Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:56:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Would you help me improve my pixel background? (plus in game footage lol)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Would you help me improve my pixel background? (plus in game footage lol)  (Read 1388 times)
mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:28:26 PM »

Hello all again, so I took your advice and finally got time to make it look better, here's how it looks right now...

Let me know what you think and if there's any advice I will really appreciated it!

Original post:
Hello all!

So I spent the last few days trying to create a background, I am really really bad with picking colors and everything but I tried. And ended up with a three layer parallax, but when I put into the actual game it just looks pretty bad, I don't know how to describe it, but it just doesnt feel right... any advice..?

This is in game screen shot:

This is the full first layer:  

Thanks a lot guys!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:34:09 PM by mzn528 » Logged

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:35:43 PM »

Is the character on top of the background or is the background above a plane that you walk over? I'm guessing the latter.

Here's an example you could use that's similar to what you want:

So perhaps try to make it darker or more distinct/blurred so it looks like it's in the distance/separate from the foreground.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:55:50 PM »

Just a tip for Game Maker, you need to disable interpolation between colors in the settings, otherwise pixel art graphics are going to look blurry and bad.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:01:13 PM »

honestly I think that looks damn good. I do have a few tips.
The blood color seems like it's clashing a little with the green background. I'd go for a lighter red. Maybe the sunshafts should be white, rather than yellow. Light rays don't really tint the surroundings in quite that way. The ground texture has a couple of odd colors, too, which don't 100% fit with the rest - maybe too olive. Don't be afraid to reuse colors, if you can make sure everything is still clear.

good luck!

mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »

Is the character on top of the background or is the background above a plane that you walk over? I'm guessing the latter.

Here's an example you could use that's similar to what you want:

So perhaps try to make it darker or more distinct/blurred so it looks like it's in the distance/separate from the foreground.

Took your advice Lucas! Just updated it, does it look better now? Thank you!

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »

Just a tip for Game Maker, you need to disable interpolation between colors in the settings, otherwise pixel art graphics are going to look blurry and bad.

You are my hero and savior, take my sword

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 02:35:51 PM »

honestly I think that looks damn good. I do have a few tips.
The blood color seems like it's clashing a little with the green background. I'd go for a lighter red. Maybe the sunshafts should be white, rather than yellow. Light rays don't really tint the surroundings in quite that way. The ground texture has a couple of odd colors, too, which don't 100% fit with the rest - maybe too olive. Don't be afraid to reuse colors, if you can make sure everything is still clear.

good luck!

Thanks for the kind work sSuite! I took your advice and implemented a little hue shifting, I think now it looks a bit better? And the blood doesnt seem to blend now. Let me know what you think and thanks!

DevLog
sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 03:19:12 PM »

That looks a lot better! nicely done.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic