Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:16:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211238 times)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1720 on: August 07, 2014, 11:53:15 PM »

76 Fallacies by Michael LaBossiere - pretty good so far, he details common fallacies in arguments and statements, this sort of stuff is super-useful in the information age; so much noise!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
ink.inc
« Reply #1721 on: August 14, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »

inio asano's new manga, "Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction"

'a dystopian slice of life story about adolescent girls'

basically the god of manga's take on the k-on genre

best piece of shit i've read all year

link here: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/dead_dead_demon_s_dededededestruction/c001/
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1722 on: August 14, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »

I'm reading the first Game of Thrones book
Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed No No NO No No NO No No NO No No NO No No NO No No NO Apoplectic Apoplectic Apoplectic Apoplectic

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1723 on: August 16, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »

The Journey of Beagle - Charles Darwin.

I'm a bit surprised how easy it is to read the book and Darwin's occasional subtle humor. I suppose I'm getting mature enough to read some non 1900-> literature.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:40:32 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1724 on: August 17, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »

A few comics - Drugs & Wires, and Hacker Files.

ColonelHugh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:29 AM »

At The Mountains of Madness and other stories, for inspiration on something i'm working on. So far it's a really fun read.

Dangerously Suave and eccentric to boot.
atsiitech
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1726 on: August 18, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »

Philip K. Dick Short story collection

Just finished Scanner Darkly.

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1727 on: August 20, 2014, 06:01:41 AM »

I Am Legend.

Loved the movie but I think the book is even better (as they tend to be).

Its interesting how as a game dev you start to look at everything in the context of games. Reading the book all I could think is that I would love to play a game where you build up a base and supplies during the day and then get attacked at night.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1728 on: August 20, 2014, 06:49:13 AM »

Tough Calls by Allan Leighton (business) and Eden by Tim Smit (biology + project planning + architecture)

Blambo
« Reply #1729 on: August 20, 2014, 11:47:48 AM »

being and nothingness by sartre

it is so god damn dense and some of it is ridiculous
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: August 21, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »

I've read my day's worth.

Have you?

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 07, 2015, 06:33:50 AM »

i'm reading a music book for the first time in a long time, namely david stubbs' new krautrock book future days.

it's pretty good so far, tries to do more than just rehash the same old "krautrock was ahead of its time and influenced post punk and techno" narrative and actually tries to go into the sociocultural background that led to these bands being as experimental as they were. it also (consciously?) avoids the fanboyishness of julian cope's book and goes for a more "scholarly" approach so that's cool.

one weak point so far is the chapter about kraftwerk which just recycles every tired music press cliche about the band and also seems to be written from a more purely british perspective than the rest of the book. i mean to be fair, kraftwerk are the only band stubbs didn't interview for the book (u know, them being notoriously interview shy and all), so that's probably why.

the 2nd weak point is of course that the retroactively created "krautrock" genre does not accurately reflect the 70s german rock scene at all (the author even acknowledges this). but otoh i'd rather read long essays on can, faust, neu, kraftwerk etc than on 2nd rate jazz rock bands, so i guess it's actually a good thing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:41:28 AM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1732 on: January 07, 2015, 10:25:41 AM »

Just finished the Regeneration trilogy - I was brought to tears by the shear immensity of it, Pat Barker has an amazing grasp of language and holy moly WW1 was messed up!

Edit - lots of books since the last post, I just forgot about the thread :S

MrBones
« Reply #1733 on: January 07, 2015, 09:20:23 PM »

I'm reading James Joyce's Ulysses. Currently halfway through part one.
Wolf_FGR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 09, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »

I'm reading "Capital in The 21st Century". Biased but good nonetheless. Should be read en masse.
tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1735 on: January 11, 2015, 08:08:35 PM »

being and nothingness by sartre

it is so god damn dense and some of it is ridiculous

No kidding. When I was younger I was *seriously* obsessed with that book. I was convinced that by reading it, and concentrating hard enough, I would unlock the secrets of the universe. I wore out two copies. I was a weird kid. And I seriously think that book warped my mind.

I picked it up not too long ago, and was surprised that a lot of it made a lot more sense than it did back then. And yeah, a lot of it is ridiculous too.

Myself, I am reading The Talisman by Peter Straub and Steven King. I generally stick to lighter fare these days.

tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1736 on: January 11, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »

I'm reading "Capital in The 21st Century". Biased but good nonetheless. Should be read en masse.

This seems like something I should pick up. Capital is still a very mysterious topic for me.

By any chance, have you read "Why Nations Fail"? That was the last book I read that made me feel my understanding of the world increased.

Riku
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1737 on: January 12, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »

Creativity Inc.

I normally stick almost purely to sci-fi/fantasy novels, but this has been a really good read thus far.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1738 on: January 13, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »

Thought I'd give Stephen King another try, read nightmares and dreamscapes years ago and really enjoyed it, but for some reason I've not returned.

11.22.63 is incredible. Apparently he started it when very young but wasn't talented enough to finish it, returned to it recently after perfecting the art and my word is it amazing! Someone should (and probably will) make this into an amazing game about time travel. Can't give anything away mind Smiley

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1739 on: January 13, 2015, 10:40:35 AM »

Ah, I keep forgetting about this thread.

I'm currently re-reading Neuromancer by William Gibson, thanks to my recent return to obsession with all things cyberpunk. It's a fun story.

I've recently read two books by China Mieville; The City & The City and Perdido Street Station. I read TC&TC first, and enjoyed it immensely. It's not necessarily an easy book to read - the central concept being essentially impossible to suspend your disbelief for - but a good detective story and, well I enjoyed that weird concept.

Followed up with PSS, and while there were similar elements of weirdness and no small helping of imagination (handlingers!?), it didn't grip me in the same way. Less likeable characters, for one. New Crobuzon as a setting was quite nice, though.

olücæbelel
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic