Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:40:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMonster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate  (Read 17870 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2015, 02:11:10 AM »

Too soon. They should have waited a bit before unveiling this.

welp you have to remember that mh4 has been out out for a long time in japan and took forever to make it to the west (just like every MH). we probably won't get the "vanilla" MHX at all and get the "G" version right away like we did with 4.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2015, 06:12:25 AM »

Man fuck the 8 star seltas queen.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2015, 08:44:01 AM »

Man fuck the 8 star seltas queen.
She's not that hard once you realize she can easily one-shot you if you stay in front of her. Go for her legs and smack the face only after you knock her down. Also, blast weapons are super powerful against her.

One of the quests in this pack is an Arena Apex Diablos hunt. Notably, the Diablos does not begin in Apex form so you have plenty of time to damage it before it becomes dangerous. This makes it a great choice for newbs looking to farm Zenith Wyvern Gems for weapon honing.
Thanks for the tip. I've been a bit out of the loop and missed the DLC. Got a few easy Zenith Gems today.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2015, 06:35:37 AM »

300 hours that I will never get back, still addicted. I'm really wanting to take a second pass at all the guild quests I missed in my frenetic journey toward the G-Rank crown. Lots of optional quests missed, and it's hard to find a group that wants to play nonessential quests.

Anyway, rather than having "secret" key quests that unlock the urgent quest, it should be randomized what quests one has to take in order to advance. Otherwise you end up with half of the game remaining unplayed.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2015, 02:06:12 AM »

I'm really wanting to take a second pass at all the guild quests I missed in my frenetic journey toward the G-Rank crown. Lots of optional quests missed, and it's hard to find a group that wants to play nonessential quests.

I'd totally be up for it. I've got G-rank sidequests mostly cleared, but my High and Low rank are still full of holes. My FC: 3583-1584-6111

Tom Grochowiak
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2015, 04:03:51 AM »

I finally made a greatsword set last night so I can use the weapon properly. The reason I hadn't done so earlier is because it requires a peculiar trifecta of skills (Focus, CritDraw, Sheathing) that aren't really worth using on any other weapon type. So I kept putting it off because it was never my main weapon type anyway.

But the nice thing about Greatswords is that the swords themselves are remarkably straightforward. All you care about is the raw damage output. That makes it easy to pick a sword and just stick with it forever, since there's no need to think about any elements and status.

In the end I was able to fit Focus, CritDraw, Sheathing, Sharpness+1 and Negate Stun on the same set, which is pretty awesome. This +13 Stun +4 FastCharge talisman was certainly a crucial piece of the puzzle.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2015, 04:32:31 AM »

I need to make a dedicated GS set too. It used to be my main weapon before I switched to Switch Axe and I start missing it. Up to early G-rank, you can do okay without Focus and CritDraw, but you really need that extra boost for Apex monsters and normal charges are way too slow.

What set are you using, Nillo? The BaiBaiKaiser template or something more fancy?

Tom Grochowiak
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2015, 04:48:59 AM »

What set are you using, Nillo? The BaiBaiKaiser template or something more fancy?
I don't remember the exact pieces, but it includes Diablos Helm X, Lecturer's Suit X and the Kushala Cocoon X among other things. I remember the suit quite well because it requires tickets that you can only get from a late caravan quest and I had to catch up on it before I could finish the set.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2015, 11:00:02 AM »

The July DLC pack includes the usual additions - 14 quests, 5 weapons, another Palico and some Palico gear. But more importantly it provides a way to hunt G Rank Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos. This opens up a number of weapon trees that were previously blocked by the lack of materials of these species.

Also, be sure to mark July 17 in your calendar, because that's when we're getting the dazzling Star Knight set. If you don't know what it is, take a look at GaijinHunter's

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2015, 04:06:00 AM »

I've picked up MH4U again recently, because some of my friends started playing the game. I decided to create a new character for several reasons. First, I felt that it would be more fair to the others if I played with similar gear and items, instead of what I have on my HR 114 character. And secondly, since I hadn't touched the game in something like half a year, I figured it would be a good opportunity to start on a fresh slate.

For this character, I chose an additional restriction to impose upon myself. I will not use any of the three main weapon types that I used before: Sword and Shield, Insect Glaive or Greatsword. This has forced me out of my comfort zone and I've learned a lot of things that I was only vaguely aware of during my first run, especially regarding the Dual Blades and the Hunting Horn.

The most noticeable difference is that Dual Blades are significantly more demanding compared to the SnS, and I don't just mean in terms of player skill. It also takes a lot more resources to effectively use it in a fight. First you've gotta find a way to deal with the stamina problem. This weapon consumes stamina so fast that it feels like Demon Mode is over before it's even started. I'm going to prioritize farming Dash Juice and crafting any gear that has stamina-relevant skills for this reason. Secondly, DB eats sharpness really quick so you need Razor Sharp (or Speed Sharpening) too. Coming from SnS, I'm already used to this issue so it's not a huge deal for me, it's just something I'll have to think about later.

Right now, I mainly have trouble adjusting to the necessity of collecting juice with Demon Mode. Compared to Archdemon Mode, which gives you excellent mobility in the form of a spinning attack, Demon Mode is like walking knee deep in mud, locking you into long-ass animations and making it very difficult to dodge or stick to the monster while you're doing your thing. If you don't have perfect timing, you can get pushed out of Demon Mode and have to re-activate it, wasting a lot of time. But there's one trick you can do and it's collecting juice from small monsters like jaggis and herbivores. If you come into the monster's area with half the bar already filled, that makes your job a lot easier.

As for Hunting Horn... well! In retrospect, I've judged this weapon more harshly than it deserves. It's actually a very comfortable weapon to use. It has a wide swing that deals a lot of damage and you can roll to dodge or close in on a monster. It's far easier than I thought! You just need to memorize the songs. Aside from that, it has a very simple moveset. I guess the only problem with this weapon when soloing is that you can't cut any tails with it. If you find yourself in need of cuttable monster parts, you gotta pull out something else.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2015, 04:46:47 AM »

i could never get into the hunting horn. :/
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2015, 05:20:50 AM »

The first thing you must realize about the hunting horn is that it's for bashing monster heads first, and playing support songs second. If you sit on the sidelines and just do recitals then you are wasting most of the weapon's potential.

In fact, the recitals are actually some of the most damaging moves available to it. You'll want to hit R and recite at a moment when you can hit the monster with the initial swing and then play the song. This requires some knowledge of monster attack patterns, so it's okay if you fail in the beginning, but hitting monsters with the recital should be your goal to improve the speed of your hunts.

The second recital (hitting R again) is only used if you have a big opening. Normally it's difficult to achieve a double recital without getting hit by the monster so just dodge roll out of the first recital. Remember to always roll after recital to immediately end the recital animation.

Movement speed UP is mandatory. Keep it active at all times so that you can move unsheathed at a high speed. As for other songs, Attack UP is extremely good, so it's a good idea to look for it when choosing what horn to use. Earplugs is fantastic too.

As mentioned, the moveset for this weapon is very simple. You have X, A, and X+A that give you different notes. X+A does the most damage, while A has good sustained damage, and X is relatively weak. Keep this in mind when you don't need the notes, and use A for repeated smacks while using X+A for a single, powerful bash.

Disclaimer: I am still somewhat new to this weapon so there may be some errors in the post, but I've had nothing but success with the HH so far (while I struggle to complete hunts with the DB).

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2015, 05:33:15 AM »

I haven't been able to make any armor sets specifically for Hunting Horn yet (still in low rank), but when I do, I think I'm going to go for an evasion-based set. The horn is good at roll-canceling animations and you can stay unsheathed for most of the hunt and use dodge rolls to survive. So evasion skills should be a great help with that. Then all that's left is to slap on five Maestro decorations and it's done.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2015, 07:18:47 AM »

As someone who plays almost exclusively DB and HH, here's some random advice:

-You can link HH's A attack's second swing into any other note. This makes getting X+A notes a lot faster.
-I don't think Maestro is very good, at least not with certain horns. Maestro actually makes Health Boost worse since the cooldown before you can heal with it again gets longer. If you don't have health boost then it's an overall gain though. But I also feel like, for most horns, the song selection is small enough that you can keep all the effects up all the time without Maestro.
-If you want to get into archdemon mode quick with DB, just spam the A attack in demon mode. It builds meter incredibly fast, has great vertical reach, and you can dodge out of it quickly. You can angle it left or right but the timing's a bit tricky.
-Stamina negation and other forms of stamina management are nice on DB, but though they may seem like it, they aren't a necessity. I generally opt for evasion skills since it makes you able to power-step through everything (note that the bonus is capped at evade+1 exclusively for db though)

I do like evasion on HH as well, and since all the KO-inducing skills are bad, HH is a pretty non-demanding weapon when it comes to skill selection. So I once had evasion and evade distance gemmed on, and that was a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:27:09 AM by Glyph » Logged

Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2015, 08:05:41 AM »

You guys call yourselves hunters? A real hunter can take down an Apex Savage Deviljho Solo, with just his bare hands, and make it back with at least his head in tact.

Seriously though, good to know there are fellow hunters here, one of these days maybe a few of us can band together for a hunt, I've yet to manage G-Rank yet, but thats because I don't have very many allies to hunt with, and it should be said I'm actually a very capable hunter.

I mained DS in MH3U, But moved on to the IG in MH4U.

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »

So, uh guys? Did you know that there is an "item set" feature in this game? Because I've been manually putting items in my inventory this whole time.

I have 167 hours of play on my save file...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »

So, uh guys? Did you know that there is an "item set" feature in this game?

wait wait wait what?

aklsdaklsklsdkldkldfjkldfkllasdgdklf
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2016, 06:56:53 AM »

I have 10 hours and I knew that

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »

I do, yet I've been too lazy to use it.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »

Too lazy to use a feature specifically made for lazy people. That's how we do it!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic