Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:11:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralConlangers?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Conlangers?  (Read 3813 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2015, 05:10:34 AM »

Any of you on here? Creators of constructed languages. Kool kidz. Y'kno'.

If so, how about an interesting discussion on the use and misuse (*cough*Skyrim*cough*) of conlanging in games and perhaps other media?

Am I all alone?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »

is this where i kill myself for being uncool

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »

I feel sorry for you.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »

thank you spooky gosts

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »

when i made songs as a kid i often couldnt think of any lyrics so i just sang random syllables, does that count?
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 12:46:50 PM »

Can there actually be any misuses? I mean, it's made up, right?

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »

I'm a linguist, so yeah, when I see most "languages" in games I twitch, like I imagine physicists do when spaceships don't have inertia or something.  (I have that problem with written SF and fantasy as well, though; it always bugs me when SF tries hard to be "hard" about things like physics and biology, but when it comes to language throws even physics and biology out the window.  I understand why books and games do this, but it still makes me twitch.)

Someday I want to create an imaginary localization engine, where you can input some part of your content and it will "localize" it for a procedurally generated language (including synthesized voice in a number of voices, and images of the written form), but reasonably realistically.  Not just doing a cryptogram, but actually making parse trees, transforming them, etc., so that the process would be discoverable and reversible by a dedicated player, but their process in doing so would be more realistic than discovering that <E> corresponds to <S>.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »

like I don't mean this as an insult but I can't imagine a greater waste of time and mental resources than inventing a fake language

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »

like I don't mean this as an insult but I can't imagine a greater waste of time and mental resources than inventing a fake language

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »

Is it bad that I first assumed you were talking about program-specific scripting languages like GML and JASS?

More on-topic, I think it would be interesting to play a video game where the primary challenge was attempting to learn a constructed language inside of it (as a "puzzle" of sorts) and it was necessary to learn it to finish the game. Perhaps it could be a game about a space archeologist who discovers ruins of an alien civilization and must piece together all the information to avert <insert disaster here>.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »

We're talking about ones here that are not actually fake (cf. World of Warcraft) or integrityless cyphers (cf. Skyrim) but one's that do behave and have the integrity of a full, true language (cf. David J. Peterson's Dothraki for Game of Thrones).

It's a pretty great investment of mental resources if you're interested in linguistics, because it stretches so far beyond the constructed language inself. Working with it, you discover and learn a lot about linguistics, grammatical theories, phonetics and other languages in general. The more experienced you get, the more pedantic you get and the more you want it to feel naturalistic and so there is no end to your consultation of natural languages and academic papers and university textbooks.

My knowledge of linguistics today, and especially of niche fields such as Indo-European, specifically Germanic, specifically North Germanic diachronics and history, are absolutely nigh-academic, but I've never actually gone to school for it. So for me, it's not so much as constructing languages as the main hobby as it is having linguistics as the main hobby, with constructed languages being a great tool to learn more in a satisfying and creative way. Still, having constructed languages as one's main interest is also often the leeway into linguistics proper. I've seen it many times.

So it boils down to your interests, and languages are an enormous one of mine! c: Perfectly fine if it ain't your cup of tea in the slightest too. But for me solving some nice historical sound changes complete with semantic drift and all sorts of analogy and what have you is just as pleasing as solving a programming problem or finishing a drawing. It's an art form.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:02:14 PM »

i like the idea of linguistics as an area of study but not for video game orcs
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »

Luckily, considering the breakthroughs in deciphering the guttural cockney they are most often portrayed as barking out, soon you won't have a choice
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 12:49:57 PM »

Luckily, considering the breakthroughs in deciphering the guttural cockney they are most often portrayed as barking out, soon you won't have a choice

DA HUMIES ARE ON TA US, BOSS!

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 12:52:25 PM »

^ GUYS WHO PLAY VIDEOGAMES

PartyPooper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »

your avatar is disgusting looks like someones butt after taking a shit and not cleaning up
a fake language is a waste of time because the objective of a language is communication, dumbass. video games are made for entertainment, therefore it fulfills its task by existing and a fake language doesnt
dnt even think about replying how a fake language could make communication because otherwise it wouldnt be called FAKE
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 03:19:42 PM »

"video games are proper entertainment and people who enjoy things i do not enjoy are wasting more time than i am"

*clutches cheeto dust stained anime pillow tightly*

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »

The anime pillow exists to serve a purpose, which is that it may Waifu.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 11:22:42 PM »

I work at university doing IT work in a linguistics department. I'm surrounded by nerdy linguists who love that kinda stuff.

Personally I think it's cool. A friend of mine tried his hand at making a language (that was useable!) years ago, back when we were at school, for a fantasy setting we came up with and messed around in. Interestingly, I dropped all the language stuff despite revisiting the rest of the setting since then  Shrug
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 05:57:03 AM »

^ GUYS WHO PLAY VIDEOGAMES
i havent played a video game since 2012
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic