Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:04:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare (Dec 6 - Dec 8)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare (Dec 6 - Dec 8)  (Read 21725 times)
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2014, 12:29:16 PM »

#75   Fun   3.77
#97   Overall   3.76
#215   Mood   3.34
#260   Graphics   3.57
#458   Audio   2.88
#490   Innovation   3.22
#957   Theme   3.23

I ended up with a cool rank for fun and overall (best ones yet in 4 ludum dares). I'm just curious how I got such a good overall when the rest of my ranks are so low.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »

Well if people are like me, they probably valued fun over all the other categories.  Unless the game clearly wasn't meant to be fun.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2014, 04:03:06 PM »

I agree with GhostBomb, when I rate the "overall" category, I tend to express a general feeling, and If I had fun playing the game, then this feeling is obviously better Wink!

Here my scores for Attack of the Screen Scrollers:

#20 Theme 4.46
#20 Innovation 4.34
#148 Fun 3.61
#182 Overall 3.63
#478 Humor 2.59
#561 Mood 2.93
#593 Audio 2.64
#714 Graphics 2.83

I'm quite happy with Theme and Innovation (didn't except that one), and Fun and Overall are similar to my previous LD entry (I actually got better scores, but lower ranks. I think it's due to the general increase of good games produced each LD Wink).

Regarding Graphics, Last time I scored average with "flash-based" cartoon vector graphics, so this time I tried my hand at pixel art. For a very poor score. It means I'll have to focus on this point for the next LD (and also I'd like to find a tool to create music for someone with zero skills in this area Wink).

Anyway, the winning entries for this LD are clearly awesome (Snowball Juggling Olympics is outstanding), and there was a lot of original entries despite the initial outrage at the theme!

The One Fork Restaurant DX : DevLog - Play current beta version
Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »

Here are my scores for Slope Challenge:

#221 Innovation 3.63
#333 Audio 3.08
#362 Theme 3.75
#409 Overall 3.33
#637 Graphics 2.96
#664 Mood 2.82
#799 Fun 2.83

I guess the difficult controls and some initial confusion (I made the help feature early on but never went back to update and improve it) killed some of the fun for sure. As an absolute noob at jams and new at Unity, I guess I'm fairly happy with the ranking relative to what I made.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2014, 12:15:51 AM »

I came #11 in graphics which I was really happy with since I wasted to much time on them and was left with too little time for everything else. Overall no big surprises, but next time I'm hoping to focus on gameplay first, graphics last.

Happy with what I did even if it is a one trick prototype.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2014, 12:57:26 AM »

Link you game, Imp. I don't remember which one it was.

Overall I'm happy with my scores. Definitely shot myself in the foot by making a multiplayer only game.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=25036

I know what's wrong with it. It's no fun. I had an idea that was way too big in my head, and instead of doing a vertical slice prototype i spent too much time learning how to code certain things.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
bitserum
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2014, 02:10:00 AM »

This is the third time we placed 11th in Mood. I'm really happy with the results, and we got the morale boost to remake this into a larger, more polished project.

FREAKNARF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2014, 03:35:30 AM »

Hi !
Here are DMS rankings :
   Coolness   100%
#579   Humor(Jam)   2.44
#615   Audio(Jam)   2.30
#872   Fun(Jam)   2.50
#910   Innovation(Jam)   2.27
#912   Mood(Jam)   2.30
#912   Theme(Jam)   2.87
#921   Graphics(Jam)   2.17
#975   Overall(Jam)   2.43
( http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=46874 )
I guess optimism is self deception ... Anyway I tell myself it's in the good half and comments and evolution encourage me to go on ! Maybe with more preparation/communication with the Compo next time. Feeling part of LD for the first time was great and constructive to me.
Franklins Ghost : I really liked animation on your game. Do you make flash movies or something like this usually?

Cheers ! Beer!

K
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2014, 05:11:03 AM »

Link you game, Imp. I don't remember which one it was.

Overall I'm happy with my scores. Definitely shot myself in the foot by making a multiplayer only game.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=25036

I know what's wrong with it. It's no fun. I had an idea that was way too big in my head, and instead of doing a vertical slice prototype i spent too much time learning how to code certain things.

at least you learned a lot

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2014, 08:08:50 PM »

Franklins Ghost : I really liked animation on your game. Do you make flash movies or something like this usually?

Thanks FREAKNARF, I have done some short flash movies previously but haven't had time in awhile to work on any new ones. Latest project is using the same techique but just involves one figure. Here's the link to one of the twitter videos if you want to check it out Humqn Fishbowl

Would recommend trying the comp version, think you end up learning alot when you have to do everything by yourself. My scores haven't ever been that great besides this time the graphics so I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as your learning I think it's worth it.

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »

My game was Quiet Life:

I didn't expect my scores to be high, but I didn't quite expect them to be this low either.

Calculating the percentiles, that's my worst ever score (relative to other entrants) in Innovation, Theme, Audio (obvious considering I didn't have the time and added sfxr bleeps solely for feedback), Humor and Mood, with it being second worst ever in two of the remaining three categories, Overall and Fun. (Graphics was my third worst score ever, but that's because that score is always low.) As this was my 8th Ludum Dare, this is a bit of a disappointing result.

I was considering developing my game further, but at this point I'm just not sure if anybody liked it. On the other hand, my only LD game appreciated enough to keep being linked occasionally (my LD22 entry, Hikikomori Manager 2012) is also my second worst rated game (it was my worst rated game until this LD), so ratings don't say everything either. (Meanwhile, my best rated game, which was top 10 in three categories and top 25 overall, has only been played by around 50 people and never receives any attention anymore.)

One peculiarity I noticed is that my rankings are lower than you'd expect from the ratings, particularly in theme - my Theme score this LD was 3.44, which ranks me 769th among the 1365 compo entrants (percentile 43.66%). However, back in LD23, my theme score of 3.47 gave me 202nd place of 1072 entrants (percentile 81.16%). Though the score was only 0.03 lower, the percentile dropped by a whopping 37.5%. It's not just voting trends changing over a long stretch of time, either; my LD29 entry's Theme score of 3.63 ranked me #235 out of 1492 (percentile 84.25%). I doubt that 0.19 points of difference was worth an over 40% drop in percentile. A lesser effect is also visible in other categories (my LD31 Overall score of 3.20 is identical to my LD24 score, but in LD24 I was at 75.55% yet this time I'm only at a percentile of 60.00%). I wonder if there's been a big influx of higher-rating new users this (or past) LD or if there's some other explanation for this strange change.

While we're on the subject of strange votes, I'm also not entirely satisfied with the ratings voters gave to other games. While I don't mean any offense to Molten, I feel that SideLands's #95 Fun, #97 Overall and #240 Innovation for a game of which the biggest draw is that the screen is rotated 90 degrees and that practically plays itself for lack of difficulty, in addition to being short, is rather excessive. Meanwhile great games like Tifu's Deicide (which despite its flaws in lack of player feedback and sub-optimal controls provides a great, fun, rewarding challenge) and Tuba's Rome's Little Step with its awesome combat mechanics get screwed with low scores like #445 Overall, #610 Fun and #657 Overall, #419 Fun respectively. I get the feeling that voters simply don't take the time to truly play the games and rate them in a shallow manner after playing for a couple minutes at most. (For reference: 2.5Dino Arena, although the score doesn't fully compare due to it being jam instead of compo, beats Deicide in Fun and RLS in Overall.)

(In case anyone's wondering, these were my votes for the abovementioned games, in order of Overall/Innovation/Fun/Theme/Graphics/Audio:
2.5Dino Arena: 2/1/2/2/2/X
SideLands: 3/3/2/2/4/2
Deicide: 4/4/4/4/3/X
RLS: 4/3/4/3/4/4)

And to supplement our earlier discussion on positive/negative feedback, here are some gems from the people who voted on my low-rated game:

only 2days for that ? wow... Good job
Great game! I love this survival setting.
I had a lot of fun with this.
Good Work ^^
Wow! You did this in 48 hours?! That's awesome! Many features for such a small time. I've had fun playing this. So many recipes... It's awesome!
I lost myself at: "Under you: Dead sheep"
Excellent game!
Good job and in 48 hours! I did not live very long but it was fun. Smiley

Great game! 2/5
ElVaquero
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »

My game did sort of okay!
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=36638
   Coolness   71%
#249   Innovation(Jam)   3.48
#397   Fun(Jam)   3.19
#468   Overall(Jam)   3.24
#597   Audio(Jam)   2.40
#694   Theme(Jam)   3.33
#796   Humor(Jam)   1.87
#855   Mood(Jam)   2.47
#873   Graphics(Jam)   2.38

Obviously I didn't set the world on fire, but I am encouraged to score decently well with Innovation & Fun. It was my first time doing a solo jam and my first LD so maybe that balances out my disappointment with not cracking the Top 100. Percentiles are also a more ego-friendly way to look at this stuff

Also pretty clear that I should work with an artist for the next jam I do. Going solo is nice for speedily prototyping things, but I think Graphics play a lot into Fun and Overall.
Artist peeps who need good programmers/designers, hit me up for your next jammy jam!  Gentleman
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »

And to supplement our earlier discussion on positive/negative feedback, here are some gems from the people who voted on my low-rated game:

only 2days for that ? wow... Good job
Great game! I love this survival setting.
I had a lot of fun with this.
Good Work ^^
Wow! You did this in 48 hours?! That's awesome! Many features for such a small time. I've had fun playing this. So many recipes... It's awesome!
I lost myself at: "Under you: Dead sheep"
Excellent game!
Good job and in 48 hours! I did not live very long but it was fun. Smiley

Great game! 2/5

I guess all the people with negative comments choose to stay anonymous, so you only see the people who liked your game

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »

Yeah I've learnt to not read too much into the comments, last LD was my favourite complete game so far and with the comments I received I thought I was going to go pretty well but ended getting pretty poor scores. Have now learnt to just do it more for myself and the learning process then anything else. Think the scoring is a strange thing with it all depending who is scoring you and how many people score you.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2015, 03:13:27 AM »

Incredibly bad on the coolness scale, but rather good in most other categories, considering there were over 2600 entries this year (which does make the coolness incredibly bad, tho ).

What does "coolness" really mean in LD anyway? I never really know what to put there when I rate a game. It can't be the general sum of the other categories, because there's already an "overall" one too.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2015, 04:20:33 AM »

Coolness is based on how many entries you vote on I'm pretty sure. It's for the people who really dedicate themselves and vote on like hundreds of entries. I guess the LD people thought they deserved some credit.

fullmontis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2015, 12:36:51 PM »

My game Behind the fog did rather well, I'm satisfied.

I finally broke the 4 star barrier in at least one category of which I'm happy. I need to work more on my graphics and mechanics next time though.

bitserum
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2015, 12:09:41 AM »

What does "coolness" really mean in LD anyway? I never really know what to put there when I rate a game. It can't be the general sum of the other categories, because there's already an "overall" one too.

How could you know? There's no coolness rating you can give games...
Your low coolness score is due to a low amount of games you rated, probably around 1 percent or less of total games.

Anyway it's what Impmaster said already... but here's a bit more, taken from the LD site:

In addition, there is a special category Coolness. The more games you play and rate, the higher your score. ALSO: we prioritize people with a higher Coolness. More players will find (and likely) rate your game if you have a high Coolness.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »

Coolness is based on how many entries you vote on I'm pretty sure. It's for the people who really dedicate themselves and vote on like hundreds of entries. I guess the LD people thought they deserved some credit.
Oh, yeah. I remember that now. I have gotten higher scores there before. Sorry for being uncool this time around. Just exploding with itching fingers these days. Been drawing, programming, writing, everything. Sad((

gamepopper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »

My entry was Glow Drop, a physics puzzle game where the entire game was built in Construct2 using only one layout. Many layers and event sheets were used to pull this off.

And because of the amount of comments demanding such, I'm currently working on updating it to Android and Windows Phone/Store 8. Hopefully there will be something released by the end of the month!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic