Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:14:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDraw N' Drive - a lineriding driving game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Draw N' Drive - a lineriding driving game  (Read 792 times)
NongBenz
Level 0

Benz

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2015, 10:42:02 AM »

Randomly generated and progressively harder levels. Hazards including rocks and rainfall. Inspired by linerider style mechanics but with more objective oriented play (and ditching the sled!).

Some gameplay:

Its out on iOS and Android already but I'll post PC/MAC builds here for playtesting :D

EDIT: Links fixed, thanks Landshark!

PC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ZCEPUMZxqCWDVIYWdlNmNRV0E/view?usp=sharing

Mac: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ZCEPUMZxqCelZSenFnTlNpOEU/view?usp=sharing

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drawndrive.drawndrivefree&hl=en

I'm interested on more ideas for gameplay and feedback on the current difficulty curve ... too easy or hard?

Thanks so much  Beer!
Benz
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:05:13 PM by NongBenz » Logged

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »

I tried downloading for the pc but I only got the .exe without any folders that I need. I looked at your video and it looks really fun! you could try drawing objects like bridges and rocks that are shaped in weird ways to get overhangs and gaps to jump.

NongBenz
Level 0

Benz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:04:21 PM »

Cool ideas! I'm sure I could extend the world generator to add a little more spice to the levels.. and thanks for telling me about the PC version - I only had access to my iMAC but the download link is fixed now :D

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 12:19:08 AM »

I like this, however...

1. My "Level 3" never seems to be the same
2. When I fail level 3, I have to go back to level 1
3. When I'm freewheeling down the hill, why am I using fuel?
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 01:06:29 AM »

I played on PC.

-Is there a key I can press to go to the next level? If I'm using the keyboard for all the gameplay, having to take my hand off the keyboard to click something isn't ideal.

-For the first four or five levels I played, I basically just held "Right". I wasn't sure what the point of the game was. It seemed really, really boring.

-At that point, I decided to customize my car even though there was no reason to because the terrain wasn't challenging.

-It seemed weird that I couldn't click on the suspension/tire/etc. icons and only the prices were clickable. I would also strongly recommend setting up some mouseover reactions for the clickable elements.

-Upgrading the tires didn't seem to do anything at all. I expected a faster start with better grip, but it felt no different.

-I never even came close to running out of fuel, so there didn't seem to be much reason for fuel to exist, especially since it goes down no matter what situation the car is in.

-I really like the default handling, by the way. The physics feel pretty good. I didn't even feel inclined to upgrade my car until I got to some huge hills, because it felt good to drive it.

-I'm not a fan of the falling rocks. It's annoying to lose because of random chance if one blocks you when you're going up a steep hill.

-Starting over from the beginning is a bit of a problem because it's not made clear that you've started over. I thought I was passing level after level, and wondered why the game was so incredibly boring because I only rarely saw hills.

-I did try out the editor briefly. I found the interface a bit clunky, since I couldn't move the camera without switching to the camera tool. Why not use the middle mouse button? Why not erase things with the right mouse button? At least on a desktop, there doesn't seem to be any reason for multiple tool buttons. Even on a touch-screen, I imagine you could do something like two fingers for camera movement, one for drawing.

Apart from the whole "starting from the beginning" thing, I think my biggest issue is that none of what I'm doing feels like it matters. The upgrades don't feel different, and I'm getting money for collecting things I basically have to collect anyway. If it took skill to collect them all, then it'd feel more like an accomplishment. (Note: For a long time, I thought I had to collect them to pass, since the level ended when I got them all instead of at the finish line.)

I think the game's got potential. The car handles pretty well and the editor, clunky as it is, still does what it's meant to. I think it just really needs to feel like there's a purpose to everything.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic