help Hiro safely move through each level by taking calculated risks to manipulate enemies and the environment. Get ready for close calls, narrow escapes, unintended solutions, and unexpected danger...

I started work on this game back in 2016 for GBJAM5 with Logan Hayes. We never finished it but I kept tinkering on it on early mornings and on my train ride into work and school each day. Lot's of starts and stops but I think the core gameplay concepts are really starting to come together and I have a clear path to finishing it. All the art, code, music, and SFX are made by yours truly  Gomez

The game is being developed in Gamemaker Studio 2 and release is planned for 2022 on Steam (PC/Mac).

Twitter

Discord
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:37:01 AM by NinthPower » Logged

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 02:07:54 PM »

Looks neat! I think you could get an extra bit of visual polish by rendering to a fixed resolution canvas before upscaling. In a lot of those screenshots, I can see pixel-sized squares moving in subpixel increments. If you make sure everything stays in a strict pixel grid, it'll look great. I'm pretty sure there's a facility for this in Game Maker, but I'm not super familiar with it.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »

Looks neat!

Thanks!

I think you could get an extra bit of visual polish by rendering to a fixed resolution canvas before upscaling. In a lot of those screenshots, I can see pixel-sized squares moving in subpixel increments. If you make sure everything stays in a strict pixel grid, it'll look great. I'm pretty sure there's a facility for this in Game Maker, but I'm not super familiar with it.

I'll check it out!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:32:35 PM by NinthPower » Logged

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 08:05:54 AM »

I like the overall aspect of the game, gog luck
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 07:05:50 PM »

Thanks, appreciate it!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 07:37:18 PM »

Been thinking these old trees need a little change. Yes? No? I'm terrible at environmental stuff...

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 08:24:38 PM »

The one on the far right is definitely a step in the right direction, I feel. How about if you made a clump of leaves on top of the tree using the highlight you've got up there?

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 03:19:40 PM »

This GIF is kind of emotional for me:

I was not born an artist. I am not one of those kids who was making drawings in the corner of their school assignments or anything. It's been a long time for me to understand how to make animations feel not weird... But I've worked hard, taken advice from great artists, and I really feel good about standing behind every one of these!

357 frames of hard work  Cry

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »

Absolutely what I envisioned for grass that reacts to you... Cheesy

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »

Been trying to think of more interesting ideas with this box breaking mechanic:

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 03:16:48 PM »

I was not born an artist. I am not one of those kids who was making drawings in the corner of their school assignments or anything. It's been a long time for me to understand how to make animations feel not weird... But I've worked hard, taken advice from great artists, and I really feel good about standing behind every one of these!

357 frames of hard work  Cry

Just wanting to say that your animations look really great!
I'm at the very beginning and can only hope to get close to this sometime in the future. In that low resolution and with only few colors you manage to transport a lot of expression. Smiley

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 07:16:45 PM »

Thanks a ton! It wasn't always this way, but I've tried my best to keep learning and improving.  Gomez

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 07:28:39 PM »

Good for you, your hard work has really paid off Smiley

Looking good!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »

UPDATE:

I've been working hard on getting the demo ready and wanted to share some music. I've tried to stay true to Japanese music by using traditional (virtual) instruments and scales.

Captain Yama's Theme: https://drive.google.com/open?id=109_6wm5idOtjMI4V-NSTqA9wXCrArV6W
Intro Theme: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ArtohM8Fx_eZRtcmNIDMmUZRFM7s9fwg

The demo will be available on May 13 on Steam and itch.io

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 03:53:00 AM »

It looks great. I love the details like the falling leaves of the bush.

The music tracks are cool. Looking forward to the demo.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 05:55:03 PM »

Thanks! I can't wait to get the demo out the door so I can finally work on nEw CoNtEnT ~=\  Gomez

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 02:33:18 AM »

This looks great! Also nice that you share gifs of bugs (like the grass one)

One bit of feedback: in the first gif where you show them it somewhat breaks immersion for me that there are enemies that shoot but never move or look around. In later gifs they stand behind a little fence. Somehow that makes it a lot more acceptable narratively - they're walled in for their protection, but that also means they're stuck.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 03:07:25 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 03:05:07 AM »

This looks great! Also nice that you share gifs of bugs (like the grass one)

One bit of feedback: in the first give you show them it somewhat breaks immersion for me that there are enemies that shoot but never move or look around. In later gifs they stand behind a little fence. Somehow that makes it a lot more acceptable narratively - they're walled in for their protection, but that also means they're stuck.

That "give" took me a while to understand. ^^

Maybe they are lazy and aren't paid enough to walk around. Smiley
But... yeah, the guy with the crossbow seems to be waiting in an ambush for someone to roll by and shoot his arrow and then goes "Ah, well. Better luck next time."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:29:36 AM by RealScaniX » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 03:08:16 AM »

Argh, fixed. Thanks!
tinybits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 05:41:46 AM »

The music is super cool.I hope you do not mind me downloading it. Great progress. Looking forward for the demo.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic