Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411596 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 09:06:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBattledots - a fast paced strategy game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Battledots - a fast paced strategy game  (Read 1283 times)
KM-Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:15:56 AM »

We are currently working on Battledots. It`s a fast-paced strategy game, where you attack the opponent and defend your base with dots!

Here is a trailer:

(it`s made with an older version of the game, so some art like the logo and animations have been changed)

Game Features:
- over 100 Levels
- over 15 different Dots with unique abilities
- HotSeat Multiplayer (play against your friend on one device)
- Endless-Mode with Leaderboard
- Cross-Platform Online-Mulitplayer

It will be release for iOS, Android and WP8 in April 2015.

You can try the beta here:
http://www.km-games.com/beta/Battledots.html

You can play the first Stage (28 Level) and the Endless-Mode.
The Online Multiplayer is not yet integrated and the HotSeat-Multiplayer Mode does not work in the Web-Player Version.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!  Wink
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »

This was a bit more interesting than I expected based on the title and screenshots.

-Level 1 seems a little pointless. Why not teach that at the beginning of a more normal level?

-Level 2 seemed really weird. The enemy sent far too many attacks to deal with on the top two rows, and nothing at all on the bottom row...so I just had to attack it on the bottom. Again, it seemed kind of pointless because there was no actual challenge, and not even any real need to use the new attack type.

-I found it a little frustrating that I wasn't allowed to click things quickly but the AI could put attacks as close together as they wanted.

-The "Stopper" is a cool idea that seems like it's not used as well as it could be. I really thought I could set up "combos" with it by stopping a row and then sending something to deal with the enemies...but I can't. It seems like a missed opportunity, but maybe there's a reason for it.

-A button to go straight to the next level, rather than always having to go through the level-select, might be nice.

-I like the art style a lot. It's nice and clean, and everything is visually easy to understand.

I got bored and stopped after level 5 because it seemed like it was going to take forever for me to get to a level where I actually had to try. Personally, I like it when I can skip over the tutorial stuff and just play the game as it's meant to be played. That's just me, though. Maybe some people will appreciate that you give them time to learn each thing, one-by-one.

Edit: This seemed negative, but apart from the tutorial stuff being annoying, I mostly like how this feels to play. It seems like there's a lot of potential here, and I would've loved to jump ahead and see if that potential is realized.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:14:22 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
KM-Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:03:10 AM »

Thank you, This is really helpful!

- Yes, Level1 is kind of pointless, I just wanted to make an "easy" start, and show him how the interface works, but i think a few enemy dots should not be a big problem  Wink
- My intention on Level2 was to teach the use of the new dot "flash" to start fast attacks on empty lanes to the enemy base, but you could be right that it`s kind of weird to make one lane complete empty...
- regarding controls, maybe i should mention this also somewhere... you can keep an "spawner" pressed to constantly spawn dots (but there is a little cooldown between each dot). also you can swipe up or down at the spawner bar to spawn on several lines at once. and you could also press two or more spawner buttons at once (but this does obviously not work in the webplayer-version)
- regarding the "stopper" i do not really unterstand what you mean, you can spawn the stopper and directly after him other dots,
if you mean stronger dots, you will get in level13 a bomb to blow up all enemy on a (half of a) line
- the idea to go back to the selectlevel screen is that you can directly see if you have something unlocked and also that you have the possibilty to choose which level you want to do next (e.g. after level you can choose if you want to do level5 or level9) but adding a button to directly go into the next level is now problem, so i probably just add a second button for this.
- glad you like the art!

The difficulty in the first levels is pretty easy, but i didn`t want to overhelm new player, and also show the pros and cons of each dot.  but the difficulty increases pretty fast in the next levels...

You can also try the endless mode, this one gets challenging very fast.  Evil

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:33:34 AM »

- regarding the "stopper" i do not really unterstand what you mean, you can spawn the stopper and directly after him other dots,
if you mean stronger dots, you will get in level13 a bomb to blow up all enemy on a (half of a) line

What I mean is that when you use the stopper, it stops you from placing new dots on that line until it runs out. It's nice to have a break from enemies attacking on that row, but I feel like it would be more interesting if I could attack them while they're frozen.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
KM-Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:36:33 AM »

No, no, this would be stupid  Tongue
You can of course spawn dots and attack when you use the stopper and freeze the enemy. Maybe the enemy used also a stopper on you?
KM-Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 06:50:36 AM »

I have uploaded a new Version.
A very early Version of the Online-Multiplayer is now included.
KM-Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »

A new update is now available.
With lots of interface improvements and Bug fixes.

You can also play it on gamejolt: http://gamejolt.com/games/strategy-sim/battledots-beta/54522/

KM-Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 03:30:57 AM »

New Version available for testing, with online lobby, mini-chat for online multiplayer and improved loading times.
http://gamejolt.com/search/?q=battledots

Feedback is very much appreciated!  Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:53:47 AM by KM-Games » Logged
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »

playing on pc i feel like i should be able to use my number keys to switch my units

KM-Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 01:16:10 PM »

Thanks for the Feedback!  Smiley
Currently is only a Release planned for mobile devices (end of April).
But if it should be successful we may Release it also for pc, and then we will add of course also a keyboard Support.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic