Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:27:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How do you put together a poster/promotion art/title page?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you put together a poster/promotion art/title page?  (Read 851 times)
mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »

Hello guys, like the title suggested, when you do a poster/promotion art or even a title page, what's general resolution and composition you would use? For me I am doing a pixel art style for my game, and I got pretty confused when I was trying to put together a cover art for my game.

1. What would be a good resolution (aspect ratio) to use for cover art/kickstarter page? For pixel art at least, do people just do one at a lower resolution and resize it for display?

2. Will it be weird to do an actual drawing for cover when the art style for your game is pixel art...?

Thank you so much!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
CaLooch
Level 0

lost in thought...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:50:45 PM »

Promo art is like any other form of art.  Its about the story you're trying to tell.  For game promo art, you want people to be able to look at it and instantly understand what the game is about.  If the game is heavy on the action, it could be dynamic and "busy".  If its a calmer game, something more static can work.  There are a lot of options, you just have to be creative with it.

I'll assume that its for the souls-type game in your devlog, right?  so if thats the case, I assume that theres action with a grim feel to it.  Generally, a grim feel has a darker color composition so you would want to be spot on with the lighting and highlighting so people's eyes are drawn to the point of interest (ie: the character pose, or maybe a character sword swinging and colliding with somethings face)

There are a whole bunch of write ups out there explained by better artists than me on the subject.  I suggest reading up on composition theory

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:34:44 PM »

Promo art is like any other form of art.  Its about the story you're trying to tell.  For game promo art, you want people to be able to look at it and instantly understand what the game is about.  If the game is heavy on the action, it could be dynamic and "busy".  If its a calmer game, something more static can work.  There are a lot of options, you just have to be creative with it.

I'll assume that its for the souls-type game in your devlog, right?  so if thats the case, I assume that theres action with a grim feel to it.  Generally, a grim feel has a darker color composition so you would want to be spot on with the lighting and highlighting so people's eyes are drawn to the point of interest (ie: the character pose, or maybe a character sword swinging and colliding with somethings face)

There are a whole bunch of write ups out there explained by better artists than me on the subject.  I suggest reading up on composition theory

Thanks for the reply Calooch! The thing is it is pretty confusing for me to decide what resolution/ratio to use, but I guess that probably means I need to do different art for cover and promotional art..

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 09:54:10 AM »

for our game, we had a really high res poster drawn up by our lead artist, that would function as an exclusive reward and promotional material. the post can be seen here: https://twitter.com/Thrive905/status/596514104975740928

in terms of dimensions, this one was 3300x5100px and 300 ppi

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »

"Will it be weird to do an actual drawing for cover when the art style for your game is pixel art."

I think this is ok.  Like just imagine those posters of old NES games, some of which were hilarious, but some of which were pretty cool.  Think of it as an interpretation of the onscreen pixels. 

Otherwise just blowing up your characters 2x or 3x pixel size works (preserve hard edges in Photoshop)or maybe you can do a set piece large battle scene that uses up a lot of your characters.

This is always tricky when your game uses small sprites/characters.  I had the same issue with Prison Architect.  Luckily the Introversion guys hired a proper graphic designer who whipped up an awesome scene using both my game sprites ans other materials he put together (it helped that the art is in vector so it scales pretty easily).

Good luck!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic