Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:55:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat should I look for in a development quality laptop?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What should I look for in a development quality laptop?  (Read 2752 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 04:44:12 AM »

ya size is my main concern. to me 15 inch has the best screen size/portability ratio. keyboardwise the main thing you lose is the numpad and its not that hard to learn to work without it.

o also regarding laptop keyboards: get one where the keys are spaced out rather than next to each other.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 07:10:12 AM »

Losing the numpad is not catastrophic unless you need to use a program where it's required (I had to abuse DOSBox mappings to let me enter Alt codes with the normal numbers for example, and some games use the numpad for controls which can screw you if they don't support remapping). More annoying though is Home/End/PgUp/PgDn getting cramped into a single column >.< (then again many new keyboards screw up with their position anyway).
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 07:15:42 AM »

^For an example of games that use the numpad for controls, see: the entire roguelike genre.

It's not a big deal to me though, because external numpads are cheap to purchase and I usually bring one when I'm working on my roguelike.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 07:37:15 AM »

^For an example of games that use the numpad for controls, see: the entire roguelike genre.

you can use the vi keys (hjklyubn) or configure the controls to not use the numpad in most roguelikes. i play a ton of roguelikes on my laptop and haven't had a lot of problems.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »

you can use the vi keys (hjklyubn) or configure the controls to not use the numpad in most roguelikes. i play a ton of roguelikes on my laptop and haven't had a lot of problems.
HJKLYUBN? Those letters don't resemble a square shape on my keyboard at all. Maybe it depends on the language?

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »

No, that's because on the system where vi originated the arrow keys were mapped to HJKL (as ←↑↓→). The other four keys are probably extensions to get diagonals.

Honestly using a shape that looks like a square would make more sense.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »

hey im just saying those are standard for roguelikes and theyre an alternative to the numpad
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 01:53:43 PM »

For me, the keyboard is everything.

I used to have a macbook but I never grew fond of it, always preferring my desktop. Then I got a surface pro. I absolutely love it. It has a pen so you can draw on it, it has decent power (intel i5 with the integrated gpu), and it is fairly usable as a tablet for couch surfing. But the best thing about it is that it is basically a laptop without a laptop keyboard!

When programming I use a small 60 key usb mechanical keyboard (ducky mini). The combination is a bit bulkier to carry than a laptop, but not heavier. It's a great keyboard and you can adjust the keyboard position relative to the screen! But you can't type on your lap (which you shouldn't do anyway).

On the down side, the screen, while high resolution, is a bit small, and the computer only has a single usb port.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »

I used to have a Lenovo T430, and it was a really comfortable experience developing and document on it, at least in contrast to my Asus g73jh, which, while great for entertainment, it was horrible for serious work.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 02:44:40 AM »

The current laptop I have is pretty powerful for most purposes but either the CPU or the GPU is lacking power to play certain games at nice settings.

I kind of wish I got a 900p or lower screen because the 1080p caused a lot of eye strain issues when I first got it and Windows has terrible scaling options, the DPI scaling breaks a bunch of programs because all the buttons get moved around. The high resolution also makes it hard to look at pixel art at a 1:1 resolution.
The keyboard is average and the mouse pad is horrible but most of the time I'm using external accessories instead.

Try to avoid laptops with gaming/business branding, they are overpriced and do not offer value for the power you end up getting. Make sure it has a dedicated GPU that is at least somewhere in the midrange for the current GPUs. Most laptops come with either a low end dedicated GPU or a terrible integrated one.

To get a decent laptop you do need to spend a fair amount of money, look at companies that use something like a Clevo chassis if you want power for the money you spend.

Jude
Level 0

Eremitic Games

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »

Thanks, this has all been really helpful. I would prefer a desktop, but we are in the process of slimming down a bit and going to have a little more mobile lifestyle for a couple of years. Eventually I will get back to having a desk.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »

My main machine is a MacBook Pro, but I went through the process of replacing a PC laptop last month and I wanted to try and get the best bang for my buck with these criteria:

15" display
1080p IPS LCD display (IPS gives better contrast and viewing angles than budget TFT displays you often see in PC laptops)
Good CPU
Decent dedicated GPU
cheapish

I ended up going with this model from ASUS, which has served me well so far, and stays quiet and fairly cool even when playing games. If your price range is higher there are certainly more options. Another resource I looked through a lot was Gaming Laptops Junky which has good reviews and recommendations of machines at various price points down to $500.

@doomlaser, mark johns
techoptix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 05:48:42 AM »

a powerful and fast processor, high resolution, high RAM and very importantly a color-accurate display are to be considered too.  Smiley
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2015, 10:31:56 PM »

Maybe it's just because I'm excessively clumsy, but my macbook pro's aluminium case has totally saved my ass, I move around a lot and have dropped it countless times (one time I literally dropped it from a bus onto the sidewalk) and everything still works perfectly. Other then that I find apple screens to have very good colours and their mouse pad gestures work very well. But of course they're generally more expensive and if you don't like Mac OS then idk bootcamp and it's ilk always seem really janky and inconvenient. 
Shrug

eh
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2015, 03:32:05 AM »

actually boot camp works perfect.
techoptix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2015, 11:10:11 PM »

Maybe it's just because I'm excessively clumsy, but my macbook pro's aluminium case has totally saved my ass, I move around a lot and have dropped it countless times (one time I literally dropped it from a bus onto the sidewalk) and everything still works perfectly. Other then that I find apple screens to have very good colours and their mouse pad gestures work very well. But of course they're generally more expensive and if you don't like Mac OS then idk bootcamp and it's ilk always seem really janky and inconvenient. 
Shrug

I've also dropped mine countless times and it is still working. lol I agree that apple screens have very good colors. Perfect for work in graphic design and development. In fact, our laptop is always listed as one of the best or always in the top 5 when it comes to reviews. Check out this site: http://www.laptoprunner.com/best-laptop-for-graphic-design/ proud macbook pro user here  Beer!
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 01:30:53 AM »

17 inch screen is a must, I'd say. Laptops with those screens tend to have full keyboards. With at least 1440x900 as a minimum.

Imho, if you're going for a 17 inch laptop, you may as well get a normal desktop -- cheaper and more powerful, and you won't carry it around anyway. Speaking from experience, too. My PC lappy is 16 inch and it basically stays on the desk all the time. The weight (including power adapter) and size make it completely unpractical for anything other than moving it from room to room. I regret buying it.

15" seems to be the sweet spot for most people, especially as they've gotten much lighter nowadays. Personally, I use a 13-incher. It's enough for me and I really appreciate the ability to simply stuff it in my normal bag and casually carry around town.

I also second Silbereisen. Don't focus just on powerful hardware. It can actually be a detriment, as more powerful parts means more weight, more heat, and less batter life. And without the ergonomics, a desktop is always a better choice.

In general, Macbook Pros are probably still the best all-around laptops on the market, with great screens, solid build, good mobility and touchpad/keyboard that doesn't require carrying extras to be comfortable. They ARE pricey, though.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »

In general, Macbook Pros are probably still the best all-around laptops on the market, with great screens, solid build, good mobility and touchpad/keyboard that doesn't require carrying extras to be comfortable. They ARE pricey, though.

that is true, yes.

tho im not so sure about the future of apple products. i have a 2010 MBP and a 2014 one and i feel like the 2014 one is worse as far as build quality. it gets very hot very easily and the screen already has those pressure marks or whatever you call em which the old MBP never had. not to mention they keep removing features (disc drive, usb ports, mic jack etc) with every generation while keeping prices consistent. the current gen of MBPs only has one usb port afaik. OS X is getting more and more locked down too.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »

the current gen of MBPs only has one usb port afaik.
That's only for the ultra-portable 12" MacBook (which I'm actually pretty interested in but wait for the first major update). Pros still have two USBs as well as plenty of other ports.

But yeah. I'm still using a 2010 MBP precisely because none of the newer models seemed to have that "sturdy as a tank" feel, and I move around a lot. The decision to replace the glass screen protection with a cheap plastic one was particularly stupid. I love how I can wipe my old screen with a normal cloth and some detergent without having to fear those dissolved anti-reflective coating stains. Keyboard seems better too.

Still, I'd say they generally went from "Really great, almost worth the price" to "Not really worth the price, but still best on the market".

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic