Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:00:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator (now with procedural tile generator)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator (now with procedural tile generator)  (Read 10505 times)
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »

Had a quick go at this. Will try and have a better play over the weekend/next week, but some quick comments.

1. I found it quite difficult to find my colour palette at first, tucked away on a 2nd tab. Maybe make that the prominant tab over Scratch Pad

2. If you rightclick in the sprite/animation/frame tree on the right, the menu pops up with no background, and there's no selection indicator. Looks a bit weird.

3. Related to 2. When you rightclick on "0 degrees", and click "Add New Frame", this only works if you right click on the text. If you rightclick on the icon, it does nothing.

4. The black "borders" are underneath when you enable the tiling previews, which is pretty good. I'd like an option to draw the borders with an alpha above too (only something like 64), so that you can still see where your borders are, but not interfere too much with the tiling effect

But yeah, looks good so far Smiley
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, pmprog.

1. I'm thinking about this.  Originally you only had the Scratch Pad, the colour ranges were added recently to facilitate some of the generative stuff and was slotted in fairly quickly during procjam, but I suspect that you're right and most people would prefer it to be the first tab.  I'm thinking of adding in a few more tabs here as well.

2. Hmmm... that's not intended, and it doesn't work like that for me.  I suspect this is related to 3 - perhaps something is causing the background to be rendered transparent so it's not picking up the click event.

3. The context menus should be styled according to your current windows theme - what is your current theme?  Does that particular context menu look different from all the others on your machine?

4. That's a good idea, I'll look into adding an option for that.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 11:40:19 PM »

3. The context menus should be styled according to your current windows theme - what is your current theme?  Does that particular context menu look different from all the others on your machine?
Yes, it's the only one that's transparent. I run the Classic theme on Windows 7 64bit.
Does it both on my home PC, and on my work PC

I saw this is .NET, is it WPF or WinForms?

Edit:
Also, in the generator side, could we have an option that allows you to "wrap" any generated content. ie, if I'm using Strands, so as the strand would leave one edge of the image, could you draw the remained of the trail on the other side.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:46:32 AM by pmprog » Logged
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »

It's WPF, which is great for throwing together UI very rapidly, but not so great because there are lots of little finicky bits like this that you have to spend ages beating out of it! (Fun fact: I had to apply three separate fixes just to get it to actually draw scaled pixel art without turning it into a blurry mess.)

The components should wrap already in pretty much the way you describe, although there is a bit of a bodge to the way that strands do it that I had to put in to get grass to look OK - if I just let it wrap straightforwardly I was ending up with a darker line down one edge where the last line of strands were being drawn on top of the others.  So it only wraps 'normally' at the top - on the sides and bottom it will only draw the top 50% of the strand.  If it looks weird for what you're trying to do it's probably some side-effect of that - I need to go back and re-write that bit.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 02:31:41 AM »

I hate WPF, never had a good experience with it. When I had VS2010 installed and that was "hardware rendered", the source code windows would never graphically refresh properly. Was a horrible experience. Thankfully VS2013 seems much better.

Yeah, scaling pixel art is a nightmare. Luckily on WinForms, there's a couple of properties you can set on the Graphics object to fix that Smiley

For the strands, I was going left to right. Was trying to produce that effect kind of like the SSF2T HD Remix title screen (behind the menu)

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »

Some pretty nice features here.

It'd be cool if tiling could render multiple repeats to fill the visible canvas.
Wrapped painting when tiling would complement it nicely.

Is there any way to create a palette without creating ramps?
Even just a list of used colours in the image would be handy if you don't want to provide a proper palette.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 04:13:56 AM »

Tried this for a second today, and after my first predictable freakouts ("Where's my color palette?" - "Where's my frame timeline?" - "Where's my 1:1 preview") I noticed this is super advanced, easily on par with professional programs in terms of basics. I can see myself switching to this easily once I get the hang of how things are set up here. First impression great!

(← new art twitter)
pariah
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 05:20:20 AM »

Really nice and efficient tool !
I found a little issue, it seems like I can't import palette files .
When I try to import my saved .pltt it does nothing.
Am I missing something ?
paulhocker
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »

Has anyone been able to get this to work with Windows 10 64bit? No luck here!

Thanks.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 12:12:23 AM »

This looks really cool, making some of the components more interconnected would be useful though, such as the option of creating new colour ranges from the colour range drop down.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 04:12:05 AM »

Just for the tile generator, this has become my tool of choice.
I will try this avidly, passionately and relentlessly.

And provide feedback, of course.

Yeah.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic