Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411567 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:36:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsP_ssy Lip
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: P_ssy Lip  (Read 2386 times)
Rolento
Level 0

Make it in Red British Butter

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »

First time in a while, but thanks to a kind NeoGafer, took his advice to start a devlog here.

Note the the forum title isn't accurate, I just didnt want to have a title popping up that may come off as offensive while people are at work/scrolling/etc.

Pussy Lip

Story centers around a violent biker (protagonist) in search of his ex-girlfriend, a stripper by the alias of Pussy Lip (Pussy as in Cat) for reasons currently unknown. His journey takes across the US in search of individuals that know of her whereabouts or have crossed roads with her. Some live but many die along the way.

I plan to build it as a title that is arcadey (travel sections: motorcycle beat em ups, test your might style death games, etc.), conversational (simple choice/dialogue), spontaneous (kill when you want), and more TBD 

Influences are based around primarily on Norse storytelling, strippers, murder, and death games. Game influences stem from titles like Carmen Sandiego, Westerado, Mortal Kombat, and more as it fills out through development.

This is a one man project with me programming and designing all the art. It is being done in GameMaker, as I am the most experienced in GaemMaker. I primarily create art installations as my main form of work (GameMaker has been a good friend) and hold a a graduate degree in Art + Technology in Contemporary Art.

Here are some early development art, note I say early for a reason (character designs are a go, but the interface being shown is getting scrapped):

Currently the game's base is being built and it's already turning out great. I do not know how I will achieve all that I have planned, but I am setting this as a project that will take me at least a year. This is a dream project that I finally have the time and ability to create.

I've created a finished game named "Yggdrasil" in a similar style that needs some minor tweaks before I can officially release it, but below you can see some buggy GIFs of it in action (shot during development, so final release looks a little different):

You can also visit my online shirt shop if you want to see some more things in the same style that I design on my free time.

if you want to follow along you can watch this thread and listen in on Twitter if you'd like ^_^

Really stoked about doing this, looking to the hard work ahead, and dev make time!  Beer!

Sorry for the mess of the thread as I'm still getting use to getting back into TIGSource Forums >_<

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:01:36 PM »

wow  Crazy
okay, everything looks very unique in style and colors, i like it.
and everything fits, like, all the art fits with each other, except for the hamburguers... whats up with the hamburguers?
Rolento
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »

wow  Crazy
okay, everything looks very unique in style and colors, i like it.
and everything fits, like, all the art fits with each other, except for the hamburguers... whats up with the hamburguers?

There's a backstory for that where it has some Norse story tied in. The short of it is that Odin's eye was lost at a fast food joint where it was deep fried and became part of a value meal. In the game Yggdrasil Odin's Eye (known as Wotan) is heading back to the Mimir's Well where it belongs... so yeah  Tongue

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:15:25 PM »

Really nice visuals.
Yxven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »

The characters are awesome.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »

Stunning style!  Really fits the Norse-mythology fever-dream I'm picking up on here.
bounds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 11:52:56 PM »

I have no idea of what I am looking at, but I'm hooked!

folks out there might think I'm crazy, but I've got to rescue Daisy!
Rolento
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 08:33:41 AM »

So originally I was considering the inclusion of a gun system in this game, but I am more leaning towards a beat-em-up but road rash style.

I've been wanting to code this all week but work has been exhausting all week  Droop

This is an old animation test still that made me realize that character portraits will work better than fully animated ones due to time restraints:

Here's another older character WIP though:

In the mean time enjoy this Luck simulator I made a year ago:

Extremely Lucky
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:38:42 AM by Rolento » Logged

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 08:46:53 AM »

really dig the art style

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 09:25:51 AM »

I too love the style Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Rolento
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »

So I cleaned up Yggdrasil where it's more universally playable now. If you'd like to give it a go head over to my itch.io and give it a whirl.

Download Yggdrasil Page Link

Note that Pussy Lip will handle and look alot better than this as I was restrained by a semester of time since it was built for my thesis (along with writing and defending... etc). If any control issues pop up please let me know. It's recommended to be played with 2 controllers and is 2 player only.

also you can feel free to download my other experimental work focused on a section of Wagner's Ring Cycle Opera:

Download Page

It's very basic and short, but was part of my study working towards my thesis. Just use Spacebar to navigate.

I'll come back and post soon some more progress on Pussy Lip in the next few days as I go along ^_^

In the time being though enjoy these experiments I've made in the past  Smiley

sec32
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 03:50:38 AM »

I'm intrigued. Excellent visuals and atmosphere. Very unique. I approve ^^
Rolento
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »

Here's something I prototyped recently, but will most likely not use in the game. Just was messing with overhead controls + AI

This dosn't mean this game is an overhead shmup of any sort, just messing with things ^_^

Rolento
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 08:59:11 AM »

I've been put on a major delay from developing the game currently due to my workload at my regular daytime job :-/

Here though is some art research I did a while ago exploring some Norse moments with Odin and Mimir (click image for full res)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic