Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 06:47:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYogscast kickstarter game debacle
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Yogscast kickstarter game debacle  (Read 16997 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 12:57:05 PM »

I find it odd that he mentions working full time on another job even though this game was funded and presumably should have received his full attention. 

on a half million dollar project, this dude is working another job?? wtf??

this is a really valid take-away point for people considering kickstarters though:
"This is my fault, I agreed to every feature request we got because I didn't want to lose the opportunity. I wanted so badly to make this project a reality I ignored the real-world risks to the point that I almost lost everything and worst of all I let you all down."

when the money is pouring in its hard to say "no we dont want to do this or that." so easy to believe you'll just somehow make it work.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:03:44 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »

i mean what could you possibly expect from a bunch of mouthbreathing 30 year olds who play minecraft for a living
idd, I can't understand where they find so many that stupid ppl to back shits like this one, they even said the dev team haven't made a single game before that project, also minecraft clone, that's new

also they said they used all the money they got in the first 7 months, 500k, 7 months, 1 developer Smiley

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »

also they said they used all the money they got in the first 7 months, 500k, 7 months, 1 developer Smiley

goddamn!

at that point you almost HOPE it was cocaine because what other explanation could there be?

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »

I'd go with the explanation that someone's lying, the dev said after those 7 months he was funding the development for another year by himself alone, that had to cost him like I don't know, another 800k, since it costs so much

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »

in terms of money:effort ratio (the only thing that matters) I'd say this yoghurt guy is an incredibly successful indie game developer

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »

I thought they had 6 people on their dev team?  (That still wouldn't explain 500k in 7 months, though ...)

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »

Hey, sorry for going off the topic, but I'm curious - how much time exactly does a person have to deliver a game after a successful KS campaign? After what time people can get nervous that perhaps you're not going to finish your game?

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 02:15:31 PM »

you have the option of setting whatever delivery date you want before the kickstarter, so basically however much time you need. and people seem generally pretty cool about things taking longer than expected, but... maybe that will be less so now  Sad

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »

I think people get nervous if the dev misses their stated delivery dates, and/or if the dev doesn't give any updates for a long time ...

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »

That's more than 70k per month burned
A high skilled video games employee is 8k per month
So they could fund 7 highly skilled persons on that time frame
Given the plenty open source code for minecraftlike with marching cube ...

He did it all alone? god damn!!!  My Word!

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »

Again, don't think he was alone at the beginning?  It was a team of 6 people ...

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »

Gimmy, you'd best start your kickstarter quick or we'll never get to fund your ultimate Sonic game.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »

I think at least sonic fan are a bit more smart, when they criticize sonic game they do so with complete gameplay breakdown from 40s footage and are able to predict the gameplay right just based on that.

BTW I'll come back to it soon  Cool

HDSanctum
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:01 PM »

There's an interesting post on the Unity forums regarding the project leads experience: Link.

I don't get how people get away with this kind of negligence.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 06:05:30 PM »

About kickstarter is a scam:
- FTL
- Chivalry
- Gianna Sisters
- Divinity Original Sin with the depth and polishment it has
- Shovel Knight
- Wasteland 2
- Broken Age
- Dreamfall Chapters
- Project Eternity
- Torment sequel
etc...

I stop complaining about video games because that and the endlessly genre bending/mixing and boundaries pushing indie devs creates the bed for the new golden age of video games. nothing is true everything is permitted!

Dragonmaw
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »

Yogscast isn't that good, and it was clear to anybody with a brain that Yogventures was doomed to failure.

That said Yogscast sure isn't looking good right now.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »

Winterkewl didn't get purely $567k to make the game because yogscast apparently took $250k for licensing(I'm struggling to find a solid source on this), there's also the kickstarter fees, physical goods, delivery cost and taxes that have to be accounted for. It's still an incredibly mismanaged kickstarter.

I'd love to see the official cost breakdown, though they'll probably "forget" to post it or it'll be barebones and provide no real insight to where the money went.

Also yogscast was part of the paid ad campaign for Guns of Icarus.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/HowardTsao/20140626/219785/Guns_of_Icarus_Online_PostMortem__Epilogue_How_Youtube_Steam_and_Our_Players_Got_Us_This_Far.php

ink.inc
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 10:11:40 PM »

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 12:34:49 AM »

A high skilled video games employee is 8k per month
8k per month as an indie, + share revenue

what the fuck, dude, I can't imagine someone taking that kind of money for working on an indie project

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 12:38:41 AM »

- Torment sequel

they're fucking late and that's what they showed so far:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic