Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:41:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThere Was A Caveman... [Out on Steam]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: There Was A Caveman... [Out on Steam]  (Read 46238 times)
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2015, 05:10:51 AM »

Every game counts falling as first jump in games with double jump  Undecided
Yeah, basically. That's why I did it too. Though it could work the other way too. I'll test it out.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2015, 07:02:36 AM »

Hey guys!

Sorry it took so long for a new update. I've been busy with real life a little and a bit of laziness. Anyways,
i've done a lot in the game, too!

First things first -
I've started working on the story part of the game and made an intro. It's supposed to be kind of abstract, it
doesn't matter how the cave woman died, as it's not the important part, what's important is that she died. It's
up to the players to interpet how she died.  Basically, the caveman is sad because of his loss, and he finally
decides he has to do something to not die alone here, so he goes on this adventure in the search of a new woman.
But the boulder in front of the cave is stuck and can't be moved anymore so he has to venture out the other side.
Simple, sad, and hopefully later humorous, as I've got some funny stuff planned.

About the afterlife level -
I've finally finished all of it, including the boss fight. I mean there are a few things to tweak, fix and
polish, but it's done.
Here you can see the boss fight, it's turned out pretty fun. In first phase the dino death teleports around the
screen for a few times throwing death fire on caveman, after that he teleports to one side of the screen and
zigzags the screen summoning the little worms from down below. And then it goes back to phase 1. And after he
gets close to death he becomes faster at everything making the fight even harder.

I've also added some darkness to a few afterlife levels, it makes for a nice change in gameplay, making you go
slower and more careful as you don't know what's infront of you.

The winter level -
All the hazards, mechanics and enemies for it are done, too. Only boss fight left to code and level designing,
but I'll get to it soon enough.
Here you can see a few enemies and mechanics from the level. I feel like this level will be one of the most fun,
as the enemy and hazard design a bit more interesting that in the other levels.

And here's the look of the boss for winter level. The run animation is kind a weird, because Im using only 4
frames of animations, but I'll probably fix that later on. I've got the fight all planned out, but you'll have to wait for that a little longer.

Some of you might not know, but I finally decided what's going to be the last level of the game, I think  this
gif will give you some insight on that!

I've also done some other less interesting stuff, like bug fixes, level design changes, vsync toggle as it  
caused problems for some players and I tweaked the attack range a little, as shown in the gif below.

Anyways, thanks for still following the game's progress, and I just want to say that it's not long before release  anymore!

Bahototh
Level 1

Design, Pixels & Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2015, 07:05:57 AM »

Awesomeness! Clean crisp graphics gets the thumbs up.

-----------------------------------------------------
"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~Charles Horton Cooley
---------------------------------------------------
[Thy Sword] https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48380.0
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2015, 10:12:07 AM »

Thanks man! Smiley

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2015, 07:50:30 AM »

By the way, I was wondering how do you guys like getting updated more? Like i've been doing with long intervals, but showing more stuff, or just update more regularly and show less stuff? Tongue

Anyways, here's the first version of 'the guts'. It's not finished yet, not at all. Im planning some more decorative tiles, and some other moving things on the ground, to give the scene more life(well, as much life as there can be inside a dead dinosaur, you know).

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »

By the way, I was wondering how do you guys like getting updated more? Like i've been doing with long intervals, but showing more stuff, or just update more regularly and show less stuff? Tongue

Anyways, here's the first version of 'the guts'. It's not finished yet, not at all. Im planning some more decorative tiles, and some other moving things on the ground, to give the scene more life(well, as much life as there can be inside a dead dinosaur, you know).

So creative. Never saw a caveman inside a dino. Will there be different mechanics, like a slippery part of tissue ?
Congrats my friend!

rebelholic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2015, 10:13:35 PM »

So do you using unity 5 for your game and 32x32 tile set for all scenes, right?
Hey! Nope, im using GM: Studio and the base tile and character sizes are 16x16. Smiley

So your game can set resolution setting to 16:9 or 4:3, right?

Feel free give feedback:
Fearless Tigor Devlog
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2015, 12:18:26 AM »

So creative. Never saw a caveman inside a dino. Will there be different mechanics, like a slippery part of tissue ?
Congrats my friend!

Hehe, thanks man! Smiley
There probably will be, I try to have atleast some little different mechanics in each of the level. Though slipperiness(is that even a word?) was in winter. Smiley

So your game can set resolution setting to 16:9 or 4:3, right?

Well, I haven't set up changeable aspect ratios, right now it's only at 16:9. But yeah, I could set it to either one.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2015, 02:02:36 AM »

Hey, i noticed that the weapon's highlight color merges with the midground of 'the guts' level. It looks almost gray on my (non-color-corrected!) screen. You could switch to a brownish highlight color, along these lines:

I really enjoy this devlog, btw. Smiley
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »

Hey, i noticed that the weapon's highlight color merges with the midground of 'the guts' level. It looks almost gray on my (non-color-corrected!) screen. You could switch to a brownish highlight color, along these lines:

I really enjoy this devlog, btw. Smiley

Ahh, sorry for not responding so long.

I hadn't really thought about that, thanks for pointing it out, i'll be sure to fix the club's highlight. Smiley Or fix the guts level, hah. :D

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »

Hey everyone!

Here's another update!

So, I figured out the 'guts' boss fight already. This one will differ a bit from previous boss fights, as you won't be fighting a large monster. But it will still be tough as hell! Smiley I'll show a gif of the fight next time probably!
This is how he will look, it's not really finished yet, but it's close. Smiley

I redid a lot of previous level design as I felt it wasn'tt very good. Anyways, it should be better now, and I also added some more unique mechanics to previous levels, too. Like this vine swinging for Forest levels.

As for the winter level, everything except the boss fight scripting is done. Smiley I really like how the level design of Winter levels turned out. Some pretty cool stuff there. Smiley
Here are some gifs from it -

That's it for this time! Thanks to anyone who's still checking out this devlog! I really appreciate it.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2015, 09:29:34 AM »

Hey,I have some stuff to show. :D Smiley

So yeah, Im done with the 'guts' boss fight. It's tough as hell. But well, what can you expect, it's one of the final boss fights!
It's basically a 2 phase fight. From the start the boss is hanging on the ceiling, and you have to get it down by throwing bones at thim, and then when you damage it enough, phase 2 starts and he drops down.

And guess what? I reworked 'cave' visuals once again. :D I never really liked it, so I thought I'd give it another shot. This time it could be the final version, as im kinda liking it. Smiley It's mostly done, except for a few little things, like the spikes and stuff like that. And also I have to re-tile all of the cave levels, yay... (sadface)

I made this picture, with how the 'caves' visuals have changed since starting the development, and it's pretty drastic. Pretty crazy to think how much my pixel-art skills have improved.

Anyways, that's it for this time, thanks for still checking this out! Smiley

BONUS:
This is not really 'TwaC' related, but i thought I'd share it anyways, as it might be my next project. A beat 'em up mockup. Smiley

lobstersteve
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »

It looks much better now Smiley some side-tiles could just use a sliiight improvement
So what are you going to do now? redraw the tiles in all levels?  Shocked ...or just this one?
loudo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2015, 11:39:43 PM »

Wow there are very highly talented pixel artist in Tigsource. I look forward to see your next project.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2015, 02:23:53 AM »

@lobstersteve, thanks man! Yeah, also the background needs some more adjustments, I'll get to it in my own time. Smiley
Well, I might redo some tiling for the levels im least happy about, but nothing as fancy as this cave level, probably.

@loudo Thank you! Smiley

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »

Looking better everytime I check this devlog. Nice aamatniekss!

joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2015, 02:51:44 AM »

Yes those rock and grass tiles look really good now - makes a big difference to the overall feeling of polish. Good stuff!

pixel-boy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2015, 05:00:09 AM »

I've just try the demo and it's really cool to play, last visuals look promising, keep up the great work man Smiley

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »

Thanks dudes, I appreciate it!

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »

Improvements are fantastic! This game has really come a long way in a fairly short amount of time. Well done!
Your mock-up looks great as well!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic