Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:38:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWindows 10 - the best Windows yet
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Windows 10 - the best Windows yet  (Read 5716 times)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 04:42:02 PM »

who the fuck wants to beta test an operating system for free
Ask people who upgrade Ubuntu the day the new version comes out...
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »

who the fuck wants to beta test an operating system for free
Ask people who upgrade Ubuntu the day the new version comes out...

In the case of standard-release Linux distributions there's generally a long chain of development and beta versions before the stable release.  So even if you're able to upgrade monthly you can do it and be ensured that you're getting a production-ready OS.  Plus these incremental upgrades in packages are much different than adding hundreds of features per release.

Now, distributions such as Arch are another beast entirely, but due to the rolling release model you can simply roll back any misbehaving packages to a stable version while keeping the stable, bleeding-edge stuff.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »

The problem is that with Ubuntu it's a bad idea to upgrade the moment the upgrade comes out because they tend to be buggy as hell (they focus more on meeting the artificial deadline than fixing what's there). You should wait one or two months before upgrading so they fix all the new bugs they just introduced.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »

The problem is that with Ubuntu it's a bad idea to upgrade the moment the upgrade comes out because they tend to be buggy as hell (they focus more on meeting the artificial deadline than fixing what's there). You should wait one or two months before upgrading so they fix all the new bugs they just introduced.

Yeah, I'd much rather use a rolling-release distro like Arch where it's really easy to just roll back a package if it's too unstable.  Of course, you get problems when you do a full system update less than a couple times a month or so because of ridiculous package conflicts and interconnections.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »

This is no different from Windows releases. Except of course for the fact that you have to pay for them. Also, replace "months" with "years."

I'm not trying to defend Ubuntu, or their buggy updates. But it is generally easier to cut some slack when you aren't spending money.

I still favor OS X for operating systems. Mac maybe overpriced, but they do at least give you some polish and production value for your money.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »

wow new start menu looks like ass. given i have an xp desktop at work, i truly miss the program menu and not the program tree within the start menu. i hate the flat rectangle with contrasting colors. looks good for a website on occasions, but looks like ass for a general purpose ui.

jiitype
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 08:57:08 PM »

XP master race Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 12:51:23 AM »

Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One
Windows 7 -> Windows 8 -> Windows 10

Lol

Anyway, doesn't seems to be a revolution.

And finally, multiple desktops...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:17:28 AM by JulienBe » Logged

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 01:13:50 AM »

I'm curious if this means they're skipping the good Windows release this time and going straight to the next bad release. Windows has always been like a pendulum, swinging between being trash and being excellent with every new version.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 01:16:37 AM »

It seems Microsoft is trying to catch-up what they lost to Ubuntu and Mac in the last release.

wut
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 01:22:50 AM »

I really like the directon Microsoft has taken recently in regards to visual design with Win 8 and 10.
But other than that I still remember Win 98 as being the best, it was simply the fastest one I knew.

I will probably only upgrage my Windows 7 when it starts running windows apps worse than Linux+Wine do, since I can no longer get free OSes from my univeristy.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 03:13:11 AM »

This is no different from Windows releases. Except of course for the fact that you have to pay for them. Also, replace "months" with "years."

I'm not trying to defend Ubuntu, or their buggy updates. But it is generally easier to cut some slack when you aren't spending money.

Maybe, but Windows has the advantage that pretty much everybody supports it. Can't say the same about Ubuntu, where support is hit and miss (and so the likelihood of your install breaking are much higher). Though I guess it's skewed by the fact that the OS pretty much tells you to update the very day that update comes out, while with Windows you have to hunt it down so you may forget about it until the problems are ironed out.

But yeah, I remember Vista suffering from this heavily. One of the biggest reasons it failed to gain traction was that drivers for it were generally broken or inefficient (especially with the important kernel architecture change), so people skipped on it because it was nearly unusable. By the time the issue got solved Windows 7 was coming out so everybody went onto that instead (leaving XP on the low-end systems).
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Conker534
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »

never gonna stop using win 7 at this rate
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:50 AM »

One of the biggest reasons it failed to gain traction was that drivers for it were generally broken or inefficient (especially with the important kernel architecture change), so people skipped on it because it was nearly unusable. By the time the issue got solved Windows 7 was coming out so everybody went onto that instead (leaving XP on the low-end systems).

i only switched from XP to 7 like 2 years ago
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »

missed chance for to call it windows ix, undermine 2 apple trademarks at once

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
jolene
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »

hmm im using 8.1 n its nice. only thing i can pay atention to in that video is how the taskbar is still aero and not metro smh.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »

Saw the Japanese version of this a few days ago. Supposedly, it's a FREE UPGRADE TO Win 8. Changing apps to function like Windows is a good thing, but I can only think of one use for multiple desktops, and it's just the wrong stuff at work/school.

Now... if they tie that 'swap program' function to the Win key (tap/hold between that and Start menu), that'd be the coolest.

It's all an experiment to evolve Windows, and eventually it's gonna be something cool. The concept of the "5 year shelf life" needs to die in a fire, though. And not just in OS versions, either.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »

That one makes even more sense than the autocomplete stuff. Way a lot more of sense. No wonder, though they could have just used a different internal number really. (I don't think there's a function like that on the Windows API though...) (EDIT: Java does!)

But yeah, reminds me how all the Opera versions from 10 onward still report themselves as 9 in the user agent (and then add the real version later), to work around scripts that stupidly assume the major version is a single digit.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:25:36 PM by Sik » Logged
Conker534
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 07:35:56 AM »

It had social media apps built in how fucking stupid
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic