Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:57:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1952525 times)
ermrk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: March 08, 2015, 08:37:54 AM »

Hi, I am Petr Marek. I am from Czech republic. I have been fascinated by computers sine I was small boy. But we didn't have computer until start of this millennia, so I lived long six years without it. Yes, they were tough years (just kidding  Corny Laugh).

I grown up on games like Age of Empires I and II, Operation Flashpoint and Worms: Armageddon. Operation Flashpoint is my the best game.

Games which I also love are Bastion, Braid, Stronghold, GTA: SA, every Call of Duty...

I started to learn programming when I was on secondary school. I have made several freeware games since that (mostly with my friends). You can download them form www.peordgames.comehere.cz (sorry, webpages are Czech, English translation is in progress).

I study university (programming of course), and I am still dreaming about job in game industry.

I am also boy scout!

The one on the left ^
Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8381 on: March 08, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »

Hello everyone,

My name is Kevin, and I'm a professional programmer and HUGE game enthusiast!  My gaming career started in a world that I'm sure many of you are familiar with.

After the many times I've obliterated Mario's World, I quickly moved on to bigger and brighter (darker?) things!

The more I played games, the more I realized how much I enjoyed them.  Every genre, every console, everything I played I loved.  I found myself analyzing games as I was playing them, figuring out what made them tick, learning about what I enjoyed the most about each game, until finally I understood that ANYONE could make a game.  Eventually, I came to learn of some magical tool called DarkBASIC, which let me convert words into video games!  This sorcery was a godsend to me, as it turned out, I very much enjoyed programming.  Eventually I moved on to trying different things such as Java, LUA, C, C++, etc etc... with the overarching goal of creating video games!

As of last year, I graduated with a bachelors degree in Computer Science with a minor in Game Design!  Despite my minor however, I ended up hooking up with a software company, and as fate would have it I am not a game designer, but rather an automation engineer.  (Whomp Whomp) Although I love my job very much, I still YEARN to create games, or at least help with what knowledge I've accumulated over the years.

And that's when I learned about this magical place!

That's right!  I found that Twitch.tv is the PERFECT outlit for me to help out aspiring indie game developers.  I've ALWAYS loved the indie gaming scene, it's always featured some of the greatest creativity I've seen in the gaming medium.  Everything from big blockbusters like Braid to lesser known masterpieces such as You Have To Win The Game, the indie gaming scene has always been my favorite place to be.  Thanks to Twitch, I was able to create Tryout Tuesday, a show where I can take a ton of indie games that are still in development, try them out live and give constructive feedback along with my audience on the game in its current state.  It's not the same as game development, but it's a way for me to give back through feedback and exposure, and feel like I'm helping.

After 7 weeks of doing Tryout Tuesday, the response has been HUGE!  Many developers have already made changes to their games based on my feedback, and that makes me feel absolutely wonderful.  If anyone here has a game that they'd like feedback on, please consider submitting it for Tryout Tuesday!  I'm looking forward to getting even more involved with the indie community and helping out any way I can. Smiley

Spidi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8382 on: March 09, 2015, 12:37:13 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm Tamás Karsai, an aspiring hobbyist game developer from Hungary, and I've been lurking on TIG for like EONS!
I would say I'm a "bit" asocial/shy so this kept from registering and posting, but it was always among the first things to do on my list, when I finally get serious about game development, to take part in this vibrant community.

So first and foremost, thanks for all of you for everything I've got from you! Even hiding in the shadows of this forum felt wonderful Smiley, it was a great motivator and I've learned a lot!

While growing up I was playing too much Smiley. As a result I slowly started to understand how games tick, and started to enjoy tinkering with tools to modify them. Back than I fantasized about working in the art department of a game studio, since I had solid 2d and 3d art skills, at least I thought. But as time for choosing university approached, I realized, that I'm not sure if I want to be a professional artist or if I would actually like it on a daily based. My grades were good, I really enjoyed and understood math, so I went onto becoming a programmer.

Ever since, I never looked back, I really enjoy programming on a daily basis, and I make a decent living as a software engineer (tough art stayed as a little hobby Smiley). I also believe that in the 5 short years of my professional career I became a really good and reliable engineer, so I feel it was a good choice. The only "problem" with this, is that I'm not working on games Sad. Don't get me wrong, I like working on software solutions, especially when they solve daily problems of others, but my interests have changed a little throughout these years. As university went by, my gaming "addiction" slowly evaporated (only playing a few short hours every week or two), but interest and free-time spent working on game tech and designing game rules and systems has grown exceptionally.

Game development slowly became my number one thing, but until the last couple of months it strictly stayed as a "free time spent well" kind of thing.

Good news is, that I've finally completed a game project this week, so I'm in a constant "YES! LEVEL UP" state right now (could not finish any kind of side project for years Sad). As soon as my mind clears a little I will put some cohesive sentences together about it and will post it with some screens and a link to it. I'm kind of in a need of feedback, to know how it turned out.

I'm planning to pour more time into this "side" profession of mine in the future. I think in the coming days I will jump into my next game project, I'm sure we will see each other in the DevLogs section Wink.

Br.

pk
Level 0

Dev

View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: March 09, 2015, 04:59:06 AM »

Hi. I'm pk.

I've been coding for a decade or so and started making game in my spare time a few years ago and recently started my first major project.

I mostly program but can do some minor 2D art when needed
Thorwaldsson
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: March 09, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »

Sup People, The name is Thorwaldsson and I've been making games for the last 5 years-ish.
I'm doing the Producer/Management deal right now, but I'm a designer at the core.

Working for a small indie studio called Toadman Interractive, we've previously made a Killing Floor game for the OUYA an are currently porting that game to other devices(seriously the android development backend makes me wanna die at time).

Now, back to lurking.

//Thorwaldsson
Tony Cordes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8385 on: March 09, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »

Hi, all, my name is Tony, a musician/composer with, much like 99.73% of you (do not attempt to find where I got that figure.  It's confidential), a love of gaming that I've had for most of my life.
  In my case, it started at the age of six, constantly pestering my older cousin, for the duration of a family reunion, to let me play Super Mario Land on his Gameboy.  Thus began a long-lasting obsession with Nintendo, which my parents would not spend the money to slake.  After two years I couldn't take it any more and spent a summer going door-to-door, peddling middle-aged lady novelties like dog-shaped salt shakers and lace-girdled coat hangers until I made enough commissions to buy myself a used NES with Castlevania, Metroid, Super Mario Bros (+ Duck Hunt), and Dragon Warrior.  Metroid pretty much became my favorite game until I discovered the Ultima series a couple of years later.
  Some other notable favorites from my childhood were Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, and Mortal Kombat II, albeit in a very frustrating, masochistic sort of way, as my best friend could hand my backside back to me 9.6 out of 10 rounds on his worst day; if "Finish Him!" showed up on the screen and I still had control of my character, it meant that Andy was currently in the bathroom.  I also loved the Sonic games on the Genesis (I still love playing those from time to time) and spent one summer making drawings inspired by Vectorman as opposed to being sociable.
  It really didn't take long at all until I wanted to make my own video games, or at least be involved in the making and design of them, as my complete lack of interest in programming languages rather deterred me from taking that up as a hobby until I came across RPG Maker in my mid-teens.  I also came across Cakewalk Express near that time and got to the making of hundreds of MIDI songs, although most of them ended up as accompaniment to my guitar and singing, as my creative interests moved away from the rather daunting task of complete video game design.
  Well, many years and a college education in recording technology later, I'm getting tired of turning a wrench for a living (well, more to the point I'm getting tired of doing something not musical for a living), and want to make music for video games.  I came across this fine website and here we are!  I'm still in the process of building a portfolio of music, the content of which can be found on my Soundcloud page (as well as many other songs that I'd love to know are being listened to Well, hello there!).  Good evening, all, and thanks for reading!

"Great!!  You fulfilled your mission.  It will revive peace in space.  But, it may be invaded by the other metroid.  Pray for a true peace in space!"
SnowBiteGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: March 11, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »

Hey guys,

my name's Antony, I am a freelance artist and nowadays an indie developer.
You can watch my works here: https://www.artstation.com/artist/anfedart

I play games since 10 years old^^

Cheers

Draw or die
mattrified
Level 0

Mattrified Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8387 on: March 11, 2015, 12:29:43 PM »

Hi, my name's Matt or Mattrified (gamertag / nickname invented by my sister and her friend during high school).

I'm an wannabe part-time indie developer from Pittsburgh, PA.  I am also currently employed by Schell Games and have been there for over 6 years.  I made an account here a LONG time ago at the suggestion of a former coworker -- who might be on this forum -- and then completely forgot about it, but I finally decided to come out of lurker mode and try and be more active on forums in general.

So far I've only released three indie titles -- only two if you don't count sequels:

I like fighting games (and parentheses apparently) and mostly try and focus on that genre as well as more action-oriented games (even though Convextrix is just a match-N).  Anyway, I felt it was important to start with an intro post.  I'll probably start a dev log soon as I'm trying to find ways to get more feedback on my work as I work as well as give it to others.

Oh, and here are some links:

Website:  http://www.mattrifiedgames.com/ (a wip, slightly improved over my old one thanks to WordPress)
Blog:  http://mattrifiedgames.blogspot.com/ (just posted about GDC15 actually)
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/MattrifiedGames (opinions are my own, blah, blah, blah!)

Anyway, thanks and hello!
glitchg
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: March 11, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »

Hi everyone.

You can call me Glitch. My background is in computer science, specifically in computer vision and image processing, but working with games has been a lifelong dream.

I'm currently working on an HTML5 game called Gravity Courier. I hope to be able to show it to you guys soon. Smiley
Hyiero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: March 11, 2015, 07:34:25 PM »

Hey guys,

My name is Brandon I am a code junky and wanna be indie developer on my spare time.

That is all. I am boring!
SCgames
Level 0

We make games, so you don't have to.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8390 on: March 12, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »

Hi everyone!

My name is Tyler and I'm at the in-house composer at Something Classic Games. We are currently working on a retro 16-bit rpg entitled "Shadows of Adam".

My "day job" is as a professional trumpet player and composer. I record in studios, do live gigs, tour and lead my own jazz group. Game making has always been a hobby of mine so I'm stoked I get to work with this team in development of our game.

You can reach me on Twitter:
Something Classic Games: https://twitter.com/SomethingClassc

Tyler Mire Big Band: https://twitter.com/TylerMireBB

Thanks!

Indie game developer composed of industry pros. Working on a 16-bit era RPG titled Shadows of Adam.
bennewhouse
Level 0

I invest in games. No seriously, I do!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8391 on: March 13, 2015, 04:55:45 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm not a developer, but I've been playing all my life and I'm now trying to become an investor in indie games. My Word!

I still have a lot to learn about the business side of games, but I'm hoping to start on a limited, per-project basis, following the standard, public terms of the amazing Indie Fund.

I'm looking for "traditional" (good god I can't believe I have to say that), "pay once and play" games. It's okay if they make sense on mobile but I want games that are developed with PC / Consoles in mind, with a full single player experience. No strong genre preference, though since I'm very new to this I'd like to start with projects that have a more modest scope.

I'm currently playing Risk of Rain at home, and Frozen Synapse in the office bathroom.

And I used to write this sad, sad blog: http://resignedgamer.blogspot.com/

That's me, I guess?

Ben Newhouse
Abnormal Ape
Level 0

Monkey Business

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8392 on: March 13, 2015, 05:43:29 AM »

Hi,

I'm not a developer yet, but I'm developing a manager / simulation game while teaching myself to code. I've written my first "hello world" about two months ago but I'm putting in a couple of hours into learning and coding every day. It would be a dream come true to actually make a living with this and I'm giving it a try; I already own a small internet business that doesn't require many hours per week so I have the time and monetary situation to just go for it - worst case I will have learned a fair amount of programming, still better than cracking the 2k hours at EUIV!

I'm a freedom loving nomad, lived in five different countries in the last 5 years and can't imagine ever working for the man, I'd rather be broke and free to do what I want, which is what I've been for the first 20+ years of my life before I found online poker. I was too late to take part in the insane boom of 2005 and get independently wealthy but it helped me get out of poverty and starting my own business, which is still funding my life today (I gave up poker a couple of years ago, too many sharks, not enough fish. Too many MCs, not enough mics, too many indies, not enough gamers?).

I'm making good progress learning programming and am confident that I'll actually finish this game, it's going to be unique and not very shitty, I promise (I've already found a cool artist, so at the very least it'll be pretty to look at). The stereotypical newbie that I am, I won't do a devlog or tell more about it until I've progressed far enough to be confident in being able to finish it before anyone else stealing my precious idea.

Programming truly is magic and having "what would be fun" being something I actually think for money would be - literally - awesome.

I hope this dream will come true, and I hope the same for everyone of you, so I'm closing with a line stolen from the greatest rapper of all time:

May one day everybody reading this get rich!

Oh, here is a picture of my gf and our dog:

DrowningMonkeys
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: March 13, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »

Hey there! Time to introduce myself.

my name's Josh Chudnovsky, I'm 36, and i've been making games for over 20 years now.  After working for several years for a mobile company called Blue Heat Games, i branched out on my own to start an indie, called Drowning Monkeys.  Our first (and second) title is "Dungeon Crawlers" - the story of ghostbusters set in medieval fantasy.  I love making and playing games, I'm glad i've gotten to do it professionally for as long as i have.

Looking forward to getting in touch with all of you!
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8394 on: March 13, 2015, 12:39:27 PM »

Hey everyone! I've yet to do this so here goes!

Been a long time reader, haven't done much posting but I'm changing that now. It's really inspiring to see the great work everyone is doing, and I'm looking forward to helping others in the community as they have helped me in the past!

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
4Nocturnals
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8395 on: March 14, 2015, 06:31:57 PM »

Hello I am Trevor from Alaska, I have been gaming and in love with computers and tech since i was 7.
Started off on donkey kong and joist along time ago Smiley and pretty much tons of games since.

A few years myself and 3 of my brother starting putting a indie team together, we are now working on our first title.

Gaming and making games has been my life and looking forward to meeting you all and enjoying the community together.
Glad to be here.

alfoux
Level 0

Independant French Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8396 on: March 15, 2015, 01:14:34 AM »

Hello,

I'm Alexis Hassler and I'm French so be cool with my english boys :-)

I'm a french teacher but I draw since two years around. I've decided recently to create a visual novel based on Franz Kafka, the writer. At first, it was a Ren'Py game but I've become more ambitious about this project. Now, we are three, a musician and a programer (and me : writing, design, etc.). It's my first game so I've no experience, I'm a gamer since I'm a kid but it's my first creation.

So, I hope to have your feebacks. See you soon.

A link to see my work : https://alfouxdessine.wordpress.com/

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
AndreaL
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »

'lo everyone.

I'm Andrea, from Italy, i'm an amateur programmer and I'm just starting now with my journey in making games.
In my day by day i'm an IT technician and a system admin.
I hope to find guidance in my newb days ahead and give back to the community once i'll be veteran enough.

Glad to tread these grounds.

Andre
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8398 on: March 15, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »

Hey, welcome everyone!

Hello I am Trevor from Alaska, I have been gaming and in love with computers and tech since i was 7. Started off on donkey kong and joist along time ago Smiley and pretty much tons of games since.

Cool to see another Alaskan!

ThilDuncan
Level 0

Indie Developer at Ghost Town Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8399 on: March 16, 2015, 02:07:59 AM »

Hi!

My name's Phil, I'm an indie developer based in Cambridge, UK.

I worked as a Senior Designer at Frontier Developments for 6 years, but I've recently decided to take the plunge and start my own independent game studio with a friend.

We're hard at work on our first project which is a 4 player co-operative cooking game. We're really looking forward to sharing our development journey with you all, not to mention getting involved with all the awesome work that takes place on the forums!

Can't wait to meet you all : )

- Phil

Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic