Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:12:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs66 Games in 66 Days
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: 66 Games in 66 Days  (Read 8722 times)
Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 05:28:50 AM »

No wonder your games aren't good if you don't take any time to design and make your game.
How does it work? What's the gameplay? What are the mechanics? Why is it fun?
Good games aren't made in a day. (well, they are, but they're well thought out, short and not rushed)

You won't get experience in making good games if you make a lot of bad games.
The games you made so far, do you consider any of them a good game?

Or rather, what do you learn from all of this? What did you learn from each game you made so far?
The scripting is at it's basic, you are pretty much skilled at making quick "concepts" of simple games. It's not like you will learn much from doing such scripting over and over again. (simple platforming, simple movement, simple bullet shooting, etc)
You won't learn much about art either, as you don't spent much time on it and just produce quick placeholder art.
The game mechanics aren't anything new or exciting either. You won't learn much about different genres if you spent very little time thinking about them. "Hmm, today ima make a shmup. I make a movable ship that shoots bullets, an enemy that moves up and down, and score. Done! Let's move on."

I'm just saying. I don't want to discourage you or anything, but I just think it would be best to actually spent some time making a game and thinking about how to make a game and not just hurl them out like crazy, thinking making many bad games will make you better at making games.

Join Ludum Dare. Do a game a month event. Think about what kind of game you want to make. Think about how you will make it.

Kudos for setting out to do something like this and kudos if you will actually stick to making 66 games in just two months. But damn man, I dunno if its worth it.
Good luck! Beer!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 05:36:00 AM by Green Gospod » Logged
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 10:42:03 PM »

7/66

ARROW KEYS, X TO FIX/USE MAST, C TO USE TELESCOPE
Play in browser here: http://goo.gl/egb3in

A game about going home

This game didn't turn out like I planned. I was hoping to invoke a more home longing feeling but I never got that feeling when playing this. Emotions are hard.

Enjoy!
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 11:12:12 PM »

I've played them all, 1,2,4 are my favorites.
1: Was genuinely fun to play
2: Made me feel emotions and that was good, I hope you flesh out this game in future, or expand on the concept.
4: Was a really cool mechanic and actually had a really cool aesthetic to match it.

MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 06:59:11 AM »

I've played them all, 1,2,4 are my favorites.
1: Was genuinely fun to play
2: Made me feel emotions and that was good, I hope you flesh out this game in future, or expand on the concept.
4: Was a really cool mechanic and actually had a really cool aesthetic to match it.

I'm glad you enjoyed any of them Smiley
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »

8/66

Arrows/WASD to move, M/E to punch, Q/N to use smoke screen. MULTIPLAYER ONLY
Play this game in browser here: http://goo.gl/TBZJfe

A game about fitting in

I was going to hang out with friends so I made a multiplayer in a few hours today. It's alright, nothing big.

Enjoy!
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »

Really awesome concept!  One thing I think would be great would be to highlight each player's character at the beginning, then throw up a big smokescreen to give both players time to blend into the rest of the crowd, without getting immediately lost.
Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 04:43:48 AM »

Do you do the music yourself? I love the one in #7. I don't know how often you can get reverse wind in that one as I got it only when I was right before the island but that could make it more like what you were after. More of that, where you would have to pull down the mast. Also maybe the choppy movement of the player and the ship up and down was something that broke the atmosphere for me.
On some level I agree with Green Gospod but if you are going just after what you can get emotionaly from those games then I think you are not doing anything wrong. Number 3 struck me like an interesting idea. If you drop the torch, there is no way back. That is because you didn't programmed it in but also because when in real life you drop the torch, not always can you pick it up again and you have to live with it.

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 05:31:05 AM »

You could have gotten something out of making "A game about fitting in", by for example trying to make a small swarm system, where people actually group up and then disjoint and wonder off to another direction and group up again, and then maybe group up on you if you punch one of their groupies, etc. Now they just wonder randomly around and eventually get stuck in the walls.
Imagine if you'd actually put some work into each of these games. Some could be quite fun. I think the first one is best one so far, because it actually has gameplay and the simple particle effect is neat.  Smiley
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 10:13:52 PM »

9/66

Arrow keys
Play this game in browser here: http://goo.gl/OoFa3V

A game about playing Binding of Isaac too long to make a proper game.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 12:55:32 AM »

9/66

Arrow keys
Play this game in browser here: http://goo.gl/OoFa3V

A game about playing Binding of Isaac too long to make a proper game.

This is clearly a social commentary on society  Wink

MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »

10/66

WASD/ARROW KEYS TO MOVE/JUMP, MOUSE TO SHOOT BIRDS
Play this game in browser here: goo.gl/NbJ4EO

A game about copying Cactus Squid games

I couldn't think of any good game ideas today so I just copied a game that cactus squid showed a peak of at one of his talks.

Enjoy!
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 11:46:26 PM »

Hand Clap

This is a great exercise, cramming lots of development experience into a small space. And I'm impressed that you're producing interesting stuff while doing it. I really like the telescope screen in the sailing game.

(One suggestion - how about adding super-basic beginning and ending screens, to make each sketch more like a complete, tiny game? This stuff can be annoying to do, but adds polish cheaply, and will presumably be straightforward once you've done it a dozen times.)

MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »

11/66

WASD/ARROW KEYS TO DO STUFF
Play in browser here: http://goo.gl/SrxpTB

I really really really really hate making space games. I don't know what it is, Probably the movement. but I have never finished a single one of mine so far, this was no exception unfortunately. I might make some sort of mini game game to make up for this
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »

12/66

ARROW KEYS TO PLAY
Play in browser here: http://goo.gl/zyb4GL

A game about falling down a well

This game I liked just because I couldn't think of much but I got a small nice experience either way.

Enjoy!
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »

13/66

ARROW KEYS/SPACE/R TO PLAY
Play in browser here: http://goo.gl/tO6gS8

A game about being too drunk to make a game the day before then wanting hangover food then making a game about said hangover food.

I like this game because it was funny to me sorta. But shit. Making two games tomorrow.

Enjoy!
MrTedders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »

14/66

WASD AND MOUSE TO PLAY
Play in browser here: http://goo.gl/WkKj5D

A game about re writing code for fps and playing with shaders and fixing bugs literally all day so that you cant make any assets so you just use a thing you made a long time ago and throw things you made into the thing and say its a thing.

I learned A LOT today so even tho it wasn't a full game I'm happy with it.

Enjoy!
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »

Not gonna lie I was pretty skeptical at first. But these are actually interesting. Each one is really different and unique and cool in it's own way. Some are really cool, some really suck, but the point is to push yourself in an interesting way, not to necessarily make good games.
Fuck the haters, more power to ya!

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 12:59:08 AM »

Keep it up, man. If nothing else you'll be getting better at prototyping.

The last one has a really interesting graphical style!

cbet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 05:04:20 AM »

Good stuff.  I just saw the thread and played through them.  Number 4 is my favorite so far. 

It seems like a great exercise for experimenting and learning.

I like the music too.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 05:53:26 AM »

14 is beautiful, its like playing Frozen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic