Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:46:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsI am a 2D/3D artist looking for a programmer collaborator
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I am a 2D/3D artist looking for a programmer collaborator  (Read 1182 times)
sonjool
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »

Hey I'm Sam and I'm looking for a programmer to collaborate on a project with. Hopefully we mesh well together in terms of our design sensibilities and personalities so we can be internet buddies. If you live around the Los Angeles area, we can grab a beer and be buddies in real life. Because more important than the project itself, I'm looking for a programmer that I can vibe with so we can have a good time making the kind of games we'd like to make.

Alright so I like samurai drama, I really like the cinematic presentation and lack of clutter of Another World, and I really really like Hotline Miami's visceral visual feedback (also love the fact that each click corresponds to one slam of the cranium onto the floor). I want to combine these elements to create a game.

Top-down cinematic meditative action game is the tentative genre name I came up with while inebriated.

Here's a mock-up I made to make some sense of all the above.

Visual style is something I want to get right, which is a mix of ink, watercolors, architectural illustrations.
Game feel is something I really want to get right. I want to be able to feel each lunge and slash.

Thanks for reading and if you're interested, shoot me a message.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:08:04 PM by sonjool » Logged

Murzy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:15:09 PM »

Ever since I played Hotline Miami, I've wanted to make my own version of it, just a better one Tongue. Even though it is a good game, some things in it could be done way better!

I can totally see how a game like that could work in a samurai setting also. However, HM had some really banging music that really highlighted the aggressiveness of the game. And I guess getting the music right in this kind of game would be important as well.

Also, use of water colors in the visual style of the game sounds really interesting, but how would this actually be implemented? Usually the levels are made of some kind of seamless tiles, using water coloring makes this a bit more complicated...

sonjool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 05:31:50 PM »

Haha didn't we all? Well I really liked HM in its entirety :-P

Yea the music really added a lot to it but I'm not sure at this point what kind of music I'll use. Because I imagine this game to be a lot slower-paced in terms of combat (think monster hunter/dark souls pace)

The art style is something I need to experiment, but what I have in mind is using a watercolor texture overlay that goes over the tiled level layout (only in certain areas like where shadow is being casted, blood, place of visual importance).

MPRart
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »

I just emailed you, I'm interested in your style, it's pretty awesome.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »

I worked with sonjool on the TIG Source sports compo:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=29427.0

I can attest he is both talented and patient. I would love to help with this, but I don't have the time.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic