Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:55:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1952523 times)
justindies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: December 29, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »

Hi, I'm Justin. I work as a programmer at a large studio.

Some of my all time favorite games over the years: Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart (SNES/64), Chip's Challenge, Goldeneye 64, Counter-Strike (1.3-1.6), and Team Fortress 2.

And some awesome games that I spent less time with: Antichamber, Portal, Defense Grid, Great Permutator, and Plants vs Zombies.

I like reading the devlogs here and I'm going to make one of my own eventually.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:18:23 AM by justindies » Logged
relaxguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: December 30, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »

Hi, I'm Tony.

I have a normal full time job writing device drivers for embedded systems, and moonlight at night working on game projects.  I've been working on a project for a while and I'm stuck.  It started as "I want to learn to make a game" and now the game is in limbo since I don't really know where to go with it.  The game is written in Haxe and OpenFL and is a 2d isometric shoot em up...at least so far.

I grew up on NES and SNES and those are still my favorite systems to this day.  Secret of Mana is my all time favorite SNES game and Warcraft I really got me into PCs, PC gaming, and writing software.  I played starcraft for over 10 years as a protoss player and met a ton of really cool people.

I'd really like to create a devlog and get feedback from the community, I've read a few devlogs so far (namely the ones from dukope) and I'm really inspired.

I've written a few blog articles involving Haxe/OpenFL on my website http://xenizogames.com/ and will add more game content shortly.
DwightB
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: December 31, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »

Hi I'm Dwight, a programmer/artist living in Austin, Tx. I'm currently working on my first indie game in unity, creating the pixel art and programming it.

Playable here, but it's just a walk cycle: http://dwightbenignus.com/unity_game/

I love casual games, the first games I fell in love with were nintendo games- mario, donkey kong country, mario rpg, etc, and the final fantasy series (mostly 6-8 and tactics), LucasArts adventure games, Hocus Pocus. Nowadays I admire games like Braid, Fez, Journey, Team Ico stuff, other indie titles out there, Katamari, Another World and more. I'm a fan of The Last Night which is currently being made and that inspired me to start my own short game.
Kolo
Level 0

Game Person

View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: December 31, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »

This is probably going to be long because I have the time to make it so.

I'm Chris, and I'm a programmer from California. The first games I played were Doom II and Star Wars: Rebel Assault II at a very young age, which I believe is the reason I became interested in computing in the first place.

When I was 8 years old a demo for Nox was released and soon after the full game, which I played for hundreds of hours. After EA dropped support for the game and shut down Westwood Studios, the game's hacking community thrived. The hacking was rarely malicious, and it quickly became a part of the game. People were able to make very rudimentary maps, enable unfinished features that were disabled before the launch of the game, and entirely extend and enhance the gameplay. It was exciting and fulfilling to hack the game, and though I never did anything novel or unique, it did introduce me to memory addresses, hex values, and the internal structure of games - which sparked my interest for game development.

The internet wasn't as complete a resource as it is today for new game developers, so I spent years learning just the basics of writing code, and would quickly get frustrated and give up as soon as things stopped working. I never knew exactly what the code was doing, so I couldn't problem solve.

Fast forward to high school, and after years of slacking off and doing terribly in school, I learned that there was a two-year computer science elective for students with high GPAs. I'd already been in high school for a year and a half and had been threatened expulsion by school officials if I didn't improve my grades. I spoke to the C.S. teacher and convinced him to write me a note, which I then showed my guidance councilor, who didn't believe it was real. After an hour of arguing with her she signed me up for the class, but made me sign a contract that if I got anything lower than a C for the rest of high school that I would have to drop it. That was the only improvement contract that I didn't breach.

Being in the class changed my attitude toward school, and life, which enabled me to get great grades and graduate on time. I quit smoking pot, got a part-time job near the school, and spent as much time as I could doing programming homework and extra-curricular computer science study.

I got very good at programming. Through my two years of high school computer science and a few years studying C.S. in college I learned how to critically think and solve problems related to software development. One thing I hadn't done though was spent enough time making games, other than a couple I made for final projects in high school.

Currently I'm a full time Software Engineer in Irvine, CA, and I spend my spare time making games. I worked on Whispering Willows with Night Light Interactive for a year, and I spent some time working on Steam Bandits: Outpost with Iocaine Studios.

I'm rapidly developing games that I haven't released, and probably won't, until inspiration strikes me to work on something past the prototype phase. The purpose is to become better within different areas of game programming and push myself out of my comfort zone. I also spend quite a bit time learning about and practicing game design.

Getting a programming job at a normal software company was easy, but I'm unsatisfied because I'm not working in the game industry, and I've been burned by rejections from the local AAA scene. I'm not sure exactly where my future lies, but at the very least I do want to make a few good games for people to play before I kick the bucket. Most of my time spent here will be lurking and learning, but if I have any worthwhile input I'll be sure to put in my 2 cents. Nice to meet you all!

Currently playing: The Talos Principle, Deus Ex: HR

Favorite Shows: Doctor Who, Star Trek TNG, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Favorite Movie: 2001: A Space Odyssey
Favorite Books: ASOIAF, Hitchhiker's, Masters of Doom
Favorite Games: Nox, Half-life, Portal 2

Most used langauge: C#
Most used engine: Unity3D

I'll come back and edit this line if I ever make another portfolio or blog site. Web hosting got expensive Sad
I'll also post screenshots from my high school projects if I find them because, for how green I was, they were somewhat pretty and I'm still proud of them.  Smiley
Devious Gamers
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: January 01, 2015, 09:20:46 AM »

Hi everybody, my name is Preston Lee. I'm here representing my company, Devious Gamers. We're new to indie development but we're close to the start of the beta for our first game: I Hate My Job.

I'm the President of the company working alongside Gage Randall, our CEO. We, and 7 others make up our team of developers. We all work for free right now, though hopefully not for forever. Our goal is to start with mobile games, and then work our way up to medium sized downloadable console and PC games, and then eventually make AAA quality games coupled with a devotion to quality over money. We also have a website where we do game reviews that will eventually be built into what we hope to be a gaming social media site.

As for me? The first game I think I ever played was The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on by older siblings' SNES. Which may have set a high bar for me in terms of the quality of games I like to play.  Needless to say I spent hours playing that game and it drew me into a love of video games that has never let up.

I am extremely pumped to be doing the work that I'm in, especially as a gamer. Being able to have to opportunity to make the ideas I have come to life is the most rewarding part of the experience for me and I look forward to letting people experience what we've come up with.

Anyway, please check out our website, facebook page, twitter, etc. I'll link to them below for anyone who is interested.

http://www.deviousgamers.com
https://www.facebook.com/deviousgamersofficial
https://www.facebook.com/ihatemyjobgame
https://twitter.com/DeviousGamers
CakeDrake
Level 0

ayy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8185 on: January 01, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »

Hello, I'm a 15 year old guy from Denmark. I enjoy art and creating games.
I got into gaming when I was about 3 years old, with my kindergardens PS2 (pretty cool kindergarden) that only had crash bandicoot wrath of cortex. Wich is also one of my favorite games:

One of my recent favorites has been LOZ oracles of ages. I really like the exploration part of the game, but not so much the dungeons:

and one of my alltime favorite games is kirby super star ultra. The animation, the colors, cuteness and combat. All of them I really love:

And that's pretty much it  Tongue

Take a look at my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=63093.0
JoUBG
Level 0

Game design, from birth to death

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8186 on: January 01, 2015, 12:39:26 PM »

Hi all, my name's Jo.

I started designing games on cardboard at about age 5 after playing Soloman's Key on NES. Then after playing a bit of Yu-Gi-Oh in my teens I upgraded to the vastly superior 'paper' to create my own card game. I made advanced rules, and created over 300 cards by hand all for the sake of designing my own card game. Later in high school I created a much better design of that game for digital use, and upon entering college for computer-science I started programming and doing my own art/sound.

8 years later I've 'published' about 35 flash games, out of my nearly 500 prototypes.
To give an idea of the things I've done, here's a completely random pile of screenshots/thumbnails related to my games:

... That's about 1%  Cool

Though for the last 3 years I've been working on:

Which can be found here: https://apps.facebook.com/chess-evolved

That sums me up, I guess.  Blink _ Blink
GekidoRising
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8187 on: January 01, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »

Aaaah, I've been waiting months to do this! I feel like I can't be the only person here who decided that it would be timely to create this post right at the start of the new year, and as I can see, that's pretty much exactly how it panned out, but regardless, I'm someone who always likes making the very first of anything special, so without further babbling, let's get started!

Hello, my name is Nicholas MacDonald, and I am, as you would expect, another hopeful, fresh-out-of-school, independent developer who wants to take on the world. Now, I am fully aware, especially after browsing these forums, that I am by no means a great programmer, or even a good artist. Unlike a lot of people I see on these forums, I don't have too much to show for. Really, I am no different from the thousands of people who share my dream so I really have no idea if I'm capable of going all the way...

But I can try.

Anyway, before I get too deep into the schmaltzy stuff, I really should cut to the chase and properly introduce myself. I am a recent graduate from the University of Prince Edward Island with a degree in computer science and a specialization in video game design.

Shortly after graduation, over the course of eight months, I began programming a 2D Graphics/Input/Sound Engine which I've referred to as FIRE2D (mostly because I thought it would make a really cool namespace). Creating it has been a fantastic learning experience. I've developed a great appreciation for having my own personal engine, even if it does have a lot of strange behaviors and quirks, and to those who may be reading this, I deeply recommend it if you have the time!

Finally, three months ago, I began development on my pride and joy, my very first official real game, currently dubbed Project Epicenter. While I haven't made any formal announcements on what the game will be, part of the reason I've decided to sign up now was because I'm actually VERY close to making that announcement, probably a matter of weeks, possibly days (but probably weeks).

Now, I could obviously go a little more in depth on what's going on with these projects in terms of features, but I was never one for ample amounts of text despite the amount I already have here right now. So for that reason, I present to thee:

My Youtube Channel which contains feature demonstrations for FIRE2D, "Let's Program"-esque videos on the development of Project Epicenter, and finally, mindless ramblings of me waving my arms around and yelling at nothing! (Also, somewhere under my username, there should probably be a link to my dev blog which contains essentially the exact same content).

Finally, I'd like to say, I'm absolutely thrilled to finally be taking this step, because it's been too long that I've been isolating myself in a hole of development. I really look forward to interacting with other people's games and ideas, as well as asking my own questions (for which I have very very many). Most of all, I look forward to all the mistakes I may make as well as the things I might learn on the road ahead!
Circuitbomb
Level 0

Stache

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8188 on: January 02, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »

Hey everyone, I'm Dustin, but I commonly handle myself as Circuitbomb.  I'm a web developer from Ohio, USA and I've recently taken a dive into learning more about game development (programming and art).  My new years resolution is to build a small roguelike narrative or similar by the end of 2015.  I'm here to learn and meet others  Gentleman

I'm a coffee junkie, and have a tendency to stay up late and get my sleeping schedules all wonky and backwards.

I've been working on some small projects I'd like to share.  I have been working on a Starbound Mod for a while now, and am aiming to update it sometime this month.  Also here is some art I made that can be found on my personal site (I'll link site in profile or something)

2013 pic of my Starbound mod (ill put together a newer one soon)
NigelMNZ
Level 0

Videogames?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8189 on: January 02, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »

Hello all. I'm Nigel, an indie dev from NYC. I usually find myself making games, but I am also known to fiddle with web development now and then.

I believe I started programming games about 3-4 years ago, but I've been interested in playing/designing games far before that...

So yeah, have a look at my projects at http://nigelmnz.com/, and I look foward to meeting you all!
StoryOfMyRightHand
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8190 on: January 02, 2015, 11:14:46 AM »

Hi all, my name is Phil and I'm hoping to become a game developer. This site was referred to me by a person in /r/gamedev.

I have an educational background in history and I work in a library but I love playing games, love game art, and listening to 8bit music. After looking at my current status, I feel like I'm wasting my life. As a result of my mid-youth crisis, I want to develop video games. Also, my inner child has been nagging me for quite a while.

Favorite series: Fable, Zelda, Smash Bros, and Mario. I also like the Overlord series. Since I do not make that much money, I play a TON of flash games.

I'm hoping to become independent with video games. I plan on writing a couple of mangas as well if I have the time.

I am using unity 3d and playmaker to develop my game.

ganondorfan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: January 03, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »

HI, Im Paulo, my english isn't so good, but lets do it.

Im new in the game development world, nowdays I develop for mobile.

Here follows the teaser of the game Im working on:

Here follow some pics:

Some sprite development.

The link for the current version released:
LINK: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jumpo.build.jumpo

Im need some feedback about the design and the new ways to improve it.
Any kind of help is welcome!

Thanks guys!
gcu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: January 04, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »

Hello. I am GCU. It is short for Game Creation Unit. I am obligatorily introducing myself.

Given my name, and the context of this forum, certain aspects of me are a given and I will not dwell on that.

Instead, here are some made up words, fresh from my Word Up-making Subdivision:

* Norb.
* Spar-gabbot.
* Impelsity.
* Murgle. (As in the verb, not the Post-stone age musical act. As in: Ugh, my foot has contracted a vile disease, but I don't want to just murgle it.)

Bye!
DJWeinbaum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8193 on: January 04, 2015, 07:04:25 PM »

Hey everyone,

I quit my job in games to try my hand at making my own game. I'm a 3d environment artist by trade, beginning programmer by necessity (I'm really loving it!), and now a game designer as well since I'm making my own thing. Now working from home, I want to be able to converse and stay inspired by other game devs. Additionally I want to start a dev log here to help keep me motivated, and perhaps get a few more eye balls on my game.

excited to be part of the community,
Danny

AlexMartial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: January 05, 2015, 07:17:21 AM »

My name Alex, I'm leading and representing the team of like-minded and enthusiasts, which has been working on creating of the indie-game “Sol-Ark”.

Sol-Ark – it’s a space 2D (Top-Down) real-time strategy with some elements of Sand-Box and Rogue-Like games. Main technology - Adobe Actionscript 3.0.

The creation of this project was inspired by such games as Dwarf Fortress, Laser Squad, Faster than Light and Minecraft.

We have already been working for 8+ months on the project (10-12 hours per day). The game is in early prototype phase at the moment.

We are going to take a part in Steam Greenlight in near two-three weeks and Kickstarter after that.

The team has good experience and consists of nine members - 1) GameDesigner/producer; 2) Lead programmer; 3) 2D Lead illustrator / concept-artist; 4) Writer/scenarist/second game designer; 5) Composer/sound designer; 6) Community manager / web-designer; 7) second programmer; Cool web-designer; 9) third programmer;

All of us have come from other branches of business. We want to try create some good game by our own hands.

Here, we are happy to be a part of community and take participation in discussions and forums.

Our game official website - http://solark-game.com/index.php

and IndieDB page - http://www.indiedb.com/games/sol-ark-2d-space-rts-sandbox-rogue-like

Feel free to contact us!
SoulEye
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8195 on: January 05, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »

Hi there!

I'm Magnus. I make music for games (most notably VVVVVV a few years back), and am transitioning to creating a game or two myself while still composing for others. So that's why I'm here! To get tips and pointers, and perhaps hire someone! My stuff can be found at www.souleye.se if you need something in the background when coding Smiley
autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8196 on: January 05, 2015, 01:38:08 PM »

Wizard My name is Justin and today today I feel like hermit/warlock/interstellar-embryo. Strange but true. I'm writing for a game called Sol-Ark with Alexmartial. It's gonna pew pew pew your face off. And give you space worms. I hate space worms, especially when they crawl out of my cat's anus. So it goes. Come yell at me on twitter if you'd like. I'm lonely there @ephellstrom.

IdemFlumenBis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: January 05, 2015, 04:50:03 PM »

Hello folks!

To be honest from the very beginning, I must state that apart from advertising my game there is not much of a reason I've joined the forum. The game is called like my nickname - Idem Flumen Bis. It means same river twice in Latin. The game seeks to model a fluid, dynamic, breathing world, a world where, as the name suggests, you can't bathe in the same river. Basically, IFB is an openworld/sandbox RPG/RTS. It will be a Mount&Blade meets Europa Universalis, with some Total War thrown in. It has other influences too. Apart from my friends who offer me moral support, I'm practically a one man team. If any of you guys would like to offer me a hand, or if you would just like to share your advice/opinion/randomcrazyrant, it's more than welcome. Drop an eye here please - http://idemflumenbis.wordpress.com/

Apart from working on this project, I'm passionate about history, particularly premodern economic/social history. I'm also interested in participating/developing open-source community-based solutions to social issues. For instance, I've recently heard about hackerspaces. This month I plan to visit two local hackerspaces (I'm from Romania, where the movement isn't so pervasive).

I hope to having some interesting talks around here. Buh-bye.
GregBTGS
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8198 on: January 06, 2015, 07:24:23 AM »

Hi guys!
I'm working on a MMO/RPG in spare time between coursework assignments, I've also decided to blog about my progress so that others can critisise and help my knoweldge expand and help my game improve
I'm joining here so I can get a little more immersed and in the indie community :D
check out my blog here: http://bowtiegamestudios.com/blog/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:39:29 AM by GregBTGS » Logged

spacepuppateer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: January 07, 2015, 04:22:20 AM »

Hi I'm Alex. I've lurked here for ages, finally got some games worked out and ready to share them with the community for feedback and hopefully, love. I'm part of a small game dev team and we're all still learning and trying to make the best with what we get. I'm usually the "idea guy", the one everyone thinks of disdainfully but I try to keep the team together and pull weight where necessary. Hope you like the stuff we show. Cheers!
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic