Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:41:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames for gamers vs. non-gamers
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Games for gamers vs. non-gamers  (Read 3562 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:18:16 AM »

It's hardly news, but...

http://megagames.com/news/infinity-ward-admits-cod-players-arent-gamers

...do you think there's legitimate logic that many popular games and franchises today are successful *because* they're targeting non-gamers? ^.^ Isn't that the entire reason why there's a stick for us to pick up in the first place?

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:26:09 AM »

I really expected this to be a p4r link. WTF
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »

GAMERA IS DEAD

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »

"People who play our games are not people who play games" is what I appear to be reading. wat?

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 04:23:08 PM »

I think a less insane way of putting it is that the only game they play is COD.  Much like people who buy new consoles solely for Madden.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »

it's.. maddening

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 04:36:08 PM »

they're using "gamers" to mean "videogame enthusiasts", it's really not that hard to understand.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »

Sure, I get that they're saying that their target audience doesn't play other games much. It's just a silly and nonsensical way to say it.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:26 PM »

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/10/10

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 11:48:45 PM »

So if someone buys a WiiU and only plays Nintendo games on it, are they gamers or not?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 03:12:42 AM »

Why isn't a person who plays CoD and Madden near exclusively not a "Video game enthusiast"? They're certainly more enthusiastic about games than other people I know who play no video games at all.

One dilemma is the word "gamer" is such a broad word that can describe so many people that very few (or none) of people who play video games cannot be described as a "gamer" of some sort, but that's not the only problem here.

This article sounds like an excuse to stereotype all CoD players as meatheads, when there is certainly a wide body of CoD players who also play other titles. Ignoring those CoD players who are interested in varied experiences (even if the variation is small) is pretty dismissive.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 06:29:05 AM »

So if someone buys a WiiU and only plays Nintendo games on it, are they gamers or not?
I believe those are called "people with good taste"
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 06:39:23 AM »

Why isn't a person who plays CoD and Madden near exclusively not a "Video game enthusiast"? They're certainly more enthusiastic about games than other people I know who play no video games at all.

enthusiastic about videogames in general, including the bs that surrounds them not just a few select ones. basically people who participate in "gaming" as a subculture.

and before i get any "where do you draw the line" responses, im not trying to establish an academic definition here, it's just that it's obvious what they meant
jolene
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »

they should just say nerds dont play our game
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »

One dilemma is the word "gamer" is such a broad word that can describe so many people that very few (or none) of people who play video games cannot be described as a "gamer" of some sort, but that's not the only problem here.
I'll tell you what a gamer is, a gamer is someone who risks getting fired from their job so they can camp outside of a store for three days for the privilege of being one of the first ten people to own a six hundred dollar piece of electronic junk that'll probably end up bricking itself a week later because the manufacturer cut corners. Then they go and brag about it on Twitter probably from their smrt phone whilst they're part of another line, the line at the unemployment office.
Conker534
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 06:13:42 PM »

wow what a waste of time
Dragonmaw
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »

I'll tell you what a gamer is, a gamer is someone who risks getting fired from their job so they can camp outside of a store for three days for the privilege of being one of the first ten people to own a six hundred dollar piece of electronic junk that'll probably end up bricking itself a week later because the manufacturer cut corners. Then they go and brag about it on Twitter probably from their smrt phone whilst they're part of another line, the line at the unemployment office.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
jolene
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »

AHAHAHGAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »

so iPhans are gamers then!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic