Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:16:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGrimoire: Manastorm - Indie multiplayer wizard FPS (Steam Early Access)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Grimoire: Manastorm - Indie multiplayer wizard FPS (Steam Early Access)  (Read 12729 times)
Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »

Grimoire is a PC multiplayer shooter where wizards battle in a dark medieval fantasy world for prestige and power using unique and powerful spells. Though inspired by many popular FPS games, Grimoire also features MOBA style spells including everything from devastating “ultimate” attacks to specialized class-based passive skills to customizable classes.

We aim to combine the best of FPS with the unique classes and abilities found in MOBA games into fun and engaging wizard combat that rewards precise aim as well as strategic skills and teamwork. Although Grimoire has a total of seven planned game modes we have decided to focus primarily on our three favorites for the games initial release: Conquest, Co-Op Survival, and Arena.

For more information about Grimoire please visit our website
Or view our Early Access trailer

!

Hey everyone!

I'm part of a three person independent game studio called Omniconnection working on our first game. Really happy to be here and starting this thread especially when yall have such amazing icons.
 Wizard
As a starting project, for a new team, tackling a multiplayer shooter has been quite difficult and we have run into a ton of issues (As I am sure everyone does when making even a simple game). Despite this we have managed to get the game into a very playable and relatively bug-free state. We also currently have 5 classes ingame, 7 Selectable spells, 7 maps, 3 Game modes, and a single-player combat preview demo (Which we will be releasing with the start of our Kickstarter and Greenlight campaigns this September). For the next few weeks we are focusing on the upcoming marketing campaigns, polishing our existing content, gathering feedback, and as always doing Alpha tests.

We all really enjoy the game and one of our main reasons for creating a prototype first was to make sure that we all believed Grimoire was fun enough and worth the community's time before releasing. We now have that game and we hope that you will join us in our future Alpha tests.

Best,
Brent Caulfield
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:57:54 PM by Brent » Logged

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »

Not really a fan of FPS but this one looks cool! Great job!  Hand Clap

Bobert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »

looks really fun! i'm surprised i haven't seen hardly any shooters that use magic instead of guns before, honestly. i like that you're trying to encourage teamwork

oh and that skeleton is sick as hell

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 01:54:40 AM »

I hope the magic will be impactful and powerful.
You can look at Lichdom Battlemage on how to do magic horribly shit.
You just fling glowing bolts rapidly, with no force to them. Its kinda worst than Skyrim's magic, which isn't easy to do.
Sjonsson
Level 0

Multi-hatter. Level design get's the love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:17:34 AM »

Wohoo! Had this idea myself and it was somewhat explored in Dark Messiah, but not as PvP. Looking good, keep up the good work. I will be lurking around!

Unity-chan is that ex that you'll never get over but on the same time will always regret.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 03:17:07 AM »

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I love Chivalry: MW and always wanted to play with a mage class in that game, this looks perfect! Beautiful, is this UE4?

justincavenagh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:51:51 AM »

This looks really rad, getting a Jedi Knight 2 vibe from the way the action was playing out in the trailer.
What were some of your main inspirations for this?

anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »

I love the concept of spells-only weaponry.

Turnover @ Steam
Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:05 AM »

Wow! Huge thanks to everyone for taking a look and for the great feedback.

We will releasing a single-player demo with our Kickstarter and Greenlight campaigns in September. As an early prototype of our much more complex future co-op mode, waves of enemies spawn and attack an objective the player must defend. This allows people to check out the combat system and selectable spells without the headache of running a open multiplayer test (Our multiplayer tests are currently only available during specific times and days which we announce on our site.)

I hope the magic will be impactful and powerful.
You can look at Lichdom Battlemage on how to do magic horribly shit.
You just fling glowing bolts rapidly, with no force to them. Its kinda worst than Skyrim's magic, which isn't easy to do.

None of us have had the chance to try Lichdom but we love the games art style and we hope to get to a similar level of quality post-Kickstarter. Currently the Time-to-Kill in our game can be less than 2 seconds so the spells certainly feel powerful to me. However with multiple ways to outplay and counter your opponent (Generally through one or both of the selectable spells players can use to customize their class) the average TTK is higher than that for the average player. This is something we are currently very active in working on as we want the combat to feel responsive and engaging.

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I love Chivalry: MW and always wanted to play with a mage class in that game, this looks perfect! Beautiful, is this UE4?

Funny you mention Chivalry as we have a ton of respect for Torn Banner Studios and what they have accomplished with that game. The three of us love playing Chivalry and often times use them as a great example of the level of quality we hope to achieve with Grimoire.

The game is currently being made in UDK. When UE4 was announced back in mid May we had a huge decision to make but ultimately decide to stay with UDK as we already had so much time invested and were on a extremely tight schedule and budget. At that point taking a month or more to port the game as it was then just wouldn't have worked out financially.

With all that said we are huge fans of UE4 (And the Unreal Engine in general) and are very excited to switch over for future games.

This looks really rad, getting a Jedi Knight 2 vibe from the way the action was playing out in the trailer.
What were some of your main inspirations for this?

The voice actor we are currently working with, Kyle Johnson, actually mentioned something very similar in regards to Jedi Knight 2. To me that's a huge compliment as I absolutely loved that game!

The main inspirations for Grimoire come from a lot of different places. Kyle, Chan, and Myself are all really into the FPS genre but we also have spent a ton of time playing MOBA games. One thing we really wanted to do with Grimoire was try and combine the awesome mechanics behind MOBA style spells with our favorite FPS games.

This is a tough question so I'll break it down into three sections: Concept, Game modes, Spells.

Concept: I personally grew up playing Heretic and it was a huge inspiration for the initial concept of Grimoire (We started off as "Quake with wizard spells"). More recently though we looked at games like Skyrim and wondered why there wasn't a multiplayer aspect to it.

Game modes: We are currently focused on our Conquest mode in which players capture control points throughout the map to gain points. First team to 1500 points wins. Points are gained by controlling certain areas of the map and a large bonus when every point is captured by a team after which players respawn and control points are set once again to neutral. Main inspiration for this mode comes from games like Day of Defeat, The Battlefield series, and Team Fortress 2. We also have two other "main" game modes planned: Arena and Safeguard (Co-op survival). We have a very unique idea planned for Arena but for now I will just say it is designed for the more "competitive" type players and is inspired by games like Counter-Strike with multiple rounds per match and one death per round per player. For Safeguard we are hoping to be as fun as games like Left for Dead, CoD Zombies, and Killing Floor.

Spells: Inspiration for our main class spells, passives, and selectable spells comes classic FPS stuff like Sniper rifles, Assault rifles, grenades. But as that can only make for a limited number of interesting spells we have also looked to our favorite abilities from MOBA games like Dota 2 and League of Legends for inspiration.

Again I just want to say thanks to everyone for the feedback and comments they are very much appreciated and we hope you will join us for our upcoming Alpha tests!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:51:58 PM by Brent » Logged

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »

Hey guys I just wanted to make a quick post letting you know we just put up our press demo in the Playtesting forum. Please check it out if you get a chance we would love to get your feedback on it!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=43034.0

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »

New concept art!

Full size.

We just started working full time with an incredibly awesome artist, Justin, who recently finished this piece. With a successful Kickstarter we are hoping to upgrade Grimoire's current, mostly placeholder art, with something in the style of the scene above.

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »

State of Grimoire (09/02/2014)

We haven't been awesome at transparency lately so I thought I would take some time and let everyone know what we have been up to. The list of features in a playable state is growing each day and we are really excited with how far the game has come. A huge thanks to our small but awesome community and all of your feedback it is very much appreciated.

Combat Preview Demo
We are finishing up work on the first draft of the Public Combat Preview demo today and are on track to have it ready in time for our Kickstarter currently scheduled to begin in the next two weeks. This is an early prototype of our future co-op survival mode which will have a much more complex progression system, objectives, and enemy AI. In its current form it is designed as a way for people interested in the game to try out our classes and general game style as well as preview the games combat.

Kickstarter and Greenlight
As I mentioned above we are beginning both campaigns very soon. We are finishing up some last minute polish for the Kickstarter campaign and have recently begun trying to really get the word out there about Grimoire and what it is. We are only a small team so have hired an independent PR firm, Novy PR, to help us with the campaigns. Even with their help though it is going to be a huge job marketing the game and we would very much appreciate any and all help on that front so please feel free to tell your friends about the game!

Alpha Tests and Conquest
We shifted focus a few weeks ago to create the Combat Preview so a lot of Conquest changes we planned were put on the back burner until we had time to focus on them. This is also why we have only been testing internally. Soon though this will all change and we will once again switch back into full time work on Grimoire's main game modes: Conquest, Arena, and Co-op (Safeguard). Starting with Conquest mode (with perhaps a small side of FFA DM)! Alpha tests will resume once again with a ton of really cool changes we have planned from passive skills, selectable spell revamps and buffs, and even a change of pace for one class. We will also be introducing new and improved versions of our current map pool: Breach, Inner City, The Pass, and Market. In addition to that we will be introducing the earliest drafts of each new map into Alpha testing much sooner than before so we can get even more feedback on their overall design.

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »

Been working on getting some cool GIFs ready for the Kickstarter page. One thing we really want to make clear with Grimoire is that it's not just "Fireball, wait for cooldown, fireball, repeat". Some classes are more basic than others but this is part of their design as we wanted to have some classes that could serve as "starting" classes and also some people just like to keep things simple (I personally love playing the Fire class which is one of our starter classes). In addition to these starter classes we also have classes and spells that add a bit more depth to the game.

One example of this can be seen in the GIF below. Three enemies are camping behind that building so one from the opposing team sends in a Lightning Orb and retriggers it once it gets into the position he wants. In this case he perfectly positions it to flush out the campers.

Another main part of Grimoire's gameplay is the ability to outplay your opponents. Most selectable spells both Utility and Movement categories are designed with this in mind. In the GIF below you can see a 1v1 fight where the player being chased uses his Blink movement spell to dodge an incoming attack. The chasing player then catches up to the runner with a Blink of his own.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:18:40 PM by Brent » Logged

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »

Updated the OP with the Final build of our Combat Preview demo.

We have also been working on getting some interesting GIFs ready for the Kickstarter. Here's a preview of what we have so far:

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »

this looks AWESOME :O the visuals are really good! looks super fun too!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 03:53:53 AM »

This looks fantastic, will be grabbing the demo after work for sure! Hell yeah to wizard warfare!

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »

this looks AWESOME :O the visuals are really good! looks super fun too!

Thanks Connor! We are hoping to make them look even better with a successful Kickstarter and throughout Early Access.

This looks fantastic, will be grabbing the demo after work for sure! Hell yeah to wizard warfare!

Awesome, thanks for the kind words. If you find the time we would love to hear what you think of it.

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »

Kickstarter and Greenlight campaign launch!

After long months of bug fixing, adding single player content, tweaking spell values, refining visual effects, adjusting maps, creating art,  and writing tons and tons of text about Grimoire – we’ve finally arrived on Greenlight and Kickstarter.

This is a major milestone for Omniconnection and is the first step to steam integration. With a successful greenlight we’ll be on our way to running multiplayer tests through the steam service which means we can finally implement a much needed server browser and patching system. These critical features will allow us to ramp up testing, speed up content delivery, and make the game available to far more people than is currently possible.

Furthermore, now that we’ve done the work necessary to reach a larger audience, we can refocus our efforts on improving Grimoire itself.

Please support us on Greenlight and Kickstarter and help us finish this beast!

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »

We are a little over two days into our Greenlight and Kickstarter campaigns and so far things are going really well and the overall response to the game has been overwhelmingly positive. I know I always was interested in seeing peoples Greenlight numbers so here are ours so far.

It looks like we got bumped off the "Recent Submissions" slider bar on the frontpage of Greenlight earlier today and the overall traffic has slowed since then. It also seems that Greenlight traffic in general is down from where it was even just a few months ago. It's hard to say exactly why this is but I would imagine it has to be at least in part due to the launch of two huge games recently (Archeage and Destiny).

While overall we still believe we are doing well there is still a long way to go with both campaigns and we are doing everything we can to get the attention of the larger press sites, independent sites, and Let's Players/Streamers.

If Grimoire is something you would be interested in playing please take a few minutes and let your friends know about the game and vote for us on Greenlight. The sooner we get through Greenlight the sooner we will be able to open up our tests to a larger player base and therefore able to test and gather the feedback that we need to reach the games full potential.

Brent
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »

It has been a crazy ride these past days and we have all been bouncing between working on our upcoming Alpha test this weekend, marketing, and managing our two campaigns. We are starting to see some signs of the hard work paying off though as earlier tonight we got an article on Massively! Shortly after which we got a $5000 backer and a $250 backer! This brings our Kickstarter up to $11,408 out of the $42000 goal with 30 days to go.

The Greenlight campaign is also going strong despite being knocked off of the "recent submissions" slider we are at 66% of the way to the top 100 with 3,543 'Yes' votes! We are also about to be knocked off the front page of the Most Recent games tab on Greenlight and so are worried that perhaps that will effect traffic as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic