Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 01:33:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)baking normal maps and making textures for a tileset?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: baking normal maps and making textures for a tileset?  (Read 656 times)
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2015, 11:53:40 AM »

looking for advice on this, I don't really know much about 3d art.

So I have a tileset, currently divided into small pieces like so:

It's pretty much just a beveled cube divided into quarters and then modified to each shape. They will be joined into the full tiles I need and then imported to Unity where I have a tile manager system.
So, I'm making sort of a 2.5d platformer and I need to make a tiling texture as well as normal maps (I want the edges of the tiles to be very smooth looking).

Do I make one quarter of the texture and then use mirror modifiers to make them tile? how do I make the normal maps for smoothness? guh, so many questions. What do I do here?
I'm using Blender, I figure I'll just follow some tutorials for the whole baking normal maps part, but I'm confused about what to do in relation to using mirrors and optimizing and whatnot.
Can I use the same normal map texture for each corner? but then use a different diffuse texture as well?

Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:01:17 AM »

Sorry if I'm answering the wrong question, but assuming you're trying to make seamless textures, you'd do that within an image editor with an offset option (i.e photoshop). If the texture is already seamless, I think just applying it to each individual corner should work as long as each one is properly UV unwrapped. I think. Sorry if that doesn't help, I'm not a master at Blender.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic