Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:49:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678600 times)
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4000 on: February 18, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »

The easiest way to learn what radians are is to just look at a few examples next to the constant Tau.
I try to avoid ever notating radians in flat numbers because that doesn't say much, it's much easier to see when you put Tau next to it.

Tau = 2*Pi

Half a circle: Tau * 0.5
Quarter of a circle: Tau * 0.25
One tenth of a circle: Tau * 0.1

It's much easier to work with than a 0-360 range.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: February 19, 2015, 12:29:16 AM »

It's theoretically simpler but most of us are so used to degrees that we can do it in our sleep anyway. To me, they're equally easy. I prefer degrees, tho – probably because I learned those first, and no better reason than that. I use pure radians on rare occasions when I do certain sine wave stuff.

Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4002 on: February 19, 2015, 03:24:22 AM »

Previously my game engine would use a Dictionary lookup to find an IVertexRenderer to call to render vertices. Each IVertexRenderer would have GL.VertexAttribPointer calls hardcoded.

Now, my game engine instead uses reflection to detect the attributes of a vertex type and automatically builds up a GL.VertexAttribPointer call.

The changes are still really early and dirty and there's a lot it can't do yet but I'm really pleased with the fact that I can now just throw in any vertex type I want without effort.
deathbeam
Level 0

Master Devil Cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4003 on: February 19, 2015, 11:31:07 AM »

After long time I figured out how to handle multi-threading in Mozilla Rhino (JavaScript implementation in Java). I am soo happy that I can use networking finally Smiley
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: February 21, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »

I made quarters of a circle graphic cycle on the screen!!!

Hand Any KeyBig LaffHand Any Key

Translation: I got basic animations working in my entity-component system, as well as basic linking of said animation to its appropriate entity. Its been great getting things hammered out and flowing nicely, and I'm pleased to say that my basecode (for #1GAM and future endeavors) is getting in shape. I may even have something usable for April's Ludum Dare if I participate.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: February 21, 2015, 07:50:34 PM »

I just discovered that glVertexAttribPointer() has been replaced with a better API since OpenGL 4.3.  Along with glBindVertexBuffers(), introduced in OpenGL 4.4, I can implement a data-oriented renderer in a much more direct and simple way.

Basically, before this new API, even if you had a ton of objects with the same vertex/instance format but different buffers, you'd need to have a VAO for each buffer combination.  Now you can use a single VAO, set up the vertex/instance format once, and only use one call to bind the buffers for each object.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: February 22, 2015, 05:32:44 AM »

and then you realise the amount of people with drivers and hardware incompatible with 4.X
Abnormal Ape
Level 0

Monkey Business

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4007 on: February 22, 2015, 08:15:09 AM »

I have written "hello world" for the first time in my life about a month ago, after deciding giving creating my dream game a shot. It's all the fun I've hoped for, and more. I'm basically spending my days thinking "what would be fun?" which has to be one of the most awesome things to do, period. Programming truly is magic; I say it and it is so (pending proper syntax and spelling lol).
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: February 22, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »

and then you realise the amount of people with drivers and hardware incompatible with 4.X

Eh, I suspect that by the time I actually release a game hardware adoption will have caught up.  Even then, it's not like I can't make compatibility branches since checking if a feature is supported is incredibly easy with GLEW.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4009 on: February 22, 2015, 07:44:48 PM »

I've been programming something for the last few hours. Suddenly I encounter some major bugs, and then, after a couple of minutes of working on something completely unrelated, the bugs are fixed and everything works perfectly.
Kinda scared, honestly.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: February 23, 2015, 02:19:56 AM »

The best part is when a clean fixes everything because some object files have gotten kind of incompatible but still not enough for the program not to compile and run. Then it crashes.

I had an interesting case the other day, where adding two member variables – and not even using them for anything beyond setting their values in the constuctor – to a class made my submarine game crash when turning on the light.

The problem was related to accessing the Box2D world instance for raycasting, giving me a segmentation fault. As I had inserted the two variables before the one holding this world instance, the RAM position of which relative to the other members thus would have moved. But it seems not enough recompilation happened in order to notify other parts of the code accessing this class of this, so that they were trying to access the world variable in a position now occupied by other variables and so crashing. Cleaning the project and recompiling everything again did the trick.

I suppose this is more of a grumpy programmer post, but yeah, it was a reply to the above post~

It's the "restart your computer/device" solution of programming.

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4011 on: February 23, 2015, 02:41:44 AM »

yesterday i found my harddrive again that contained 2 years of work, I worked almost every evening on my engine.
Kinda got depressed that I lost it. But REJOICE! I found it again. i'll be making more backups now.

So yea, so happy!

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: February 23, 2015, 08:09:06 AM »

yesterday i found my harddrive again that contained 2 years of work, I worked almost every evening on my engine.
Kinda got depressed that I lost it. But REJOICE! I found it again. i'll be making more backups now.

So yea, so happy!

So not only did you get your work back, you ended up with an extra hard drive. That has got to be a higher power telling you to backup! Smiley
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4013 on: February 23, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »

So yea, so happy!

So not only did you get your work back, you ended up with an extra hard drive. That has got to be a higher power telling you to backup! Smiley

Well that basicly was the reason why i bought the harddrive in the first place. I misplace so mutch xD I'm gonna glue it to my desk!

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4014 on: February 23, 2015, 11:23:45 PM »

I just repurposed some old collision code from a scrapped game project, translated it from 2D to 3D, simplified it from 503 lines down to only 206 total, and it works even better than before. I feel enlightened. Wizard

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: February 25, 2015, 09:23:36 AM »

The easiest way to learn what radians are is to just look at a few examples next to the constant Tau.
I try to avoid ever notating radians in flat numbers because that doesn't say much, it's much easier to see when you put Tau next to it.

Tau = 2*Pi

Half a circle: Tau * 0.5
Quarter of a circle: Tau * 0.25
One tenth of a circle: Tau * 0.1

It's much easier to work with than a 0-360 range.

Never thought to do that. That's pretty cool. I'm gonna have to try thinking like that in the future.

I've just become so accustomed to radians over the years that degrees started to look foreign.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4016 on: February 26, 2015, 11:15:38 AM »

Got IUP to work, now I can make standard GUIs \o/ (needed this to make the launcher for Sol, it's tricky getting it to look as I want but with other libraries it'd be much harder)
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4017 on: March 01, 2015, 02:16:21 AM »

Hopefully, I'll start getting more active on the forums (again... I come and go), so I'll start here, since the "Happy Programmer Room" is the exact place I belong right now- I've got a group!

For the first time since I started my gamedev career 5ish years ago, I no longer need to worry about designing sprites, or music, or dialog choices. As the sole programmer in a group consisting of three artists, I now have completely free reign over the turn-based battle system in our RPG, the spellcrafting system we'll be implementing (and absolutely everything else), without ever needing to worry about the non-code sides of things. It feels great.

The game we're making will have a pretty strong 'Chrono Trigger' feel to it, with some 'Dragon's Dogma' elements in the story, combined with art inspired by 'Sword Art Online.' I'll probably start a devlog once there's actually something to show, so it's a bit early for that, but... I had to say something... Tongue

Check out my devlog!
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4018 on: March 01, 2015, 02:33:38 AM »

glVertexAttribPointer() has been replaced with a better API

Which one? Cannot find anything related to this.
starheap
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 01, 2015, 03:34:26 AM »

I managed to get some decent performance increases(100% in some cases) in our 2d python game by moving some code over to cython. We are probably gonna switch to C++ at some point...
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic