Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:28:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamessuper mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
Print
Author Topic: super mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?  (Read 24332 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2015, 02:52:29 AM »

often feels like theyre just "improving" the individual textures w/o giving any regard to how they actually look in a scene.
Yeah. Sad

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 09, 2015, 08:32:01 AM »

also, like, just plopping HD textures onto low poly models doesn't work imo. just emphasizes how low poly they are makes everything look flat and disconnected from each other. this is a problem with the banjo xbla ports for instance (imo).

I think this is one of reasons cartoonish-looking games age so gracefully (mario64, Windwaker - both still look great, even without enhancers.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 15, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »

posting before seeing

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 22, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »

i just bought this old ps1 game called jumping flash on psn, after hearing it mentioned as the first good 3d platformer and "proto sm64". never heard of it before (im not v knowledgeable on playstation games lol).

it's pretty fun. doesn't hold a candle to sm64 of course but it's interesting that it attempted some of the same things slightly earlier, mainly to do with "open" levels and verticality. tho instead of giving you a complex acrobatic moveset, this game gives you super high low-grav jumps (youre literally a robotic rabbit lol) and instead of adjustable semi-dynamic 3rd person camera it uses 1st person perspective. it has no hub, no stars and the puzzle and exploration aspects are very slight. it consists of a series of stages and the goal in every stage is to collect 3 "jetpods" (that look like carrots) and reach the exit pad within a (so far very forgiving) time limit.

CHECK IT OUT

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 22, 2015, 06:30:25 PM »

that music is super good tho

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 23, 2015, 04:32:35 AM »

it's ok. sounds like typical 90s japanese videogame music to me.  Shrug

i kinda like the visual aesthetic tho. what happened to wacky, zany, carefree cartoon aesthetics like that? katamari is pretty much the last torchbearer for that style and that's the definition of a stagnant series. rip.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:44:23 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: May 23, 2015, 06:47:06 AM »

that music is super good tho
Yes, yes it is! I remember first hearing it in Sonic Retro.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 23, 2015, 05:18:15 PM »

That's actually a nice page and as close as I can imagine an answer to this thread. Seems like it is mostly independent developers making modern truly 3D platforming games.

Do you have a topic about your game btw?

- First is ground movement, galaxy is more snappy, 64 has more "natural" and longer friction.
Try to do a "side jump" in galaxy, in 64 I can do a front side jump by going forward, pulling back to slide and rotate the slide to forward and jump (so I don't have to do crouch jump). In galaxy the slide is significantly shorten and feel bad. Leaning don't have has much nuance too

- It's a bit more laggy, maybe one frame, I don't know, it definitely don't feel like mario 64 and it might be slower and more floaty. Reaction to collision are less "reactive", fail collision instantly send mario flying back in mario 64, less so in galaxy.

- "sloppier" collisions (by nintendo standard), if you jump on the edge of a platform and miss by a small margin (notably moving platform) mario hang in the air for some frame and slide out, in 64 it trigger a fail collision or an instant snap, it also have the bug where mario "flicker" in and out of state, still more satisfying than galaxy.

- less control overall, mario 64 as 16 jumps, with punching doubling as control modifier (forward jump, punch or slide kick). Spin move is a sloppy replacement (hidden move I didn't know: ground pound WHILE spin move have a homing effect if an enemy is close!)

- level design favor slow and deliberate movement in galaxy over improvising and exploring. It's about ride and spectacle.

- Galaxy have better moving platform as when you jump in mario 64 you don't move with the platform. Swimming is better in galaxy.

galaxy manual
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/manuals/Wii_Super_Mario_Galaxy.pdf

mario 64
http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/b3a3fbf02b2af80bcae8c46335703a37

Mario 64 is just more tactile. Just compare the flying items in both.
Ha you're right and it's funny that Galaxy got sloppier collisions and less control, I had guessed they should improved that. Spin move was really weird game play, it works well for its own purpose, an extra chance to correct a jump that missed its ledge, but not so much for pure 3D platforming.

The biggest difference I thought of for myself with Galaxy is that despite running around and upside down and all that, there is less vertical progression than Mario 64 featured. Like Tall Tall Mountain and Tiny Huge Island.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but

is a recent SM64 like game.

Yes I think that's about as close to SM64 that 3D platforming games usually are these days, i.e. they feature somewhat more flat levels with less vertical progression. Like Super Mario Galaxy 2 (it's interesting how this is regarded as dramatically different from Mario 64)

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 23, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »

Regarding galaxy vs mario 64, a lot of player don't like inertia in their gameplay (they call teh control slippery), that's why there is a stark contrast between people who like sonic vs mario. Mario first people really get upset and the level of anticipation a sonic game demand. However sonic players like mario generally but play it by running all around.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2015, 06:21:15 PM »

when I see someone walking most of the time in a mario I want to punch them

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 24, 2015, 01:42:30 AM »

it's ok. sounds like typical 90s japanese videogame music to me.  Shrug

i kinda like the visual aesthetic tho. what happened to wacky, zany, carefree cartoon aesthetics like that? katamari is pretty much the last torchbearer for that style and that's the definition of a stagnant series. rip.

Check out also Alpha waves/Continuum for DOS. It's probably one of if not THE first 3D platformers in existence. Controls dated horribly though so you'll have to get used to it.

Be a computer virus!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 24, 2015, 04:18:24 AM »

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: May 24, 2015, 07:18:21 AM »

Regarding galaxy vs mario 64, a lot of player don't like inertia in their gameplay (they call teh control slippery)

I actually had somebody say Sol is too slippery because it didn't have instant acceleration (despite Sol's intertia being comparable to that of Mario).
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 24, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »

Yup, pretty much this. I've learned about this game few years ago and have became huge fan since then. Though controls and flicker made this game age poorly, but you can get used to both of them. Great game otherwise.

Actually, it was one of the games which helped shape the art style of Computer Virus Simulator which will be a 3D platformer as well, but with modern controls Wink.

Be a computer virus!

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2015, 02:03:10 PM »

when I see someone walking most of the time in a mario I want to punch them
So much love in this post.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2015, 04:10:31 PM »

jumping flash owns, yeah. jf2 is good too. really want to see a new one for project morpheus

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 24, 2015, 05:11:23 PM »

we need a jumping flash renewal how does there is no nostalgia remake?

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

Get ready for a new one - http://www.destructoid.com/poi-looks-like-all-the-best-3d-mario-games-combined-into-one-305587.phtml
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »

if they pass kickstarter ... 18 days and they are only 20%

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 15, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »

Yeah, Poi looks cool and all, but from gameplay vids levels are IMO a bit too linear for my tastes. In best case, multiple ways should lead to level's goal, player shouldn't be forced to go on specific path. That won't be a problem for Computer Virus Simulator though as I plan quite open levels.

And if someone will want more linear/even less linear levels, they will be able to create those themselves thanks to built-in level editor that will also be used to make main game's levels (and which is almost finished by the way, only level goal editor is left to be made and save/load routines - dialogue editor can be done at a later date).

Be a computer virus!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic